Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

You're the Coach: What Do You Do Now?

Featured Replies

LL has a rule that says all kids must bat and (I think) play the field in a game.

 

You're in the LL tournament trying to qualify for Williamsport. Its the top of the last inning and you're winning by one run. Suddenly, you realize that one of your kids has not batted yet and should you hold the lead, they will not get into bat. League rules say this would result in a forfeit.

 

What do you do?

Not what those clowns did. Finish the game and apologize to your kids for letting them down. Throwing the ball all over the field so you can get the kid an at bat is a joke. Better yet, since you only have 11 players, put the kid in to hit like you're supposed...MORON!!!

  • Author
Not what those clowns did. Finish the game and apologize to your kids for letting them down. Throwing the ball all over the field so you can get the kid an at bat is a joke. Better yet, since you only have 11 players, put the kid in to hit like you're supposed...MORON!!!

 

OK - I'm sure the coach agrees with you that he's a moron. Is the other coach any less culpable since he had his kids intentionally striking out in order to sustain the forfeit?

LL has a rule that says all kids must bat and (I think) play the field in a game.

 

You're in the LL tournament trying to qualify for Williamsport. Its the top of the last inning and you're winning by one run. Suddenly, you realize that one of your kids has not batted yet and should you hold the lead, they will not get into bat. League rules say this would result in a forfeit.

 

What do you do?

Bat him out of order and hope the opposing team doesn't catch him, than have the next pitch thrown.

 

The opposing team must catch this and not the official scorer, at the State level. Let the kid bat or another option, is to bring him into a count that is less than 2-0 and tell him to K, or put it in play, than bring in the next player.

 

I've seen this situation, several times in different Divisions and both times, it cost the winning team the game, resulting in a forfeit and they didn't advance out of a Pool. They didn't try my strategy.

OK - I'm sure the coach agrees with you that he's a moron. Is the other coach any less culpable since he had his kids intentionally striking out in order to sustain the forfeit?

 

That ticked me off too. Both teams should've been DQ'd for their actions. If I'm that coach, I have to allow the other team to walk in the tying run with 0 outs and let him chance one of my next three batters getting a hit. No way I tell my kids to swing and miss on purpose just pull a forfeit card. In one game both coaches epitomized everything that is now wrong with youth sports.

I say started the kids that are your bench players, bat them 1 and 2 or so on, then after the 1st inning, put in your studs. Problem solved and your better players are in the game at the end.

LL clearly states, ALL players are "recommended" to fulfill their playing time before the 4th inning is over....

 

If this game was shortened, due to a mercy than the player DOES NOT have to fulfill his requirements, of 1 at-bat and 3 defensive outs.

I say started the kids that are your bench players, bat them 1 and 2 or so on, then after the 1st inning, put in your studs. Problem solved and your better players are in the game at the end.
I've seen this done also and they players will certainly get in the game.

 

I know coaches, who will take "visitors" if they win the coin flip, just to bat at least 4 times.

 

Here's another question:

 

Little League regular season play, you are visiting team and get mercied 10-0 in 4 innings. You have a 12 player roster....How can you get ALL 12 players, 1 at-bat and 6 defensive outs....:sssh:

I coached a team in state a few years ago. We were in the AABC league and I believe the rules about players getting in are almost the same. It was a close game and we were down by one run. And dumb me forgot to put a player in. After the last out, we lost, I looked over to the bench and there sat the player I forgot about. I apoligized to that player and parents for my insolence. The kid did help us out in three of the previous games. Parents understood and so did the player. Thankfully, I had great parents that year or I would have been raked over the coals.

OK - I'm sure the coach agrees with you that he's a moron. Is the other coach any less culpable since he had his kids intentionally striking out in order to sustain the forfeit?

 

One thing I thought was real funny is that the coach was talking about different ways to allow the other team to score a run. He was becoming pretty creative with things like, throwing the ball in the dugout and it would've gone out of play so the run would've had to score. I also thought it was funny that he blamed it on being shorthanded with only two coaches instead of three. Give me a break.

LL has a rule that says all kids must bat and (I think) play the field in a game.

 

You're in the LL tournament trying to qualify for Williamsport. Its the top of the last inning and you're winning by one run. Suddenly, you realize that one of your kids has not batted yet and should you hold the lead, they will not get into bat. League rules say this would result in a forfeit.

 

What do you do?

The other team must protest before the umpires leave the field, this happened to wayne co. against Belfry this yr in the 11-12 old state tournement.Belfry lost . But protested the game won by forfeit 6-0.

I would put my worst pitcher in, (maybe even the batboy) until we walked in the go ahead run and then try to win it.

He should of thought of that in the third.

I understand the playing rules but at that level I think the mandatory playing rules should not be used. All of the kids can play and it limits a coaching staff and a team to use their best players in situations that dictate different skills. Ex. Needing a key bunt or someone to throw the last inning or a pitch hitter in a clutch situation. I believe that some of the mandatory playing rules have a place in local levels but when you get to ALL STAR competition then it should be looked at differently because you are playing to win! Some of Little Leagues crazy little rules and quirks are some of the reasons they are struggling as an organization and over time I believe some of the other leagues will surpass LL in numbers and popularity.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.