Should This Guy Be Arrested?

Clyde

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the legality, and I don't agree with what he said at all, but to me this falls under freedom of speech and seems no different than the hate rhetoric that is being spewed from lots of groups of different races these days. The country is in a bad place and we need strong leadership to stand up and unite us, all I have seen is division for quite some time.

I don't know the legality, and I don't agree with what he said at all, but to me this falls under freedom of speech and seems no different than the hate rhetoric that is being spewed from lots of groups of different races these days. The country is in a bad place and we need strong leadership to stand up and unite us, all I have seen is division for quite some time.

As I've posted on here previously , the country's shape in regards to race is essentially the same as it has been for decades. Most people are just quieter about their beliefs or use code words.

I don't see that changing.

As I've posted on here previously , the country's shape in regards to race is essentially the same as it has been for decades. Most people are just quieter about their beliefs or use code words.

I don't see that changing.

I don't entirely agree with you, I grew up in a small town and have seen many changes in my small town on the views on race and creed. I believe more people in my town now even support things such as gay marriage. When I was growing up such a thing would be unheard of it, they would have wanted to burn those individuals at the stake.

I don't entirely agree with you, I grew up in a small town and have seen many changes in my small town on the views on race and creed. I believe more people in my town now even support things such as gay marriage. When I was growing up such a thing would be unheard of it, they would have wanted to burn those individuals at the stake.

You're talking a matter of degree.

I'm glad it's moving but is' moving very slowly (and may not really be moving like we think).

You're talking a matter of degree.

I'm glad it's moving but is' moving very slowly (and may not really be moving like we think).

I disagree with this completely. Racism exists but to act like it's even as bad as 1990 would be wrong.

There are moments of extreme racism and there are bigots and large numbers of them. But those number aren't as large as 1960 1970 1980 1990 .

We should call out racism when we see it. But cheer advancements when we see it.

The Republican party was called the racist party of old white men. Right now Ben Carson is #2 in polling for president. Racists of the 1960s aren't voting for Ben Carson.

There are more interracial couples and there are less and less dirty looks. With people under 40 it's becoming a non issue.

I could list example after example.

That's not to say racism doesn't exist because it does. It probably will in some fashion for all of tIme.

I just can't agree with the concept things haven't moved forward.

I disagree with this completely. Racism exists but to act like it's even as bad as 1990 would be wrong. There are moments of extreme racism and there are bigots and large numbers of them. But those number aren't as large as 1960 1970 1980 1990 . We should call out racism when we see it. But cheer advancements when we see it. The Republican party was called the racist party of old white men. Right now Ben Carson is #2 in polling for president. Racists of the 1960s aren't voting for Ben Carson. There are more interracial couples and there are less and less dirty looks. With people under 40 it's becoming a non issue. I could list example after example. That's not to say racism doesn't exist because it does. It probably will in some fashion for all of tIme. I just can't agree with the concept things haven't moved forward.

Again, degrees. Forward is a low bar to hurdle.

I would argue the mind set you are putting forth is part of the problem as well.

Not talking specifically about you but there are people both white and black who feel they are on the right side of the race issue who look down from an ivory tower and pass judgement on society as a whole. It's not them but everybody else.

" I don't have a racist bone in my body, but man is society racist "

If we can't applaud the advancements then how can we move forward if we think we are always stuck in neutral.

We need to call out racism when we see it and applaud advancements and recognize them.

To be little how far this country has come in just my short 32 years on the planet is doing an injustice to what really has happened.

I would argue the mind set you are putting forth is part of the problem as well.

Not talking specifically about you but there are people both white and black who feel they are on the right side of the race issue who look down from an ivory tower and pass judgement on society as a whole. It's not them but everybody else.

If we can't applaud the advancements then how can we move forward if we think we are always stuck in neutral.

We need to call out racism when we see it and applaud advancements and recognize them.

To be little how far this country has come in just my short 32 years on the planet is doing an injustice to what really has happened.

Many on this board look down from their perch, while saying some pretty hateful things about those that don't look like them or act like them.

Degrees? Do you want all discrimination to cease to exist? We all do but that's human nature, everyone makes a face or disagrees with something and that creates some form of discrimination. We will never remove racism and discrimination but the degrees is a huge gigantic differences from even 20 years ago. You act as if its limping along, when it's light years different from my youth.

