St Henry 3 Newport Central Catholic 1

hoops5

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah got to wonder about the cr over turning an offsides.

Agreed. I have seen it but it is rare and is usually something like I described or when the flag is early and a different player gets the ball. Video would be great for this.

Wayoffsides, IMO the offsides call getting overturned was the right call. The kid who scored was not offsides, the flag went up on a different player that never got involved in the play. Other than that I think your summary is pretty right on. I would add to it that NCC's defense was the worst I have seem them this year. They definitely had an off game defensively. I also think the coach expected too much from his players by not subbing them out and getting fresh legs and letting them hydrate. It tells me that NCC's deep bench is just for show.

Wayoffsides, IMO the offsides call getting overturned was the right call. The kid who scored was not offsides, the flag went up on a different player that never got involved in the play. Other than that I think your summary is pretty right on. I would add to it that NCC's defense was the worst I have seem them this year. They definitely had an off game defensively. I also think the coach expected too much from his players by not subbing them out and getting fresh legs and letting them hydrate. It tells me that NCC's deep bench is just for show.

See......"game analysis" and not excuses........DBLYLW, learn grass hopper..

Agreed. I have seen it but it is rare and is usually something like I described or when the flag is early and a different player gets the ball. Video would be great for this.

I was sitting almost directly across from the AR and I can tell you my arm went up at the same time as the flag. The center was trailing the play by 10-15 yards. No idea why he would overturn it when it was already correctly called. He was really quick with the whistle all night. I Started to think heading the ball was illegal since he called a foul on almost every one. Called a lot of "touch" fouls but then let a clear shirt pull in the box that negated a possible shot to tie it late go without a call.

Going to try hard this year to not allow poor and biased officiating dominate my posts. At least NCC doesnt play at Highlands this year so there is at least some hope I can be successful.

Going to try hard this year to not allow poor and biased officiating dominate my posts. At least NCC doesnt play at Highlands this year so there is at least some hope I can be successful.

Poor maybe (lot of new refs) but biased. I'm pretty sure the refs don't conspire before a game against a team. If you think NCC is the only team gets bad calls you are mistaken, but your probably the guy yelling to call it both ways. If it was that easy everyone would be doing not quitting at an alarming rate. You need them there but than complain when you dont like the way he calls the game. Like it says on another thread it's not the world cup and these are kids many of which are winding up their soccer careers so relax and enjoy the game.

I was not at this game last night nor do I have any insight on it. However in reading the last few posts I would like to ask why AGAIN we let referees dominate our threads? You know as well as I do that they make mistakes, so do the players and so do the coaches. Let's agree to not yell or badger these men and women during games. There are very few left and if want to play games we need them. Good or bad we need them to be there, let's just hope they are consistent.

I was not at this game last night nor do I have any insight on it. However in reading the last few posts I would like to ask why AGAIN we let referees dominate our threads? You know as well as I do that they make mistakes, so do the players and so do the coaches. Let's agree to not yell or badger these men and women during games. There are very few left and if want to play games we need them. Good or bad we need them to be there, let's just hope they are consistent.

Because as a culture most soccer fans get their jollies off criticizing referees. Especially since soccer refereeing is arguably the most physically, mentally and technically challenging sport to officiate.

Makes the fans feel smarter than they are I think

I was not able to make this game but I'm surprised by the result and score. Someone on here has indicated NCC is the best conditioned team, will out play every opponent, has the most top 10 players (and is it 4 or 5 of the top ten), and is by far the team to beat and has all but handed them the 9th regional title. I know it is only one game but what happened? Maybe if the cross bar was 5 feet higher, there was a better center ref, NCC came out in a different formation, NCC used their bench more (this one confuses me, I thought NCC was by far the best conditioned team, maybe that tough game Vs Cov Latin wore them out). I find it hard to believe a team that possess so many of these attributes can be beaten 3-1 by a team many don't even have in the top 5.

