Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Torn Labrum

Featured Replies

I am not sure where to post this but since a torn labrum is a common baseball injury, I thought I would start here.

 

My daughter is a volleyball player and tore her labrum. She has a SLAP tear (Type 1) that will require 2 anchors to repair. We got a second opinion from Dr. Kremchek. He is recommending intense rehab for 4-6 weeks, no playing during that time and claims if she is dedicated and works hard, the labrum will heal on its own. The rehab is directed at her back, scapular muscles and core. She has imbalances in her strength that, when addressed, will take the strain off the front of her shoulder.

 

My question - has anyone's kid been thru this type of treatment for a torn labrum? What were the results? There is not a lot of research out there on this. I think holding off on surgery is always a good idea but her senior season looms about 4 months away and she would like to play some of her last season at NDA.

 

She has a full ride to Wright State and that is our priority but we all know how kids feel about their senior seasons.

 

Anyway, any and all educated, experiences opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

It would be hard to believe that a Dr. as well respected as Dr. Kremchek would steer you wrong. What was the first opinion that was given?

What is the recovery time after surgery if you/your daughter goes the surgery route?

My won suffered a labrum injury playing MS football years ago. The first doctor we saw immediately said "surgery" and we were lined up for surgery. In talking to a friend who was tight with Dr Kremcheck he said my son should get a second opinion. We did. Dr K told us what he told you. He hates to do surgery if he's not 100% sure. When I asked why the other doc would recommend surgery he said in cases with the labrum every doctor sees the scan differently. Therapy worked out for my son.

 

Obviously, no two injuries are exactly the same so take this FWIW.

Labrum tears are very difficult to diagnose because of how deep it sits in the shoulder joint. Most require a dye injected MRI to diagnose, and even then it is still difficult. Did your daughter get a regular MRI or a dye injected one? In either case, I would definitely err on the side of caution with going the surgery route for a 16-17 year old. Just my two cents, but if it were my child, I think I would choose the more conservative route from a very well respected doctor such as Dr. Kremcheck.

Labrum surgery comes with a long, difficult recovery/rehab. I tore my labrum in my early 30's and opted for therapy over rehab. It took me about a year to get back to full strength (I wasn't a diligent as I should have been, and it was my non dominant shoulder). As others have said, it's hard to argue with Dr. Kremcheck, and labrum surgery is so invasive, I'd opt for therapy first if it were my kid.

  • Author

The first opinion was surgery with two anchors/sutures to repair. Estimates recovery time 4-5 months. Most athletes her age and level get back to about 80% of their pre injury level of play.

  • Author
My won suffered a labrum injury playing MS football years ago. The first doctor we saw immediately said "surgery" and we were lined up for surgery. In talking to a friend who was tight with Dr Kremcheck he said my son should get a second opinion. We did. Dr K told us what he told you. He hates to do surgery if he's not 100% sure. When I asked why the other doc would recommend surgery he said in cases with the labrum every doctor sees the scan differently. Therapy worked out for my son.

 

Obviously, no two injuries are exactly the same so take this FWIW.

Clyde - can you remember if your son had a SLAP tear? What level? How long did he have to rehab before being a full release to play was given?

  • Author
Labrum tears are very difficult to diagnose because of how deep it sits in the shoulder joint. Most require a dye injected MRI to diagnose, and even then it is still difficult. Did your daughter get a regular MRI or a dye injected one? In either case, I would definitely err on the side of caution with going the surgery route for a 16-17 year old. Just my two cents, but if it were my child, I think I would choose the more conservative route from a very well respected doctor such as Dr. Kremcheck.

 

Yes she had an MRI with dye (arthrogram i think they called it). And I agree Dr. Kremchek opinion should be "weighted" because of his experience and expertise.

  • Author
Labrum surgery comes with a long, difficult recovery/rehab. I tore my labrum in my early 30's and opted for therapy over rehab. It took me about a year to get back to full strength (I wasn't a diligent as I should have been, and it was my non dominant shoulder). As others have said, it's hard to argue with Dr. Kremcheck, and labrum surgery is so invasive, I'd opt for therapy first if it were my kid.

 

I have heard the recovery is tough and even more difficult the older you are older ;)

 

Dr. K said her shoulder looks excellent, rotator cuff is great, biceps tendon is not impacted at all. I only question because it seems like the uncommon recommendation not only locally but also across the nation - very lfew studies done.

