Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 3 Holy Cross (Covington) 0

Featured Replies

Goals for HHS by Baron, Mills and Gesenhuse. HHS first half was pretty unforgettable and HC played well as a team to keep themselves in the game. HHS raised its level of play in the second half and was fairly dominant despite playing most of the second half man-down (CR gave a straight red for "striking" on what looked like minimal, if any, contact in the jockeying prior to a corner -- worst overall job at CR I've seen in a long time).

I just happened to catch this game with my cousin who was in from out of town He's a Highlands grad. The first half seemed to be evenly played. HC missed what should have been an easy goal early (shot over the crossbar) and HHS had several shots in the first of which only one was a difficult save for the HC keeper. Tied 0-0 at half. No cards that I can remember.

 

Second half HC looked tired and didn't appear to sub much. HHS appeared to have the fresher legs with more frequent substitutions. HHS probably had 80% of the possession in the second half, mostly in the HC defensive half of the field. I wouldn't say that this was all that rough of a game but after the CR handed out the straight red (I heard it was for a low blow), he started handing out yellows for common fouls. I think HHS received 2 yellows before HC received 2 yellows in the second half. You could see the kids that received them looking confused. One of the HC players had the ball and was pressured by 2 HHS players. He split the two and then appeared to get tripped. When he got up the CR issued him a yellow. For diving? It wasn't in the box, closer to midfield so who knows.

 

All I can say is that HHS deserved the win with their play and energy level in the second half. BTW all 3 HHS goals came from the right side of the defense. 2 of them while a man down. Bad marking and lack of hustle by the outside mid attributed to the goals.

 

As for the CR (tall thin guy, with dark hair - in his early/mid 50's), I don't know what his name was but he definitely had no place on the center of the field for a varsity game. Maybe he had seniority or something because this was a 3 game night (frosh, JV & V).

 

I hope the HC player that went out in the second half with an apparent concussion is okay. He caught a cleat to the head after a clean slide tackle on the ball.

Only the third goal was with a man down and after coach G pulled 3 of his starting defenders. However HHS clearly deserved the win.

Goals for HHS by Baron, Mills and Gesenhuse. HHS first half was pretty unforgettable and HC played well as a team to keep themselves in the game. HHS raised its level of play in the second half and was fairly dominant despite playing most of the second half man-down (CR gave a straight red for "striking" on what looked like minimal, if any, contact in the jockeying prior to a corner -- worst overall job at CR I've seen in a long time).

 

HHS had a ton of shots in the 1st half, hopefully they start getting on frame soon. Sounds like they did in the 2nd half.

Goals for HHS by Baron, Mills and Gesenhuse. HHS first half was pretty unforgettable and HC played well as a team to keep themselves in the game. HHS raised its level of play in the second half and was fairly dominant despite playing most of the second half man-down (CR gave a straight red for "striking" on what looked like minimal, if any, contact in the jockeying prior to a corner -- worst overall job at CR I've seen in a long time).

 

I wouldn't say HHS raised their level of play, I would say HC lowered theirs. They were gassed in the 2nd half and HHS was able to push through that. As for the RED Card, it was deserved. Dirty play on HHS player but you are correct- worst CR I've seen as well. Congratulations to the Blue Birds, game well played.

You describe the Red Card as "dirty", may it warrant more than the standard 2 games?

BTW all 3 HHS goals came from the right side of the defense. 2 of them while a man down. Bad marking and lack of hustle by the outside mid attributed to the goals.

 

Surely you're not being small minded here? You should be careful when placing the blame on one player. You're well aware that there are 11 kids on the field- I just ask that you check yourself before pointing the finger. BTW, on a side note- I agree, HHS deserved the win- congrats to them.

Edited by Fanofsports

Go Indians !

Surely you're not being small minded here? You should be careful when placing the blame on one player. You're well aware that there are 11 kids on the field- I just ask that you check yourself before pointing the finger. BTW, on a side note- I agree, HHS deserved the win- congrats to them.

 

My apologies if I offended (parent/player) anyone but I just call it like I see it. I didn't not point out the player's number or look up his name on the teams roster on KHSAA. Maybe the coach is to blame for the tired players (I guess he doesn't have the same mentality as NCC's head coach on conditioning):lol2:. As I mentioned earlier, HC did not appear to sub much. Why as a coach do you have 20 kids on the bench for a varsity game if your not going to sub them in. Even if it's only for 5 - 10 minutes at a time, you would be able to give your starters a much needed break.

 

Yes, there are 11 players per team on the field for a game but all it takes is for one of them to miss an assignment and then everyone else has to switch up to cover. That obviously didn't work out very well for HC.

Why as a coach do you have 20 kids on the bench for a varsity game if your not going to sub them in. Even if it's only for 5 - 10 minutes at a time, you would be able to give your starters a much needed break.

 

Spoken like someone who has a kid who is in the bottom 1/3 of their teams roster. There is no soccer team that I am aware of that has the depth to go very deep on their bench. Even Cov. Cath only played 12 against Trinity.

Agreed depth is a problem for most teams but a coach needs to find some minutes to get his mids a breather. The alternative is great conditioning.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.