Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Interesting Fact About Lew Alcindor

Featured Replies

... one of many, to be sure.

 

But I just ran across this one in the Dayton Daily News:

 

In the 1967 National Championship Game at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Dayton's Dan Obravac won the opening tip over UCLA's Lew Alcindor.

 

It is believed to be the ONLY time in Alcindor's collegiate career that he failed to win the opening tip.

 

That's just unreal to me. Other than this, he never once mistimed the jump or failed to get a good swipe. He just didn't miss it.

My dad was a young state trooper who was assigned to the bench area for the 1969 Final Four in Louisville. Lew Alcindor was the MVP.

The NCAA tournament was anti-climactic in those days. UCLA won them all it seemed.

I think that was the year Dayton had Don May - a very good but undersized post player at about 6' 4". I also remember Henry Finkle (sp) for the Flyers from that era. I think he was just a bit later though.

Boy I really liked Don May back in the day!

  • Author
The NCAA tournament was anti-climactic in those days. UCLA won them all it seemed.

I think that was the year Dayton had Don May - a very good but undersized post player at about 6' 4". I also remember Henry Finkle (sp) for the Flyers from that era. I think he was just a bit later though.

 

Just a little earlier; one year earlier. Finkel was an All-American as a senior in 1966. Led the Flyers to the NCAA's sweet sixteen in both 1965 and 1966.

Dayton had a nice run in the mid to late 60's under Donaher.

... one of many, to be sure.

 

But I just ran across this one in the Dayton Daily News:

 

In the 1967 National Championship Game at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Dayton's Dan Obravac won the opening tip over UCLA's Lew Alcindor.

 

It is believed to be the ONLY time in Alcindor's collegiate career that he failed to win the opening tip.

 

That's just unreal to me. Other than this, he never once mistimed the jump or failed to get a good swipe. He just didn't miss it.

 

That is incredible. I cannot imagine any other player can say they've done this.

The NCAA tournament was anti-climactic in those days. SAM GILBERT won them all it seemed.

I think that was the year Dayton had Don May - a very good but undersized post player at about 6' 4". I also remember Henry Finkle (sp) for the Flyers from that era. I think he was just a bit later though.

 

Fixed your post for ya.....;)

Fixed your post for ya.....;)

 

You have to be of a certain age to know who Sam is and what he did.

You have to be of a certain age to know who Sam is and what he did.

 

Agree with you completely. Google can be your friend in some situations.

The NCAA tournament was anti-climactic in those days. UCLA won them all it seemed.

I think that was the year Dayton had Don May - a very good but undersized post player at about 6' 4". I also remember Henry Finkle (sp) for the Flyers from that era. I think he was just a bit later though.

 

At Dave Cowens Basketball Camp at Boone County in 1973 I got to run a pick and roll drill with Finkle and Dave Cowens.

Fixed your post for ya.....;)

I gotcha.

Speaking of Dayton, did the Gottshaw (phonetic spelling) play for the Flyers? When I was but a tyke, I think I saw them play Trinity in Louisville and I think their school was Dayton Chaminade. This was not too long after the Van Arsdale twins (Tom and Dick) played at IU....but they hailed from Indiana. Twins seemed to be quite in vogue in those days.

  • Author
Speaking of Dayton, did the Gottshaw (phonetic spelling) play for the Flyers? When I was but a tyke, I think I saw them play Trinity in Louisville and I think their school was Dayton Chaminade. This was not too long after the Van Arsdale twins (Tom and Dick) played at IU....but they hailed from Indiana. Twins seemed to be quite in vogue in those days.

 

Gottschall. Yeah, both went to Chaminade then to UD. Late 1960s.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.