Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Derek Willis Making Most of Opportunity!

Featured Replies

When Derek Willis announced that he would attend the University Of Kentucky some people thought he would never see the floor for meaningful minutes. After two games Willis is averaging 12.5 points per game while shooting 66% from the floor. He is also playing very well defensively. Surprised? Will he continue his outstanding play?

His minutes vs Albany and NJIT mean zero when the games get real. I'm happy for the in-state kid, no doubt, but in "real" games, that rotation will get much smaller.

His minutes vs Albany and NJIT mean zero when the games get real. I'm happy for the in-state kid, no doubt, but in "real" games, that rotation will get much smaller.

 

I'm curious to see what Tuesday's rotation is going look like.

Unless lots of foul trouble Willis will probably get 5 to 7 minutes, just a guess.

  • Author

Don't think Cal would invest as many minutes played on Willis early on if he wasn't a serious option, and ultimately how many minutes he gets will depend on His play, 55% from three point range will get you minutes in any program! Really good at entry pass into the post, and shoots it so well that it may keep teams honest on doubling Skal. Duke will bring a different level of competition and we should know more of what Cal is thinking!

Sherriff, look at box scores around the country. The top 20 teams are playing 9-11 guys across the board, but watch the boxes again in March, 7-8 deep without exception. This isn't unique.

  • Author

I couldn't agree more that Cal will play 7 or 8 players which would be a normal rotation in March, but based on this seasons performances why would Willis not be in that 7-8! Cal has told his players to "make me play you, if you play well enough it's not up to me" and to this point that's exactly what Willis is doing.

Willis is probably 9th on the depth chart.

 

He needs to make sure he gets the minutes that are there between him, Hawkins, and Mulder.

 

I think he'll consistently see some time, just not a lot. Maybe 6-8 mins a game. He needs to always be ready to make the most of those minutes. I can see Cal getting frustrated with this team from time to time and look to Willis for an answer.

 

Also to Willis advantage, if Cal wanted to go with a taller/athletic lineup for a stretch:

 

Briscoe

Murray

Willis

Skal

Lee

Skal

Murray

Poythress

Lee

Briscoe

Ulis

Matthews

Willis/Humphries

 

That'll be the 8....If Willis is there instead of Humphries, he'll be #8. I think the 5-7 mpg prediction above is pretty accurate.

I think it'll depend on who the opponet is and how the matchups look. Some games Willis may be 8th but against teams with a big post player it'll be Humphries.

  • Author

Willis' versatility will allow Cal to use him in a number of ways, and based on this seasons play if Charles Mathews is ahead of Willis I been watching a different game!

I think I saw he played 7 minutes vs Duke.

I think I saw he played 7 minutes vs Duke.

 

And during all of those minutes, Duke targeted him on their drives and he needed to be pulled. Duke was a bit much for him now but in conference he probably will hold his own.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.