Yelp Sues South Park Over Latest Episode - DEBUNKED

ColonelCrazy

I had to check to make this article wasn't from The Onion:

http://nbc.com.co/yelp-sues-south-park-for-10-million-over-episode/

The episode at the center of the lawsuit, titled, You’re Not Yelping, parodies Yelp reviewers, going as far as comparing them to ISIS, while also continuing the season-to-date theme which mocks political correctness.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the popular animated series, were quick to issue a statement of their own.

“We’ve taken a hard look at the information presented to us, and after reviewing it, we have given Yelp and their lawsuit only one star. Their lawyers delivered us legal documents in a very unprofessional manner; not bothering to smile or even a quick handshake. The writing on the envelope was barely legible and in two different colors. It is our personal opinion that Yelp could do a much better job by not suing us for ten million dollars.”

I had to check to make this article wasn't from The Onion:

http://nbc.com.co/yelp-sues-south-park-for-10-million-over-episode/

The episode at the center of the lawsuit, titled, You’re Not Yelping, parodies Yelp reviewers, going as far as comparing them to ISIS, while also continuing the season-to-date theme which mocks political correctness.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the popular animated series, were quick to issue a statement of their own.

“We’ve taken a hard look at the information presented to us, and after reviewing it, we have given Yelp and their lawsuit only one star. Their lawyers delivered us legal documents in a very unprofessional manner; not bothering to smile or even a quick handshake. The writing on the envelope was barely legible and in two different colors. It is our personal opinion that Yelp could do a much better job by not suing us for ten million dollars.”

South Park is so awesome. :lol2:

They've already gotten a lot of people on this one today...

nbc.com.co is a fake news site.

It is not nbc.com.

When you checked on this... probably didn't go far enough. It happens.

No lawsuit. No witty response from Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

On a serious note, if this lawsuit gets any traction beyond being summarily dismissed it would be damning for free speech. Parody and satire have been widely protected.

Edit: Just saw Getslow's post. We've all been duped. I've been cackling over here reading it though.

Edit 2: I guess if I read the whole article I would have figured it out. Not sure "Fappy The Anti-Masturbation Dolphin" is a legitimate spokesperson.

On a serious note, if this lawsuit gets any traction beyond being summarily dismissed it would be damning for free speech. Parody and satire have been widely protected.

Edit: Just saw Getslow's post. We've all been duped. I've been cackling over here reading it though.

Edit 2: I guess if I read the whole article I would have figured it out. Not sure "Fappy The Anti-Masturbation Dolphin" is a legitimate spokesperson.

A brief deviation from the thread topic.

When I was a teenager, I would come down with the occasional UTI. Doctor gave me those horse pills that turned my urine some bizarre color.

On one of those visits to the GP, he asked me if I ever played with myself. Best I can remember, my response was something like, "Hell, I'm 15. What do you think"?

They've already gotten a lot of people on this one today...

nbc.com.co is a fake news site.

It is not nbc.com.

When you checked on this... probably didn't go far enough. It happens.

No lawsuit. No witty response from Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

Good point -- I didn't catch that, although the part about the Fappy the Anti-Masturbation Dolphin seemed out of place and a bit unusual.

Wait, you mean Fappy ain't real? Crap. Don't tell my son.