Royals trying to "fix" slumping Cueto

Never had this long of a bad streak for the Reds:

INN Hits Runs

6.0 13 6

5.0 8 6

6.0 9 4

3.0 7 5

KANSAS CITY -- It was nearly a month ago that Johnny Cueto showcased the 'wow' factor in a dominating four-hit shutout performance against the Tigers. He followed that outing by allowing just one run over eight innings against the Angels and looked as good as advertised when the Royals went shopping for a true ace prior to the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.

But since Aug. 15, Cueto has run into hard times.

When he was lifted after just three innings on Sunday, having allowed seven hits and five earned runs, it marked the fourth consecutive start in which Cueto has struggled. The right-hander took a fourth consecutive loss as the White Sox prevailed, 7-5, to sweep the three-game weekend series.

Manager Ned Yost had talked before the game about how Cueto and pitching coach Dave Eiland had been working on keeping Cueto's front shoulder from "flying open." But the first five White Sox hitters reached base and Cueto was down 3-0 before he could record an out.

Johnny Cueto loses fourth straight start | royals.com

Are they messing with his Tiant-esque delivery maybe?

A little "homesick"?

I think he is homesick honestly. He was pitching fine until the Royals made the trip to Cincy. And since then he's been terrible. I think him seeing his former teammates and hanging out with them then leaving messed him up a bit.

He really did love his teammates here in Cincy. And I also think him not being around Bryan Pena has had an effect as well.

I think he is homesick honestly. He was pitching fine until the Royals made the trip to Cincy. And since then he's been terrible. I think him seeing his former teammates and hanging out with them then leaving messed him up a bit.

He really did love his teammates here in Cincy. And I also think him not being around Bryan Pena has had an effect as well.

I sure as hell miss him. But Redlegs just cannot afford what he would have been offered as a free agent. Maybe the price will get discounted this off season...and you never know.

I know a few folks here will think I'm nuts but I think the Redlegs really need to keep Pena. He's a class guy, he enjoys playing the game and I enjoy watching him, he's a throwback and does a lot for his teammates you don't see on the field. He'll make a fine coach or manager some day.

Homesick? I don't buy that.

I think the bigger issue with Cueto is that his delivery is inconsistent. Sometimes that works to his advantage by disrupting the hitter's timing. Of course, it can also disrupt his own rhythm and timing. It seemed that he was almost having too much fun in KC and was changing his delivery on a pitch-by-pitch basis. Initially, it worked, but there is a reason why most pitchers make an effort simplify their delivery.

I looked at the stats before and after the return trip to Cincy. Night and day.

In his 4 starts before the Royals game to town, he had given up a total of 6 runs combined. He pitched the game right after they left town, he gave up 13 hits and 7 runs. And has been terrible since.

Lots of pressure on him, especially for a team that knows they have a short window.

He doesn't speak great English, now has to get used to a new town and who knows how many Dominicans on KC he has that he can relate with.

A pitcher needs someone to connect with behind the plate. Guaranteed he is still in feeling out stage with his new KC catcher. Pena was more important than some realize. I wish him all best. Loved watching him more than anyone here since Soto.

Cueto had a better outing (no decision) despite Royals losing.

7 innings 8 hits 2 runs. Next two starts will decide where he fits in playoff plans. Last start is scheduled for final day of season so would have to pitch a Game 1 on short rest so that will likely be adjusted one way or the other.