Open Job: Holmes

Tony Perkins has resigned as head coach of the Holmes girls’ basketball program after leading the Bulldogs to back-to-back 9th Region championships and a 106-23 record over the last four seasons.

Perkins, 57, said he told the players he would not be returning as coach after the team’s season-ending loss in the semifinals of the state tournament on March 11. He plans to continue working in school administration with Covington Independent Public Schools.

“We had a lot of success so you know you’re going to miss people when you’ve been around them like that,” Perkins said of his coaching career at Holmes. “I just think it’s time for me to do something else.”

Perkins spent most of his 31-year coaching career at North Hardin High School. He came to Holmes as an assistant boys’ basketball coach and took over the girls’ program in the 2013-14 season. The Bulldogs lost in the 9th Region championship game in 2015 and won the regional title the last two years.

“I’ve been with teams that have a lot of talent, and you’re just blessed because it’s not as much about what I did as it is the players you have,” he said.

“And the thing I’m proud of at Holmes is our girls had a GPA (grade point average) that was 3.63 the last time we checked. That makes you proud because those girls have come so far, making good grades and being good citizens in the community.”

The only senior starter on this year’s 29-6 team was point guard Jaynice Stovall. She was named to the state all-tournament team and selected as the most valuable player in the regional tournament. With the other four starters back next year, Holmes should be one of the top contenders for the regional title once again.

“For us to win 29 games and make it to the state final four this year was amazing to me because we had some flaws as a team, but we played to our strengths and won a lot of games,” Perkins said.

Prep Sports Notebook: Perkins stepping down as coach of Holmes girls’ basketball team | NKyTribune

• 1 month later...