Lawsuits allege abuse, sleeping by Boone County. 911 dispatchers

theguru

Women say the were punished for reporting problems

BURLINGTON (AP and WLWT) —Two Boone County emergency dispatch workers have filed a whistleblower lawsuit against the county, accusing a supervisor and co-worker of using abusive language to minority callers and sleeping on duty.

The Kentucky Enquirer reports that Kelly Preston and Jeanne Fleek say they were mistreated, told to stop reporting the behavior and suspended after complaining about the unidentified dispatchers.

The lawsuit, filed on Monday, says a supervisor fell asleep on the job several times and racially harassed both callers and Fleek, a Native American.

Fleek's lawsuit alleges that her supervisors told her co-workers that Fleek had complained about them, causing the work environment to become hostile toward her.

Preston alleges in her lawsuit that the supervisor once slept through a police pursuit.

When she complained, she was told to stop reporting it and instead monitor the supervisor and keep her awake, the lawsuit states.

Both women were moved from first shift to second (Preston) or third (Fleek) after filing their complaints, despite their seniority among dispatchers, the lawsuits allege.

The lawsuit is against the Boone County Fiscal Court, which pays for and manages the dispatch center. The plaintiffs seek compensatory damages and any improper disciplinary marks to be removed from their personnel files.

Lawsuits allege abuse, sleeping by Boone Co. 911 dispatchers | Local News - WLWT Home

I can't say alot, but I will say this. Fleek's claims are baseless and I really am disappointing in her comments. The other, well lol, Guru knows the other and I will leave it at that lol. Someone who has threatened to sue her work place for the last 18 years whenever she didn't get her way.

I will also add this, Preston was not moved to another shift because of what she is claiming, actually that supervisor had already been moved to another shift well before Preston got herself in work related trouble and the reason she was moved to another shift had nothing at all to do with the supervisor she talks about, who by the way has not been back to work in several months. Preston was moved for being negligent and her failure to perform her job correctly.

I would think that it should not be hard to prove the allegations of language and sleeping during calls, since they are recorded.

I will not comment on this any further. I probably already said too much.

Have a nice day all :)

Edited by Hellbird

What happened with the call in question has not been disputed, but again that was dealt with and that dispatcher had been removed from that shift and hasn't been back to work in several months. the two who filed the lawsuit were disciplined for other work deficiencies and because they didn't want to be disciplined have come up with this suit period.

Gotcha, it seems we all unfortunately, work with this type of person(s).

Like Hellbird said I know both Kelly and Jeanne. Jeanne and I started off on the wrong foot but we found common ground with each other and worked fine together. I have known Kelly for 25 plus years. I like Kelly but she is never far from controversy.

I can't imagine sleeping through a police pursuit though. Whenever I hear Boone Co has one my ears perk up. It's right up there with listening to a UK basketball game on the radio.

I don't know all the details but I seem to remember from the past that the supervisor in question has a diagnosed medical condition and the sleep issue hasn't been an issue for over a decade but I am long in the tooth.

I don't know all the details but I seem to remember from the past that the supervisor in question has a diagnosed medical condition and the sleep issue hasn't been an issue for over a decade but I am long in the tooth.

I was wondering if it may have been a medical issue. Makes sense.

I was wondering if it may have been a medical issue. Makes sense.

Narcolepsy comes to mind but again that is from memory long ago. I will say, this particular Dispatcher/Supervisor is a very sweet woman that I have always had a great relationship with.