What are causing these injuries? I have heard of at least 5 or 6 kids hurting or tearing their labrum.

  • Author
What are causing these injuries? I have heard of at least 5 or 6 kids hurting or tearing their labrum.

 

My daughter dove for a ball and, with an outstretched arm, landed on the hardwood. We thought it was just hypertended. She took a week

Off from overhead motions, rehabbed a little, iced and has just been playing with it. When WSU asked about her serve being off from last club season and the pain was getting worse as club progressed we got the MRI and official

diagnosis.

 

I know a baseball player who tore his sliding back to first base after the pitcher tried to pick him off.

My daughter dove for a ball and, with an outstretched arm, landed on the hardwood. We thought it was just hypertended. She took a week

Off from overhead motions, rehabbed a little, iced and has just been playing with it. When WSU asked about her serve being off from last club season and the pain was getting worse as club progressed we got the MRI and official

diagnosis.

 

I know a baseball player who tore his sliding back to first base after the pitcher tried to pick him off.

 

I tore my left labrum playing shortstop and diving for a ball hit up the middle. Same scenario...outstretched arm, and just landed funny on it. Never was any severe pain...just steady, dull pain, and severe weakness.

My son tore his last year in baseball game, as well as a partial rotator cuff tear. He had surgery end of may last year and is still looking to get the full strength back. He is playing ball again but you can tell in some of his throws the strength is not 100%

 

We did the surgery rather than rehab, for a couple reasons. First recommendation of doctor, trainer, etc. Secondly others who we talked to who went the therapy route ended up either hurting it again or never recovering fully. Not all of course, but enough that we said lets try and fix it 100%

 

With my son, the Doc treated him as a pitcher so the sutures/anchors were not as tight, which also leads to a longer recovery time.

 

I am trying to remember what type of tear they called his, but it was not a slap tear. I am sorry to say but from what I have heard slap tears are much harder to come back from via either therapy or surgery. One question - have you asked the trainers and coaches at the college? My guess is that they would have been thru this unfortunately with others

 

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter and would not wish the injury on anyone. Wishing you and her the best!

  • Author
My son tore his last year in baseball game, as well as a partial rotator cuff tear. He had surgery end of may last year and is still looking to get the full strength back. He is playing ball again but you can tell in some of his throws the strength is not 100%

 

We did the surgery rather than rehab, for a couple reasons. First recommendation of doctor, trainer, etc. Secondly others who we talked to who went the therapy route ended up either hurting it again or never recovering fully. Not all of course, but enough that we said lets try and fix it 100%

 

With my son, the Doc treated him as a pitcher so the sutures/anchors were not as tight, which also leads to a longer recovery time.

 

I am trying to remember what type of tear they called his, but it was not a slap tear. I am sorry to say but from what I have heard slap tears are much harder to come back from via either therapy or surgery. One question - have you asked the trainers and coaches at the college? My guess is that they would have been thru this unfortunately with others

 

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter and would not wish the injury on anyone. Wishing you and her the best!

 

Thankfully, the rest of her shoulder is in great shape. It has never dislocated, her biceps tendon and rotator cuff are not involved. It is truly isolated to her labrum.

 

Did your son have a Bankhsrt Tear?

 

We have talked to WSU re surgery and they were supportive as they have had a few vball players who have gone thru it. Since we got the rehab only option, I emailed them (yesterday) but no reply. My daughter talks to them every Sunday so we will ask them tomorrow. Dr K is the team Dr for WSU baseball team and said he has had some baseball players from there rehab only, all with success. I haven't found any volleyball players who even tried this option.

 

I am sorry for your son as well. These kids play hard, harder and longer than we did that's for sure. I hate they have to go through any of this. My other daughter tore her ACL playing softball in 9th region final a couple years ago. Had to sit out NDA trip to State. She was a junior as wel. Surgery and rehab and was back for every game of her senior year. Hard to watch her go through it.

My son is a baseball player and has suffered a torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder two years ago and another one in his left playing football this last fall. Dr. Greiwe was his surgeon for both. The first one was in his throwing shoulder so we were advised to do rehab over surgery. He has recovered fine but I do think he lost velocity because of the injury. It was about 8 months before he really was mentally ready to throw hard again. The last injury was in his left and we did get surgery. It healed pretty quick and after a few months he was swinging the bat without issue. In fact, he states his shoulder feels much stronger than before the injury.

To sum up, I would trust the doctor since they deal with these all the time.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.