I was at the game last night as well. As the player of a Crusader player my view is probably a little biased also. But what I saw was a game of two halves. In the first half St Henry held possession and controlled the ball. Good shots on goal were about even. St Henry converted 2 and NCC missed their opportunities. St Henry goalie Johnson made a really nice save on a direct kick and deflected another point blank shot. In the second half NCC attacked. They outshot the Crusaders and had a few really nice shots that hit the posts. Their goal came on a direct that it appears the goalie jumped too early. He had to swat it away as he was on the way back down and it got through. There were a ton of fouls called both ways. Mainly for pushing on headers. The only legitimate complaint I believe NCC could make was on the above mentioned no call late on an obvious hold in the box. I'm not sure how that one was missed unless the center ref's view was blocked out. In the end St Henry converted on more of their shots than NCC did. I thought NCC played much better in the second half than they did in the first half. Or maybe the Cru played much better in the first half than they did in the second half. Take you pick. It was an entertaining game.

On another note I must say, it is sad to hear students heckling other teams players and ball boys, parents heckling refs. Our school is not immune to this either. I have been at many a matches where I hear students yelling at players of the other team. Why is this tolerated by the parents of their respective schools? Is it because they see the parents yelling at the refs so they feel it is okay to yell at someone also? Very disappointing. I hope I never catch my kid doing this. He will be yanked out of the stands. Cheering and booing are okay. Heckling is not.

Flops...that is my biggest issue, consistency........instead of addressing the consistency, KHSAA actually implemented a rule (conseq. yellows) that does affect the players eligibility and ability to play. I have always said that if the ref is in the right position to make the call...ie AR staying on the last defender line, or the center keeping up with the play, they have a better view than me from the stands so the call is theirs......but it is the ones that can't keep up or don't stay where they need to be that can affect the game.....

CCH vs Walnut Hills......CCH player was offsides, but the AR was 15 yards away from where he should have been.......luckily for WH, it didn't result in a goal.

Humans ref....I know, but there are some out there that either the game has passed by, or think they are the game......

With that said..........Thanks for all the hard work, refs.

Just a quick follow up to my original post. It's just my opinion and I'm not perfect but I think I talked about the good from St Henry side and also stated good aspects of NCC. I stated goals made not attempts on goal. I did not speak in could've, would've should've. And yes NCC had several opportunities in this game but only finished one. I'm sure St Henry goalie would love to have that one back. He stops that 99 out of 100 times. If we're talking in terms of maybes then this score could've been all over the place. Could've been 3-1 which it was. Could've tied. Could've been 8-0 St Henry. Could've been 6-0 NCC. You get the point. St Henry did a better job of finishing end of story. May be different next game. In reference to the offsides. Refs did a nice job of conferring on the play and in the end they got the call right. Just reviewed the video. Sanders on side by 4-5 feet. The outside mid was off but was not involved with the play. Good job by AR and CR on this one. Also if a player puts his hands on someone and extends them he will most likely get a foul called on him. Happened both ways all game. Thought CR controlled that well.

Flops...that is my biggest issue, consistency........instead of addressing the consistency, KHSAA actually implemented a rule (conseq. yellows) that does affect the players eligibility and ability to play. I have always said that if the ref is in the right position to make the call...ie AR staying on the last defender line, or the center keeping up with the play, they have a better view than me from the stands so the call is theirs......but it is the ones that can't keep up or don't stay where they need to be that can affect the game.....

CCH vs Walnut Hills......CCH player was offsides, but the AR was 15 yards away from where he should have been.......luckily for WH, it didn't result in a goal.

Humans ref....I know, but there are some out there that either the game has passed by, or think they are the game......

With that said..........Thanks for all the hard work, refs.

OK.......One more thing along the ref line.........I know.....:deadhorse:

Last night, at the start of the second half of the CCH / Walnut Hills game, CCH had the restart. They noticed the keeper off his line, and one touch forward and a long shot that went just left. If it had been on line, goal.

Score was 5-0 at the time, but both starting line ups were in. The CR came over to the player who took the shot and told him he thought that was rubbing it in." He actually made a comment on the shot and play. Bad form. If the player would have responded back negatively, I wonder if he would have given a yellow?

Later in the game, when it was 7-1, after he had given a deserved PK to WH for their goal, there were two clear fouls that should/could have been called for PKs for CCH. Both CCH players went down pretty hard. No foul called.....OK, with the score what it is, you have to make the call to protect the players, just move it outside the box...........but a no call?

Consistency please....