Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

This Week's Games

Featured Replies

  • Author

I know that when I played....our athletic director did not give the coach a choice. They were to have a freshman, jv, and varsity team...no questions asked. Find the players and field the teams.

 

Mind you...I do think that all 3 levels is a bit much. If a freshman is talented enough for varsity but the program needs number for freshman, let them play freshman and varsity. No need to play JV as well.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that when I played....our athletic director did not give the coach a choice. They were to have a freshman, jv, and varsity team...no questions asked. Find the players and field the teams.

 

Mind you...I do think that all 3 levels is a bit much. If a freshman is talented enough for varsity but the program needs number for freshman, let them play freshman and varsity. No need to play JV as well.

 

Intersting about the AD. I wonder why?

 

Bwood pulled up 5th, 7th and 8th graders in order to fill their 9th grade team. They have 4 true freshman on that squad the rest are 5th, 7th and 8th grade.... So in theory, they could pull down 2 studs that play up on JV and Varsity to play freshman games?? IMO,that isn't fair to the opponent.

 

Again, if you don't have the numbers, I really do not know why teams are fielded?

 

Someone help me understand the logic behind fielding more teams than you are capable of, and maybe I can understand it more???

Intersting about the AD. I wonder why?

 

Bwood pulled up 5th, 7th and 8th graders in order to fill their 9th grade team. They have 4 true freshman on that squad the rest are 5th, 7th and 8th grade.... So in theory, they could pull down 2 studs that play up on JV and Varsity to play freshman games?? IMO,that isn't fair to the opponent.

 

Again, if you don't have the numbers, I really do not know why teams are fielded?

 

Someone help me understand the logic behind fielding more teams than you are capable of, and maybe I can understand it more???

 

With the new changes to KHSAA guidleines, pulling players up from 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade may get even tougher. If your child plays for Beechwood High School (for example), as an 8th grader... it seems like such an honor. Which it is!!! However, if that child then decides to go to a different high school as a Freshman (Villa, Notre Dame, etc), they must sit out 1 season. Not sure of all the specifics (nor do I care to look them up). They may need to have played Varsity as an 8th grader. But it certainly takes a situation where an 8th grader should be honored to be asked to step up to the high school team, and turns it into a situation where you need an attorney to work through all the rules and regulations.:confused: :confused:

 

I'm glad my youngest child is in high school already and we have no intentions of transferring schools. :banana:

With the new changes to KHSAA guidleines, pulling players up from 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade may get even tougher. If your child plays for Beechwood High School (for example), as an 8th grader... it seems like such an honor. Which it is!!! However, if that child then decides to go to a different high school as a Freshman (Villa, Notre Dame, etc), they must sit out 1 season. Not sure of all the specifics (nor do I care to look them up). They may need to have played Varsity as an 8th grader. But it certainly takes a situation where an 8th grader should be honored to be asked to step up to the high school team, and turns it into a situation where you need an attorney to work through all the rules and regulations.:confused: :confused:

 

I'm glad my youngest child is in high school already and we have no intentions of transferring schools. :banana:

 

Leave 8th graders and younger at the middle school level and we won't need to get lawyers involved. Why are we constantly looking for ways around rules and regulations instead of following the rules..?

:rolleyes: Ohhhh...you again! Why all the sarcasm all the time?

 

If you do not have the numbers, then don't field a team for that particular age group! Easy enough, isn't it????

 

You should be able to play up for sure, but if you play up, you should not be able to play down too.

 

I know most teams do it for number purposes....but some do it for WINS.

 

No sarcasm whatsoever. I just know you are an avid letter writer and emailer. I'm starting to think maybe we need a separate commissioner for each sport in Ky and you would be my choice for Volleyball. You always have all the answers and when something comes up you need only to consult yourself.;):D JK..

No sarcasm whatsoever. I just know you are an avid letter writer and emailer. I'm starting to think maybe we need a separate commissioner for each sport in Ky and you would be my choice for Volleyball. You always have all the answers and when something comes up you need only to consult yourself.;):D JK..

:thumb: :D

Gotta love ya man!!!

  • Author
Intersting about the AD. I wonder why?

 

Bwood pulled up 5th, 7th and 8th graders in order to fill their 9th grade team. They have 4 true freshman on that squad the rest are 5th, 7th and 8th grade.... So in theory, they could pull down 2 studs that play up on JV and Varsity to play freshman games?? IMO,that isn't fair to the opponent.

