Highlands Coach Mountain

cshs81

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060820/COL12/608200450/1068/SPT

I was at a Highlands-Holmes basketball game this past season and a gentlemen kindly informed me that I was sitting in the spot he always sits. We then switched seats and spent some time talking. I asked him why every person walking by referred to him as "Coach" and he informed me that is a current coach on the football staff. Take note that he is 85 years old. He also told me he was the coach of the 1949 Bellevue state champs and then 50 years later was on the HHS staff when they won the championship. He was a joy to sit by and a fountain of info.

Hats off to Ernst for following up with Coach.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060820/COL12/608200450/1068/SPT

I was at a Highlands-Holmes basketball game this past season and a gentlemen kindly informed me that I was sitting in the spot he always sits. We then switched seats and spent some time talking. I asked him why every person walking by referred to him as "Coach" and he informed me that is a current coach on the football staff. Take note that he is 85 years old. He also told me he was the coach of the 1949 Bellevue state champs and then 50 years later was on the HHS staff when they won the championship. He was a joy to sit by and a fountain of info.

Hats off to Ernst for following up with Coach.

That article makes me want to go get a haircut....would love to pick that guy's brain. Not just about sports but his history in the military...wow..what a legend.

Thanks CSHS for starting the thread. Smoky is the best. What a great, great person he is and just one of those kind of people you want your sons to hand around and spend time with. He does have some great stories and has lived a pretty fascinating life.

He is a great guy. I don't know if he still does it but he use to pass Jolly Ranchers to the kids during practice.:thumb: He has had a very interesting life. It is well worth learning a little history while getting a haircut.

Are you kidding, he still hands them out to us during games. I think he has stock in them. Great, great guy. One of the many people at HHS that make that program/community what it is.