Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spencer County 62 Bethlehem 51 (OT)

Featured Replies

What a game!! I thought eighth region refs were bad. I couldn't be more proud of the Spencer County boys. They fought all night against the worst refs I have ever seen. At least 10 Spencer County fans were almost ejected due to the blatant homer reffing. It was the worst I have seen. Yet these boys (minus one starter who had to sit out due to concussion) fought and fought and pulled off the win against a very good Bethlehem team. That is the type of game that will prepare them for next week. Those kids can play some defense!

Bethlehem had a double-digit lead in the 3rdQ and then proceeded to fall apart.

I'm sure glad I chose to watch that game last night! I've not seen that bad of officiating this season. I'm sure there have been some bad nights, but it was worst I've seen in person. Officials had a phantom 4th foul on Spencer's post player that was on incorrect person. Ref made a mockery of coach asking them to talk about it by talking about it at the end of the quarter, then telling the coach they didn't see it. I sat by Bethlehem parent/fan who said its the worst they've seen. Felt bad for the clock worker that kept taking seconds off the clock as well. Bethlehem looked the part, good size and really ran their stuff. Loved their matchup zone. Anyone know who they get in districts. Spencer looked good as well.

  • Author

That Bethlehem team is a good team. Yeah, the refs called a foul on Conley, but incorrectly gave the wrong number at the table and gave Coke his fourth. Coke had to sit out for almost a quarter. Ref admitted he messed up, but it was several plays later and they just went on. Spencer had everything against them and down a starter, but gutted it out. Most impressive win of the season considering the circumstances.

I said this earlier this year about 5th region officiating and of course I got blasted. This is not isolated....5th region officiating is bad. On the same token we've visited some 8th and 3rd region gyms where is was just as bad.

 

With all due respect to Bethlehem and the kids there; but they are not a very good team. They have a good record because of the schedule they've played. Not really a debate in the 5th region about this. BUT anytime you win a game on the road with the officiating this year; good job

I said this earlier this year about 5th region officiating and of course I got blasted. This is not isolated....5th region officiating is bad. On the same token we've visited some 8th and 3rd region gyms where is was just as bad.

 

With all due respect to Bethlehem and the kids there; but they are not a very good team. They have a good record because of the schedule they've played. Not really a debate in the 5th region about this. BUT anytime you win a game on the road with the officiating this year; good job

 

I agree with Dog. If Bethlehem is a good team, then setting the bar to be considered good is pretty low. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but calling out Bethlehem as a good team comes across as inflating the Spencer win more than what it really was. If Spencer was gritty and got the OT win despite a dose of massive home cooking, that is accomplishment in and of itself. Adding more to it actually has a reverse effect for me because it seems like you have to pump up their accomplishments. They are doing great and the future looks bright, just sometimes the effort to boost some of the opponents (CAL & Bethlehem come to mind) has an opposite effect. Btw..CAL lost to Iroquois last night who is not even a top 10 team in the 6th region. They did beat Oldham, but losing to Iroquois shows they are a bit up & down to be considered a really good team.

I didn't think they were a great team, but I thought they were well coached and disciplined. They had 2 players that looked really good. Had no depth at all. Spencer had them gassed in the 2nd half. That was the first time I'd seen them play. Maybe they just played really well. Looking through their score, I believe they will play Nelson county in the district.

Bethlehem generally plays better at home. Solid win for the Bears lets not fool ourselves Coach Burns is getting them ready for next week. He knows what he is doing, they need to get healthy! Don't want to go into the district without a starter.

  • Author
I agree with Dog. If Bethlehem is a good team, then setting the bar to be considered good is pretty low. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but calling out Bethlehem as a good team comes across as inflating the Spencer win more than what it really was. If Spencer was gritty and got the OT win despite a dose of massive home cooking, that is accomplishment in and of itself. Adding more to it actually has a reverse effect for me because it seems like you have to pump up their accomplishments. They are doing great and the future looks bright, just sometimes the effort to boost some of the opponents (CAL & Bethlehem come to mind) has an opposite effect. Btw..CAL lost to Iroquois last night who is not even a top 10 team in the 6th region. They did beat Oldham, but losing to Iroquois shows they are a bit up & down to be considered a really good team.

 

I'm not pumping anybody up. The fact is we went on the road into a hostile environment (you forgot to mention one of our starters did not play due to concussion) with the refs completely against us and still won. No Bethlehem is not a great team, but they are a little above average from the teams I have seen this year and we've played everybody in the top of our region. The circumstances are the reason I was excited. When you see a very very young team go into that environment and succeed it makes you pumped. Sorry I'll try not to be so enthusiastic next time. Also, CAL beat Eastern and Oldham so what if they lost a game they shouldn't have. I think everybody has done that this year?? People that have seen CAL know how dangerous that team is so when I said they are very good I haven't changed my opinion one bit. I'll try to keep my Spencer County compliments to a minimum in the future. It seems to bother several of you. The last thing I will say is that this years team could very well lose the first district game against Anderson Wednesday night or they could win the district. Either way Spencer has to be one of the youngest teams in the state and they have overall played a pretty good schedule and will be getting their 20th win Friday night. I thought next year would be when they actually were a contender so anything this year is all gravy. Spencer County has never had much success and they finally have had a few things go their way. I honestly believe they have one of the best coaches in the state in Burns and I have spent the last several years watching coaches in Jefferson County and elsewhere. He's the real deal and he's finally got some high level talent so when you put those things together the wins are going to come. I don't want to be accused of pumping my team up anymore so I will end with that. I joined this board back in the summer and have enjoyed the back and forth. You all thought I was a fool when I brought up Spencer County. The next years their reputation will change and I said it first. Peace out!

Back & forth banter is all in good fun, I agree. But on the contrary, I am excited for Spencer County to turn it around and like to see young teams take their growing pains to prepare for the future. I feel it is a good strategy if your young kids can survive without losing confidence and Spencer seems to have done that with a Coach willing to take that risk. It take good coaching and some good older kids who embrace a shift to the younger kids taking a bigger role.

 

That is exciting and you should be pumped up. I like to see your enthusiasm and keep promoting them. My only comment is that by overhyping up an opponent actually makes me more suspect on how good they might really be. Strength of schedule is what it is, and you can't put lipstick on the pig to call it pretty all the time. At this time the CAL win over Eastern is not as strong. Not sure what is wrong at Eastern. Lost 5 out of the last 6 and 3 in a row, including a loss to Atherton. Lost to Ballard by over 30 recently and their last game by over 40 to Scott County.

Fort Knox beat Bethlehem....they are not a good team

Fort Knox beat Bethlehem....they are not a good team

 

Bethlehem can be a good team in some circumstances, but certain matchups can hurt them. That collapse last night was very uncharacteristic for an Artie Braden-coached team.

Bethlehem can be a good team in some circumstances, but certain matchups can hurt them. That collapse last night was very uncharacteristic for an Artie Braden-coached team.

 

I can agree with that...they match up well with certain teams

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.