 

Again, if you don't have the numbers, I really do not know why teams are fielded?

 

Someone help me understand the logic behind fielding more teams than you are capable of, and maybe I can understand it more???

 

 

I know a lot of public schools do that and I think its great for the younger players. I only see a couple problems arising...

 

If your high school coach also coaches club ball...they cannot coach anyone from your high school...so if you have girls from 6th-12th grade..that limits greatly what your high school coach can coach in the off season. Yes, they can go to other states to coach, etc but with so many girls travelling to play for other clubs, that's almost not safe anymore either.

 

And catholic/private high schools do not have the middle school to pull from...they have several feeder schools. While I think that it is still allowed...it just doesn't happen as often as public schools.

 

I know that Highlands only has 2 true freshman on their freshman team but pulling middle schoolers up has allowed them to keep all 3 teams seperate...at least noone has played up/down that I've seen this season.

Ursuline gave a beatdown to NDA. NDA won 1 of 4 matches.

Ursuline gave a beatdown to NDA. NDA won 1 of 4 matches.

 

Ursuline's new coach Jeni Case is very good. Ursuline will remain a top program in the state of Ohio. The Pandas play the toughest schedule in NKY which only makes them stronger!

  • Author

Got to see the Pandas play....quite an impressive team this year!

Ursuline gave a beatdown to NDA. NDA won 1 of 4 matches.

 

CSHS81, were you there to see the "beat down"? :confused: Because I wouldn't call it a "beat down". The pandas played very competitively against Ursuline. In fact they had the lead at some point in all four games. BTW, the 4 games that they played make up a match. I would say the Pandas had a "meltdown" in each game after getting the lead to let the Lions back in. The scores were 18-25, 25-19, 15-25, 20-25. I don't call that a "beatdown" against one of the top teams in the nation.

CSHS81, were you there to see the "beat down"? :confused: Because I wouldn't call it a "beat down". The pandas played very competitively against Ursuline. In fact they had the lead at some point in all four games. BTW, the 4 games that they played make up a match. I would say the Pandas had a "meltdown" in each game after getting the lead to let the Lions back in. The scores were 18-25, 25-19, 15-25, 20-25. I don't call that a "beatdown" against one of the top teams in the nation.

 

1. No, I was not there.

2. "Beat down" was used in the fact that lost 3-1.

3. I knew as soon as I typed "match" that it was going to be "games." I'm not down with the v-ball lingo.

 

I have no problem with the loss. I'm all for stepping up and playing the big boys (or girls).

A tough played game against a GCL power is better for NDA in the long run, then an easy win.

1. No, I was not there.

2. "Beat down" was used in the fact that lost 3-1.

3. I knew as soon as I typed "match" that it was going to be "games." I'm not down with the v-ball lingo.

 

I have no problem with the loss. I'm all for stepping up and playing the big boys (or girls).

 

I knew several things when I read your original post.... and used the terminology "beat down"

 

1. You have been watching the recent special on the Best Da-mn Sports Show Period... 50 greatest "beat downs". great show, I recommend it to anyone that enjoys boxing or a good scrappin'

 

2. I knew you were going to hit a nerve with one of the NDA faithful. 3-1 in a match may or may not have been a "beat down". From the looks of the scores, it was a pretty tight match as I had expected.

 

I know quite a few of the girls on NDA's team this year, and the impression is that they are on a mission to prove that they belong on the top of the 9th region. I don't mean top two, they will settle for nothing but the top 1. They are believed to be the favorite and have given nobody any reason to doubt them.

 

Additionally, NDA (and St. Henry) have traditionally scheduled the top schools from outside the region so that they can experience some of the best talent in the country. If you do that enough times, you are eventually going to experience a "beat down". (there is that expression again). I don't think NDA is going to get a beat down from anyone in the next couple years. They may dish a few out, though.

I know quite a few of the girls on NDA's team this year, and the impression is that they are on a mission to prove that they belong on the top of the 9th region. I don't mean top two, they will settle for nothing but the top 1. They are believed to be the favorite and have given nobody any reason to doubt them.

 

Additionally, NDA (and St. Henry) have traditionally scheduled the top schools from outside the region so that they can experience some of the best talent in the country. If you do that enough times, you are eventually going to experience a "beat down". (there is that expression again). I don't think NDA is going to get a beat down from anyone in the next couple years. They may dish a few out, though.

 

 

I hope the Pandas do deliver many beat downs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.