2015 LaRosa's Holiday Classic at Conner High School 12/28 thru 12/30

W

Okay, so what is up with Coffey and Barth? See Clukey is now back, so they add 1 and subtract 2? Will this team ever have all of their roster this year?

Barth broken finger/hand. Coffey injured knee. MRI is negative but still very sore. Sitting out all week. I think both may return next week. But you're right, injuries in the early season have been challenging. The good thing is a lot of kids are getting opportunities to step up and they are all playing well. Should make them a deep team when it matters.

Yes. HHS playing without Coffey and Barth. Team played well today to hold off a very scrappy ND team.

HHS has a nice team. Very nice system and is well coached. 5 players moving, cutting, looking to score. Not overly quick but have a couple areas they can find a advantage on you. I can see where they need their PG back. I thought they were suspect under pressure. Looked better than the other 2 games I have watched them play. When healthy they are legit. NDA should have pressured them more. NDA is like watching paint dry on offense. Bring the ball up, wait for the play to be called. Pass it left or right and wait and hope #12 gets open. PG attacks the lane very well and does it 3-4 times a game to score and other times are because 12 isn't open and has to do something with the ball. I heard HHS coach even yell many times to the effect, only worry about Martin. As we watched 2 NDA players knock down 3 after 3 before game and at half. We counted 5 for 7 from #34 and 6-7 from #11 but they shoot as a reaction during the game. You can see it, like oh I am open I better shoot and they hardly ever shoot. I also heard these two teams play in 2 weeks again. A must see.

HHS has a nice team. Very nice system and is well coached. 5 players moving, cutting, looking to score. Not overly quick but have a couple areas they can find a advantage on you. I can see where they need their PG back. I thought they were suspect under pressure. Looked better than the other 2 games I have watched them play. When healthy they are legit. NDA should have pressured them more. NDA is like watching paint dry on offense. Bring the ball up, wait for the play to be called. Pass it left or right and wait and hope #12 gets open. PG attacks the lane very well and does it 3-4 times a game to score and other times are because 12 isn't open and has to do something with the ball. I heard HHS coach even yell many times to the effect, only worry about Martin. As we watched 2 NDA players knock down 3 after 3 before game and at half. We counted 5 for 7 from #34 and 6-7 from #11 but they shoot as a reaction during the game. You can see it, like oh I am open I better shoot and they hardly ever shoot. I also heard these two teams play in 2 weeks again. A must see.

Nice post. I agree that ND probably could have pressured a little more. HHS was missing both their starting guards today, so it makes sense they are a little shaky against the press. However, when at full strength, HHS loves to be pressured because it typically turns into layups at the other end. That's why teams rarely press them full court. But today, it made sense and ND almost stole one in a great comeback.

I really like Martin and the PG. Two nice players that know the game. The big girl plays hard and beat our players to a lot of tough rebounds. ND was quick to the loose balls and played very scrappy (which I love to watch). They do seem a little slow on offense at times, but they also got some easy baskets off some of their sets. I did sense a little dissension on the team at times, with girls screaming at the other to "give me the ball". I have no idea if that's an issue or not (or just this game), but I hope that's something they can work out because that team can be a contender of they play together. I don't know all the players names on this ND squad, but I felt like they have a pretty good team when they played as one like they did at times in the 4th today.

Great comeback by ND and they almost finished it off. (got a 20pt lead to 6 in the 4th with a good look at a 3 pointer to take it down to 3) But HHS was able to connect on their free throws and keep it just out of reach.

Shout out to my girl Kennedy Baugh! Always love watching her play.

Nice game by both teams. Good luck to the Pandas! (except next Tuesday!)

Nice post. I agree that ND probably could have pressured a little more. HHS was missing both their starting guards today, so it makes sense they are a little shaky against the press. However, when at full strength, HHS loves to be pressured because it typically turns into layups at the other end. That's why teams rarely press them full court. But today, it made sense and ND almost stole one in a great comeback.

I really like Martin and the PG. Two nice players that know the game. The big girl plays hard and beat our players to a lot of tough rebounds. ND was quick to the loose balls and played very scrappy (which I love to watch). They do seem a little slow on offense at times, but they also got some easy baskets off some of their sets. I did sense a little dissension on the team at times, with girls screaming at the other to "give me the ball". I have no idea if that's an issue or not (or just this game), but I hope that's something they can work out because that team can be a contender of they play together. I don't know all the players names on this ND squad, but I felt like they have a pretty good team when they played as one like they did at times in the 4th today.

Great comeback by ND and they almost finished it off. (got a 20pt lead to 6 in the 4th with a good look at a 3 pointer to take it down to 3) But HHS was able to connect on their free throws and keep it just out of reach.

Shout out to my girl Kennedy Baugh! Always love watching her play.

Nice game by both teams. Good luck to the Pandas! (except next Tuesday!)

Great catch during the game and there was to much of this. Players think they are open because a set is called but the PG can see she doesn't have the angle or defender sealed off, or your hands aren't out or up, or you were lazy on your cut and the defender is on your hip, so she isn't going to pass the ball to you. Your open in practice because there is no one guarding you type of thing.The last thing a teammate wants to do is start that talk especially during the game. Just work hard and play. But your correct and the PG heard it and dealt with it after the game with a couple players. It is being seen more now because there are some playing time battles going on and kids wanting more touches that aren't getting them as nothing is designed for them. They will work it out. Not about where you are in late December, which is much more competitive and better than last year, but where they are in Feb and March.

Did I hear this right? HHS had like 34 free throws making 27-28 to NDA 8 attempts. That can not be correct ?

Did I hear this right? HHS had like 34 free throws making 27-28 to NDA 8 attempts. That can not be correct ?

I have no idea if those stats are correct or not...but let's assume they are. Why can that not be correct?

85%! That's decent. You better hope they don't have the lead near the end of the game.

Decent? That's dang great. But having seen the game I wouldn't say HHS was the aggressor or that much more to have such a big difference in attempts. But with that said yes that's great shooting.

Decent? That's dang great. But having seen the game I wouldn't say HHS was the aggressor or that much more to have such a big difference in attempts. But with that said yes that's great shooting.

Well I can tell you that HHS spends A LOT of time on defensive technique. They work on moving their feet, anticipating and taking the correct angles. They also play a lot of zone against certain teams. I've been watching them for a long time and foul differential is almost always won by the Birds because they just don't foul a lot. They don't want you to get to the line. I can't tell you how many times they have been behind late in the game and had to foul just to get into the bonus to put the other team on the line. Many teams say the same thing you are saying after playing the Birds. But in this game, with ND being down 20 and 15-17 in the fourth, they went to a very aggressive defense for about a quarter and a half. That's where a lot of the fouls came from. It got them back in the game. Were there fouls the refs could have called on the Birds that they didn't, yes. But there were also several not called on ND that could have been called. At the end of the day, the differential would have been about the same. Correct defense is part of their strategy and they work hard on it and it pays off.

I know some of you will say "oh so the Birds just don't foul right?" To that I say, watch a tape and really focus on them and how they play defense. You will see what I mean. Cause the only other explanation would be that the refs favor the Birds. Well that would have to be in almost every game they play and I find that very hard to believe. I'm telling you, just about everyone we play complains about foul differential.