6th Region Tournament Preview

All 1st round games played Tuesday

Bullitt East (25-5) at North Bullitt (23-6), 7 p.m- Their only previous game this season was held 3 weeks ago which Bullitt East won at home 80-71. This game is held at North with their 23rd district victory and the upset loss suffered by Bullitt East. How Bullitt East responds to that loss will dictate what happens in this game. North Bullitt will not resemble Fern Creek in any way who gave Bullitt East trouble with their defense and rebounding. North Bullitt will need to out rebound the taller BE team if they have a chance. Unless there is a hot shooting streak by either team this could be a close game, but even on the road the pick in this one is Bullitt East by 9 again.

DeSales (9-20) at Pleasure Ridge Park (16-9), 7 p.m- This is the 1st round game that really will not be a good match-up. Give DeSales credit, they upset Butler and deserve to be in the region championship. However, PRP is really playing well and derserve serious consideration as a favorit to now move on to Rupp. Nobody is playing any better the past several weeks. They have a coach who has history of winning three game in the 6th region tournament. PRP wins this one by 25+.

Moore (10-17) at Fern Creek (18-12), 7 p.m- Only 2 weeks ago Moore beat Fern Creek 61-47 on Senior Night for the Moore Mustangs. However, the game now moves to Fern Creek and common wisdom would suggest that the game held two weeks ago will not predict how this one will go. After all, Moore has only won 10 games and had not beat Fern Creek in a long time. Last season these two teams played in a first round regional championship game held at Moore and Fern Creek won by over 30. It will be much closer this time, but the prediction here is a 10 point Fern Creek win.

Valley (21-11) at Doss (24-5), 7 p.m.- In their earlier game held almost 2 months ago Doss beat Valley 76-59 in a game held at Doss. In this one it could be closer, but the outcome will not be much different. Expect Doss to continue on their hot streak with a double digit victory very likely.

Favorite(s)

Bullitt East- Before the Fern Creek upset BE would have been the heavy favorite. Now the heavy falls off, but they still deserve a nod as a co-favorite.

Doss- Doss has emerged as the hottest team in the region. They are clearly a co-favorite and right now there are many who feel the Dragons are heading to Rupp again,

Contenders

PRP- Even if PRP had not went on a hot streak they had a chance with Dale Mabrey and staff leading them. Add to that that the last few weeks have shown this is a team that is rising makes them serious contenders.

Fern Creek- On any given night Fern Creek could beat any team in the region and that is the good news. The bad news is they could lose to Moore and did lose to Moore only one week ago.

The rest really are not likely to put three games in a row together, but Valley and North Bullitt could be considered the dark horse teams that perhaps could make a run.

I agree BE still the favorite but I think all 3 of the other contenders give BE problems and could make life difficult. Doss is playing very well and could easily move on. Fern Creek is still a game to game guess, when they play like they are capable, I could see them coming out on top, my only reservation is their ability to string together 3 consistent games. PRP is really my choice of the "upset" winner to move on. Coaching is always a plus for them, but I think that each game and practice that Hill gets back in the flow, after sitting waiting on his appeal, makes PRP that much more dangerous. He only had 8 pts last time out, but was fighting some cramping issues. I think he will be a bigger part of PRP going forward and could be the addition that brings them to Rupp. Time will tell but it sets up to be a great region tournament.

I'm picking a Doss/PRP final with PRP winning the region. Mabrey is the best at game planning for a big game. He will come up with something that Doss hasn't seen and pull it out. Wouldn't be surprised to see North knock off East at home in the first round. Desales always plays good against PRP and will keep it close. Would like to see a PRP/East match up. Just not sure they will get past North.

2 questions:

1. How long is Anthony Wales out for Fern Creek?

2. What's the deal with Tony Williams? Last year he gets assaulted by a parent then loses 4 or 5 kids to transfer after the year and brings in 5 or 6 other kids to replace them. Obviously he's been winning but is he just someone who rubs people the wrong way? I've never met him and only seen him coach once.

Tony ain't for everybody. His all hands on deck old school demeanor doesn't synch with all kids... But those who buy in get plenty of respect from Tony. Last years incident was more about crazy parent than crazy coach.

2 questions:

1. How long is Anthony Wales out for Fern Creek?

2. What's the deal with Tony Williams? Last year he gets assaulted by a parent then loses 4 or 5 kids to transfer after the year and brings in 5 or 6 other kids to replace them. Obviously he's been winning but is he just someone who rubs people the wrong way? I've never met him and only seen him coach once.

1) For sure out through Regional, not sure if they made it to state

2) As Griff said, a bit polarizing. You will find those firmly in his camp and find some that would not. He probably came out on the top end of the transfer shuffle. One thing for sure, last season was as bizarre as a coach could have, the off season was equally odd, and then this season seemed to be rather normal. He got the job done even if the methods were a bit unusual.

I'm picking a Doss/PRP final with PRP winning the region. Mabrey is the best at game planning for a big game. He will come up with something that Doss hasn't seen and pull it out. Wouldn't be surprised to see North knock off East at home in the first round. Desales always plays good against PRP and will keep it close. Would like to see a PRP/East match up. Just not sure they will get past North.

Boy was PRP losing a surprise. I figured if DeSales played them 20 times they might win one time. I guess this was their one time. Many did not see this one happening.

Boy was PRP losing a surprise. I figured if DeSales played them 20 times they might win one time. I guess this was their one time. Many did not see this one happening.

I agree. I think anybody who followed this region didn't give Desales a chance against PRP or any of the other teams. A surprise to even be here, but then again, that is why we play the games.

BE played angry yesterday and I think wanted to make a statement which they did. They have everything needed to dance, they just need to keep the focus. After last night, I think they will make quick work of Desales and move forward. The Doss/FC game will be a dogfight and should be fun to watch. Again hard to pick because of the inconsistency of FC, but when they play I like their game a lot. Wales being out hurts, but the Kobe Stanton (another Sophomore) has been playing very well stepping in for Wales. I'll sit back and enjoy this one and hope that the winner of this one goes dancing.