Derek Willis Making Most of Opportunity!

THE SHERIFF

When Derek Willis announced that he would attend the University Of Kentucky some people thought he would never see the floor for meaningful minutes. After two games Willis is averaging 12.5 points per game while shooting 66% from the floor. He is also playing very well defensively. Surprised? Will he continue his outstanding play?

Don't think Cal would invest as many minutes played on Willis early on if he wasn't a serious option, and ultimately how many minutes he gets will depend on His play, 55% from three point range will get you minutes in any program! Really good at entry pass into the post, and shoots it so well that it may keep teams honest on doubling Skal. Duke will bring a different level of competition and we should know more of what Cal is thinking!

I couldn't agree more that Cal will play 7 or 8 players which would be a normal rotation in March, but based on this seasons performances why would Willis not be in that 7-8! Cal has told his players to "make me play you, if you play well enough it's not up to me" and to this point that's exactly what Willis is doing.

Willis is probably 9th on the depth chart.

He needs to make sure he gets the minutes that are there between him, Hawkins, and Mulder.

I think he'll consistently see some time, just not a lot. Maybe 6-8 mins a game. He needs to always be ready to make the most of those minutes. I can see Cal getting frustrated with this team from time to time and look to Willis for an answer.

Also to Willis advantage, if Cal wanted to go with a taller/athletic lineup for a stretch:

Briscoe

Murray

Willis

Skal

Lee

I think I saw he played 7 minutes vs Duke.

And during all of those minutes, Duke targeted him on their drives and he needed to be pulled. Duke was a bit much for him now but in conference he probably will hold his own.