Reds Spring Training 2017

plantmanky

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think it's absolutely incorrect. I think there will be plenty of times they need a closer. Now it won't be as many times as the Cubs, Nationals or any of the other top teams, but to say they won't need a closer very often is an incorrect statement.

Reds probably blew what, half of them?

Almost. They had 28 saves in those 53 save opportunities. They were next to last in baseball in saves.

Almost. They had 28 saves in those 53 save opportunities. They were next to last in baseball in saves.

Yup, the Reds bullpen was atrocious last year, especially early in the season. When Iglesias came back, things improved fairly quickly. I think Lorenzen may have come back around the same time, too.

For the record, I'm not too keen on splitting time between Iglesias and Lorenzen as a closers, either. I'd rather see them award Storen the closer's role to provide some stability. If he has a good first half, he may have some trade value for a team that's looking to bolster its bullpen and add a quality set up man. Quite frankly, I think they're considered about Iglesias' shoulder & durability.