Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland 2015

Featured Replies

What does Ashland need to do to improve in 2015? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashland had a rough year last year compared to the expectations. They definitely started off slow and finally found their mojo mid-season. I really hope Ashland has a better year this season and makes a push once again in the playoffs.

 

Last season they had two great athletes in the backfield in Quinton Baker and Jake Long. Long has since moved to Ohio for other reasons not concerning football. Baker returns with a lot of expectations to have a great year and finish his amazing high school football career and continue on to the next level. I would love to hear JEaston's thoughts and what other information he has on the team.

 

Goood luck to the Tomcats this coming season.....except for Game 2..... :thumb:

I don't have much information to provide at this time, but I do have high hopes for this team. I think they will be solid, but whether they are comes down to two things, imo. OL play, and the transition to a new qb. I believe last year's team was better than their record indicated, but it is what it is. The loss of Jake Long hurts, but having Q in the backfield helps ease the loss of another stud rb.

 

I have no information right now to support this, but I think Dowdy will take over at qb. IMO, he could be a good one. He just needs to work on strength and conditioning to help him with the transition to the starting position. As always Ashland lost several linemen due to graduation. This is nothing new, so I believe they will be fine there, it could lead to another slow start though.

 

All in all, I think they will have a better record than last season, how far they advance in the playoffs will come down to one team, Johnson Central. Once again Johnson Central will be the major roadblock in the district. With Highlands and Cov Cath moving up, JC will also be the biggest obstacle for a regional championship. I know JC will have a great team this year and with their upgraded schedule, will be ready for the playoffs this season. If Ashland could get past them the sky is the limit, imo.

 

I'll know more in a few months, but for now that's all I've got lol.

The O line returns Goble, Broughton, and Kruger, and adds Pruitt who moved to Northern KY, played at Ryle and has moved back. Those four have a chance to be pretty good with size and athleticism. I agree that JC will be the hurdle. I dont believe Ashland can beat JC being a run dominated team. Honestly I dont think any team that is run only can beat JC. They beat Belfry last year 35-0 to illustrate my point. JC has problems with teams that spread and are more balanced running and throwing. If they can find a way to be more balanced it will only make Baker more difficult to defend. I look for the QB spot to be a competition in the spring and Dowdy may very well win the job but there are a couple of interesting possibilities in the mix. It will be interesting to see if this years senior group can be mentally tough and lead this team to a deep playoff run. I hope Ashland owns two victories over JC this year and is practicing on Thanksgiving.

I agree that for Ashland to make a playoff run they need to balance the offense a little better. I didn't realise Ashland was returning that much from the ol, that's a good sign. Hopefully the transition at qb goes smoothly and they can spread the offense around a little more this season.

They better win or JD will be calling for the coach's head on a platter.

They better win or JD will be calling for the coach's head on a platter.

 

LOL. Different situation.

I see the core group of seniors putting in additional work at the Y. This outside their weight program. This has a chance to be an intriguing year. I anticipate some position changes and some innovation with personnel and if things fall in place and people stay healthy there is a chance it could be a special year. I cant help but think the game plan and effort against Highlands last year is having some carry over effect.

I see the core group of seniors putting in additional work at the Y. This outside their weight program. This has a chance to be an intriguing year. I anticipate some position changes and some innovation with personnel and if things fall in place and people stay healthy there is a chance it could be a special year. I cant help but think the game plan and effort against Highlands last year is having some carry over effect.

 

 

Glad to hear they are putting in the extra effort. After your previous post about the returning linemen, I'm not as concerned about that as I am in most years. Coach Love has always been big on strength and conditioning. It sounds like his work ethic in that area is rubbing off on the kids.

 

There are a couple of kinks that may need worked out, but if things fall into place, the sky is the limit for this team. As always JC will be a tough out. But if the transition at the qb position goes smoothly, an improved passing game would give Ashland a much better chance against them.

Would really like to see Ashland do good this year, love Q and that group of seniors.

  • Author

Just my opinion, but for Ashland to be successful this coming season, Baker needs to get 25 touches a game. Last year, there were games Ashland lost that he had 14 touches. Coach Love has to use Baker more.

  • Author

Baker touches from 2014:

 

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Win or loss[/TD]

[TD]Opponent[/TD]

[TD]Rushing Attempts[/TD]

[TD]Rushing Yards[/TD]

[TD]Receiving Attempts [/TD]

[TD]Receiving

Yards[/TD]

[TD]Total

Touches[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]W

(1 score game)[/TD]

[TD]Raceland[/TD]

[TD]18[/TD]

[TD]188[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]19[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]L[/TD]

[TD]George Washington[/TD]

[TD]21[/TD]

[TD]179[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]22[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]L (OT)[/TD]

[TD]Russell[/TD]

[TD]26[/TD]

[TD]147[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]84[/TD]

[TD]29[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]L[/TD]

[TD]Ironton[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[TD]77[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]W

(Big win)[/TD]

[TD]Rowan County[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]170[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]W

(Big win)[/TD]

[TD]Boyd County[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]143[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]W

(Big win)[/TD]

[TD]Sheldon Clark[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]278[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]W[/TD]

[TD]Greenup County[/TD]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]82[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]L[/TD]

[TD]Johnson Central[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]29[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]19[/TD]

[TD]12[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]W[/TD]

[TD]Holmes[/TD]

[TD]16[/TD]

[TD]187[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]16[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]L[/TD]

[TD]Highlands[/TD]

[TD]27[/TD]

[TD]239[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]28[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Totals[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]201[/TD]

[TD]1719[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]143[/TD]

[TD]199[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

That and find more creative ways to get him touches. Nothing too fancy, just different ways to get him the ball.

He got over 25 touches in two of Ashland's five losses according to your stats. JC and Ironton were train wrecks and Ashland was out of it early. One could make an argument that he was being spared the contact in those games. That leaves only GW and he touched it 22 times that game. Keep in mind this doesnt take into account the targets in the passing game, so he may have been over 25 in that game had they completed a couple more throws. Interestingly enough in the six wins his touches were all under 25.

  • Author
He got over 25 touches in two of Ashland's five losses according to your stats. JC and Ironton were train wrecks and Ashland was out of it early. One could make an argument that he was being spared the contact in those games. That leaves only GW and he touched it 22 times that game. Keep in mind this doesnt take into account the targets in the passing game, so he may have been over 25 in that game had they completed a couple more throws. Interestingly enough in the six wins his touches were all under 25.

He only had 25 touches in two games all season: 29 in an OT loss to Russell and 28 in the loss to Highlands.

 

He had:

19 against Raceland in a one score game

22 agains JW, respectable

14 in a loss to Ironton

13 in a win versus Rowan County and he probably didn't need more

12 in a win versus Boyd County and he didn't need more

14 in a win versus Sheldon Clark and he didn't need more

20 in a win versus Greenup

16 in a win versus Holmes

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.