Could you imagine 30 years ago gay marriage being legal? Now its legal and from what I can gather the majority of the people my age in their low 30's agree with gay marriage. Could you imagine 30 years ago people not batting an eye at interracial marriage or biracial children? Well today I see it every day, everywhere I turn and I never see people having a problem with it. Yes maybe some people go to their car and make a rude comment about it, but when I was a child you would hear people say something under their breath or make rude gestures in public to those peoples faces.

To me that is not degrees of change, that is significant changes in 30 years.

Could be generational as I have 20 years on you.

Any advancement is obviously a positive and needs to be recognized.

Too many will take a few examples and say "see, what's the problem" instead of continuing to push for change. Plus, as I stated before, just because it's blatant and in our face doesn't mean it doesn't exist. People are smarter about hiding their racist views from the public. Heck, some of them will tell you they're not racist and really believe it.

I'll re-state my "degrees" belief and say it's not coming fast enough especially for those being on the wrong end of the racism. Easy for white guys to say "hey, it's better" when we're not having to face it.

Degrees? Do you want all discrimination to cease to exist? We all do but that's human nature, everyone makes a face or disagrees with something and that creates some form of discrimination. We will never remove racism and discrimination but the degrees is a huge gigantic differences from even 20 years ago. You act as if its limping along, when it's light years different from my youth.

Could you imagine 30 years ago gay marriage being legal? Now its legal and from what I can gather the majority of the people my age in their low 30's agree with gay marriage. Could you imagine 30 years ago people not batting an eye at interracial marriage or biracial children? Well today I see it every day, everywhere I turn and I never see people having a problem with it. Yes maybe some people go to their car and make a rude comment about it, but when I was a child you would hear people say something under their breath or make rude gestures in public to those peoples faces.

To me that is not degrees of change, that is significant changes in 30 years.

"It's not just a matter of it not being polite to say (insert a certain slur) in public."

President Obama

Yes, we may be more PC. And let me point out this is the same PC attitude that the same people who say we have come far in regard to racism whine about. Political correctness is political correctness, but it doesn't necessarily reveal attitude or belief. And attitude and belief are what lead to the acts of racist violence and blatant discrimination. John Crow may be dead, gays may be able to marry, and I may get fired from my job for using a slur, but racism is still a MAJOR problem, if not our worst problem, in this country.

And I myself am guilty of racism. I try to work it through mentally when I catch myself stereotyping, but it happens. Then you just got to talk it through in your head and realize you were wrong, move on and do better.

"It's not just a matter of it not being polite to say (insert a certain slur) in public."

President Obama

Yes, we may be more PC. And let me point out this is the same PC attitude that the same people who say we have come far in regard to racism whine about. Political correctness is political correctness, but it doesn't necessarily reveal attitude or belief. And attitude and belief are what lead to the acts of racist violence and blatant discrimination. John Crow may be dead, gays may be able to marry, and I may get fired from my job for using a slur, but racism is still a MAJOR problem, if not our worst problem, in this country.

And I myself am guilty of racism. I try to work it through mentally when I catch myself stereotyping, but it happens. Then you just got to talk it through in your head and realize you were wrong, move on and do better.

Is stereotyping necessarily bad? Having a preconceived notion based on first impression doesn't make you a bad person. You can see someone and naturally be scared and that doesn't make you bad because they scare you. It only makes you bad if you refuse to change or adapt in my opinion. I stereotype against certain genres of music, and vehicles and movies all the time, if I give that music or movie a try that doesn't mean I am horrible for having that stereotype going in. I think that goes for life as well, I think its OK to feel that way about people as well.

I have my share of friends, both white and black. My son's best friend at school for years was black - spent the night often and he went with us on family vacations. But guess what? That fine young boy has become a fine young gang thug and my son is no longer allowed to see him. In fact, 4 years ago he told my son that his (black) friends told him to quit hanging out with him (this was about age 12). My son was floored. He said his friend even looked like he was going to cry. Still makes me want to cry when I think about it.

I could care less if Farrakan or this guy leaves this earth today. For me personally they are problem causers, not problem solvers.