Conor McGregor out of UFC 200

Very odd indeed. I've read a couple various things, one being that he was in the corner for a teammate a week or two ago at an event where the opposing fighter eventually lost his life due to injuries suffered in the fight. Maybe that has something to do with it? Not only the realization that something traumatic can happen inside the octagon, but his training partner was the fighter who inflicted the damage that ended up taking life.

Another aspect I think about when I read this stuff is how intense Conor must have been focused on this fight. We all know Conor loves to talk and to promote himself and media and press obligations have never been a problem for him. Dana says Conor has been in Iceland training for the Diaz fight. I get the sense that Conor is so determined to come back and avenge this loss that he is focusing solely on training and not on the media stuff. Unfortunately, for a fight as big as UFC 200 this just isn't going to fly. I just get the sense of Conor training Rocky IV style and just training, training, training like a mad man and just hoping to show up for fight night and get down to business. Unfortunately with all the media obligations he should have knew there were going to be far more distractions than that.

Also I have to wonder if McGregors camp finally talked him out of this fight? Nobody in his camp wanted him to take the fight, Dana White, Joe Silva, the Ferttitas, nobody in UFC wanted the rematch to happen. For me Conor has a lot more to lose in this fight than he does to win. Sure he could avenge the loss with a win, but another loss to Nate Diaz cripples the superstar momentum he has built for himself. So maybe his team has finally got him to realize it may be better to just eat this loss and move on.

Whatever's going on, this is odd and the timing is weird. Do I think we've seen the last of Conor McGregor in the UFC? No. But with all this weird stuff happening with him who knows whats next for him. Would be crazy to see a guy blow up this fast and then disappear just as fast.

Maybe Conor McGregor realizes he isn't the Conor McGregor he had been hyping. He got whooped mentally and physically by a guy who took the fight on 10 days notice. He realizes that if that same guy has a whole training camp in which to sharpen his skills, McGregor is in for an even nastier whoopin'.

It would not be good for McGregor to lose two in a row. It would kinda stifle his braggadocio.