Cleveland's Quarterback Carousel

Three games and three different starting Quarterbacks. Robert Griffin III started the first game. His left shoulder sustained an injury so...

Josh McCown started game 2. His left shoulder was injured so...

Rookie Cody Kessler was named the starter for game 3.

But wait... the Browns signed veteran Charlie Whitehurst on Monday night so will Kessler or Whitehurst start? We don't know right now, but this is certain, the Browns will start their 3rd different QB in as many games this Sunday.

Could we see Kessler Sunday, only to have Whitehurst ready to go by week 4?

What's the record for most consecutive weeks with different starting QBs in the NFL?

That is a distinct possibility.

Let me look back in the archives of Browns seasons and I can probably give you the answer to the question about the record for consecutive weeks with a different starting QB.

How many qbs have there been since Couch?

Let me answer it like this, according to one article I saw, RG III was the 25th starting QBs since the Browns came back to the league in 1999 including Couch. McCown's start last game would be #26 if you didn't lump him in with his starts from last season. If you do, we're still at #25. The next game will be QB #26 or 27 depending on how you figure it. Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I know it is really nice to have a starter caliber QB at backup, but at some point you have to think that you are holding a 53 man roster spot on a guy that hopefully isn't going to get to play. We need to trade him soon or we won't get anything for him because he obviously isn't going to sign with the Bengals again. At least get a first and a 4th rounder from the Browns since you are trading inside the division, or just a first rounder if outside the division and this gives the Bengals the flexibility to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on another QB and start the cycle all over again. The Patriots have been doing this for years. Brady's backups are scattered all over the league. I dislike the Patriots because of Bellicheck and Brady, but in the end you have to give it to them because they run their organization better than any other in football.