Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Net Neutrality by FCC

Featured Replies

Being pushed through in an aggressive mode - though no one has literally seen it.

 

What is it? How will effect the internet? Is it too much power in the government hands? Is it threat or help? Has it really been done without political involvement? Is the end of free speech on the internet? How does it affect services like Netflix? etc. etc.

 

Again, the proposed rules are not even open to the public. Yet it seems to be on fast path.

 

Some links:

 

Open Internet | FCC.gov

 

Fervor builds as FCC net-neutrality vote looms

 

5 Things You Need to Know About the FCC's Net Neutrality Plan | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

  • Replies 53
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No denying that I don't trust parts of it. To my mind, big government and big business are quite often two sides of the same coin these days and I'm not particularly trusting of either. I do think that non-prioritized, easy-to-access, cheap to use internet has led and will continue to lead to remarkable innovation. I'm not sure that this is the best solution.

 

I like the rules for no prioritization and the ability to file grievances for ISPs engaging in peering. I'm not sure that regulating these as public utilities is the way to go.

Being pushed through in an aggressive mode - though no one has literally seen it.

 

What is it? How will effect the internet? Is it too much power in the government hands? Is it threat or help? Has it really been done without political involvement? Is the end of free speech on the internet? How does it affect services like Netflix? etc. etc.

 

Again, the proposed rules are not even open to the public. Yet it seems to be on fast path.

 

Some links:

 

Open Internet | FCC.gov

 

Fervor builds as FCC net-neutrality vote looms

 

5 Things You Need to Know About the FCC's Net Neutrality Plan | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

 

Is this another one where they have to pass it so they can read it situation?

Is this another one where they have to pass it so they can read it situation?

 

No the rules are only eight pages long. They've read them. They know what's in them. They don't have them open to anyone else.

What makes me say what I said above is that I don't believe that the heart of this is ultimately a consumer protection issue. We're stuck in the middle of a huge fight between the companies that create content (Netflix, Yahoo, Google, etc.) and the companies that then distribute that content (Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, etc.). That right there is enough to give me doubts about this outcome.

 

In the end, it's a fight about who's going to have to pay the bill for network expansion when it comes time to do so. Lots of people buying Netflix subscriptions so we need more bandwidth to accommodate it. Netflix wants to ban priority and peering so that the telecoms have to pay for it. Telecoms want to allow for specialized payments for content providers to pay for that expansion. As always, this is about the money.

What makes me say what I said above is that I don't believe that the heart of this is ultimately a consumer protection issue. We're stuck in the middle of a huge fight between the companies that create content (Netflix, Yahoo, Google, etc.) and the companies that then distribute that content (Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, etc.). That right there is enough to give me doubts about this outcome.

 

In the end, it's a fight about who's going to have to pay the bill for network expansion when it comes time to do so. Lots of people buying Netflix subscriptions so we need more bandwidth to accommodate it. Netflix wants to ban priority and peering so that the telecoms have to pay for it. Telecoms want to allow for specialized payments for content providers to pay for that expansion. As always, this is about the money.

 

John Oliver's piece on this is quite interesting.

John Oliver's piece on this is quite interesting.

 

Please post a link. @PepRock01

 

Cuban is... let's just say "prone to hyperbole", but I get where he's coming from. As a guy who does what he does, he's looking far down the line and imagining if his investment will be worthwhile.

 

In the end, the telecoms brought this on themselves when they proposed the prioritization rules that sent everyone into this panic in the first place. They didn't ever come to fruition but this reaction was bound to happen.

Getslow, what do you make of Cuban's comments about TV as we know it is gone?

If this has the same effect on the internet that Obamacare has had on the healthcare system then it is a disaster,

If this has the same effect on the internet that Obamacare has had on the healthcare system then it is a disaster,

 

I guess it is two fold, I think the idea is to make all things equal on the Net but that can have the consequence of not enough bandwidth to get what you want when you want it. Additionally, this puts the FCC in charge of the Net and I assume they could be real heavy handed when it comes to censorship. What would it be like if the censorship rules were the same on the Net as they are on TV?

I'm thinking more in terms of now mandating what has to be provided. I'll admit I like everyone else is pretty in the dark about this. My biggest concern is that if this was just some innocuous rules that would have little or no effect on people why was it kept so close to the vest? I'm old enough to remember the strict government controls that used to be in place on telephones. The thought of those kinds of onerous regulations on the net is scary.

Getslow, what do you make of Cuban's comments about TV as we know it is gone?

 

At this point, I think it's a stretch, but I won't say he's wrong either. Just because the FCC is stepping in here doesn't mean they're going to step in at another place. He makes a common mistake that people opposed to government regulation sometimes do: that the government will actually have any rhyme or reason for applying it when they do. The telecoms and the content providers have a pretty decent thing going and I can't imagine too many on either side will line up behind applying these rules to cable, which means it'll never get done. There was a LOT of corporate interest at work on both sides of this discussion and it looks as though Google and Yahoo won this round at the expense of Comcast and AT&T... they probably won't lose again.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.