Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question for BGP Referees

Featured Replies

  • Author
I've got the video. I'll attempt to post.

It clearly should have been a violation IMO.

 

If you have video, can I post it on my site? I've been dying to rip the refs to shreds on WKU's behalf. :lol2:

  • Replies 36
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have video, can I post it on my site? I've been dying to rip the refs to shreds on WKU's behalf. :lol2:

 

If that is the intent, if the shooter made the free throw the refs don't do anything. The pump fake does not negate him making the free throw and it counting.

  • Author
If that is the intent, if the shooter made the free throw the refs don't do anything. The pump fake does not negate him making the free throw and it counting.

 

If it's a violation it would absolutely wipe off the made free throw, right?

If it's a violation it would absolutely wipe off the made free throw, right?

 

No. The pump fake has no impact on whether the free throw counts or not. There is no violation for a shooter who pump fakes. If he pump fakes and makes it, it still counts. The only impact is there is no lane violation if the shooter does a pump fake.

 

So then you may ask why don't more people do it? The answer is there is nothing gained by pump faking. All it does is disrupt the shooter's own normal routine/rhythm. If you are the shooter, why would you do it? You gain absolutely nothing by doing the pump fake.

  • Author
No. The pump fake has no impact on whether the free throw counts or not. There is no violation for a shooter who pump fakes. If he pump fakes and makes it, it still counts. The only impact is there is no lane violation if the shooter does a pump fake.

 

So then you may ask why don't more people do it? The answer is there is nothing gained by pump faking. All it does is disrupt the shooter's own normal routine/rhythm. If you are the shooter, why would you do it? You gain absolutely nothing by doing the pump fake.

 

So you are saying it is not a violation to fake a free throw attempt?

I watched that game and he definitely started his motion as if he was going to shoot the free throw then didn't shoot, and a bunch of players from both team jumped into the lane. Then on his second attempt he used a one motion shooting form completely different from the first.

Coach Harper from WKU and his assistants were pretty upset over it and let the refs know about it. It was a tight game in the final seconds of the game.

 

I don't know how they didn't call something. The TV guys felt the same way.

 

But I've discovered one thing by reading these ref discussions and game situations on BGP.......there's a lot I don't know about officiating rules and I've been watch basketball for over 50 years, lol.

 

I really appreciate Clyde and some of the other guys on here that explain officiating rules and regulations on BGP.

So you are saying it is not a violation to fake a free throw attempt?

 

It is not a violation.

 

If the shooter purposely pump fakes and then makes the free throw, the free throw counts and no action of any kind is taken by the refs.

 

Again, I am not a ref so I could be wrong.

  • Author

That's why I made this thread. I want to understand the rule on this.

  • Author
It is not a violation.

 

If the shooter purposely pump fakes and then makes the free throw, the free throw counts and no action of any kind is taken by the refs.

 

So you're telling me that a college player can walk up to the line and do a quick fake like he is taking a shot, then back away, pause for a few seconds and walk back up and take a shot?

Well ... maybe I am wrong. I just googled the NBA rules and it is a violation and the free throw would not count in the NBA. I am trying to find the college rule now.

 

NBA Rule #9 - Free Throws

 

c. The free throw shooter shall not purposely fake a free throw attempt.

PENALTY:

This is a violation by the shooter on all free throw attempts and a double violation should not be called if an opponent violates any free throw rules.

If the free throw attempt is to remain in play, the opposing team shall inbound on either sideline at the free throw line extended.

If the free throw attempt is not to remain in play, then play will continue from that point.

 

See page 31 in the link below.

 

https://turnernbahangtime.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/2014-15-nba-rule-book.pdf

  • Author
Well ... maybe I am wrong. I just googled the NBA rules and it is a violation and the free throw would not count in the NBA. I am trying to find the college rule now.

 

If this isn't a violation, I'm going to plead to every player in the nation to just start doing fakes at the free throw line (like ASA softball pitchers).

Here is a link to the NCAA rulebook. I am not going to download it to look through for the rule.

 

Men's Basketball Rules of the Game | NCAA Home Page - NCAA.org

 

Since it is a violation in the NBA, I am probably wrong on my posts above about it not being a violation in college. Sorry for the misinformation if it turns out I am wrong.

 

The good news for you, if I am wrong and it is a violation, you have yourself a story.

It is a violation to fake a free throw. NCAA - Rule 8-Section 5 - Free Throws

 

Section 5. Free Throw Requirements

Art. 1. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:

a. The free-thrower shall release the try within 10 seconds and in such a way

that the ball enters the basket or touches the ring or flange before the free

throw ends.

b. The free-thrower shall not purposely fake a try nor shall the free-thrower’s

teammates nor opponents purposely fake a violation.

 

There you have it...

  • Author
It is a violation to fake a free throw. NCAA - Rule 8-Section 5 - Free Throws

 

Section 5. Free Throw Requirements

Art. 1. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:

a. The free-thrower shall release the try within 10 seconds and in such a way

that the ball enters the basket or touches the ring or flange before the free

throw ends.

b. The free-thrower shall not purposely fake a try nor shall the free-thrower’s

teammates nor opponents purposely fake a violation.

 

There you have it...

 

100% violation then. WKU got hosed.

  • Author

Hopefully we can see the video. It's really amazing that nothing was called.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.