Covington Holy Cross 67 Buckhorn 62 (Traditional Bank Classic)

There were some fireworks late in this one.

Buckhorn had the ball with under a minute left down 63-62. After a Buckhorn missed there was a questionable loose ball foul on Shannon Blank. Blank was very upset, slammed the ball down and caught it. He then slammed the ball down a second time and it went well above his head. The second slam earned him a T. The ref that T'd him up watched the first slam but didn't give him a T then really had no choice the second time he slammed the ball down. Coach John Noble got all over Blank, and rightfully so.

Noble had been very upset with the officials the last few minutes before the T was called and he wasn't upset at that. But after the game was over Noble had some words for one of the officials as they were running off the floor. The two got up in each others face and Noble was T'd up and thrown out. Yes, thrown out after the game ended, not sure how that works but it happened. Noble was livid. Buckhorn's assistants had to hold him back from going after the official. Then Brad Carter, Lexington Catholic's AD, had to calm down Noble. It was a wild couple minutes to watch. It was also out of character from what I've seen from Coach Noble. I've never seen him as someone who tried to "show up" or disrespect the officials.

But after the game was over Noble had some words for one of the officials as they were running off the floor. The two got up in each others face and Noble was T'd up and thrown out. Yes, thrown out after the game ended, not sure how that works but it happened. Noble was livid. Buckhorn's assistants had to hold him back from going after the official. Then Brad Carter, Lexington Catholic's AD, had to calm down Noble. It was a wild couple minutes to watch. It was also out of character from what I've seen from Coach Noble. I've never seen him as someone who tried to "show up" or disrespect the officials.

Were the officials more on the aggressive side, or called too much, or was inconsistent?

There were some fireworks late in this one.

Buckhorn had the ball with under a minute left down 63-62. After a Buckhorn missed there was a questionable loose ball foul on Shannon Blank. Blank was very upset, slammed the ball down and caught it. He then slammed the ball down a second time and it went well above his head. The second slam earned him a T. The ref that T'd him up watched the first slam but didn't give him a T then really had no choice the second time he slammed the ball down. Coach John Noble got all over Blank, and rightfully so.

Noble had been very upset with the officials the last few minutes before the T was called and he wasn't upset at that. But after the game was over Noble had some words for one of the officials as they were running off the floor. The two got up in each others face and Noble was T'd up and thrown out. Yes, thrown out after the game ended, not sure how that works but it happened. Noble was livid. Buckhorn's assistants had to hold him back from going after the official. Then Brad Carter, Lexington Catholic's AD, had to calm down Noble. It was a wild couple minutes to watch. It was also out of character from what I've seen from Coach Noble. I've never seen him as someone who tried to "show up" or disrespect the officials.

Did the officials immediately attempt to leave the floor when the clock hit 0:00? Did they have to run by Coach Noble?

I hope he chased them down. It would be a mistake by the officials to NOT leave the floor immediately. You do not want to have any more conversations with a coach.

However, by rule a coach can earn a T after the game has ended. Officials jurisdiction does not end until they leave the court.

The coach will have to sit for a few games.

Unfortunate.

I thought it was the coach that got the technical foul after refusing to quit yelling at the official. I can understand his frustration on the calls, but it was called that way for both sides. Lot of fouls, some legit some questionable as there was very little bodily contact. But it was called for both sides so nobody got the advantage from the officials. Close game all the way.

Did the officials immediately attempt to leave the floor when the clock hit 0:00? Did they have to run by Coach Noble?

The officials did immediately try to leave the floor. The gym is an older, very small gym. The door the officials leave out of is only a few feet away from the end of Buckhorn's bench. So the path they took directly to the door led them right in front of the bench, that's when the two started at it. Then after the official T'd up Coach Noble and threw him out the official went to the scorer's table to signal it. That's when Coach Noble was restrained by his assistants. Then the official had to go back by the Buckhorn bench to go from the scorer's table to the door to exit the gym. It was around then that LexCath's AD calmed down Coach Noble.