Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bill Walton

Featured Replies

May be another thread but how do you feel about Dickie V.? Personally I turn the volume down as low as I can and still be able to hear the crowd noise. He drives me through the wall.

 

Not a more useless announcer than Vitale.

 

I get he's passionate about the game, and he means well, but the guy has to realize that he takes away from the game with his constant screaming and ranting that makes absolutely no sense. Very hard for me to watch a game that he's calling, even if it's a UK game.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate listening to Bill Walton ALMOST as much as I hate listening to Dickie V and Bobby Knight. The worst of the worst though is Billy Packer.

 

I hate to say it, but I'd listen to Knight before Walton. I loved Walton as a player but listening to him now, I wonder how much weed he did before the game.

 

Every time I hear his voice I think of a Dudley Do-Right cartoon.

May be another thread but how do you feel about Dickie V.? Personally I turn the volume down as low as I can and still be able to hear the crowd noise. He drives me through the wall.

 

Dickie V -

 

The Good:

Not really a negative guy, and is typically especially complimentary of the players. Seems like a guy who really enjoys pumping up the kids and doesn't really seem like someone who ever really tries tearing them down. He doesn't mind taking the NCAA to task on issues, especially those as he sees being unjust to the players, coaches, or fans. Has a pretty good sense of humor and doesn't mind laughing at himself (most of his jokes are self-deprecating). Doesn't care to mention things outside the game such as anecdotes, charities, hot spots on campus for people who may be traveling to a game, etc. that can be interesting.

 

The Bad:

Catchphrases were old and worn out years ago. I know part of it is his identity, and that he's probably more enjoyable for the casual fan who tunes in to see their team in a primetime game, but that's not really the kind of thing that appeals to me. In other words, definitely not your first choice when it comes to X's and O's or things like that. His gushing over some programs (Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, etc.) that are always traditional powers makes him come off as a bit of a front-runner.

My favorite Bill Walton quote: Kentucky is playing Portland (Terrence Jones' homecoming series), and Portland has a big red-haired post player who makes a strong move and scores. Walton excitedly goes, "Clifford the big red dog!"... and the guy's name was definitely not Clifford. I don't know why, but I just lost it on that one.

 

Walton is fun to listen to during games as a novelty because you really wonder what's going on in his head sometimes. Also agree with whoever said it earlier when they said that he doesn't care to get after teams or players in his own way. Listening to him do a game where UCLA isn't playing well and they're losing is always a fun time because he cuts them absolutely no slack.

Not a more useless announcer than Vitale.

 

I get he's passionate about the game, and he means well, but the guy has to realize that he takes away from the game with his constant screaming and ranting that makes absolutely no sense. Very hard for me to watch a game that he's calling, even if it's a UK game.

Actually I believe that having an honest passion, respect for the game is a great quality. That's what ii like about Vitale, if I thought him going off on one of his descriptions of a play, admiration for a player, coach, etc.. was some kind of self centered act then I would have trouble with it. That along with the fact of him having a form of throat cancer I believe, combined with his never ending work for the V foundation makes me really admire him. Aggravating at tines - yes, a self centered jerk like Billy Packer (cbs) years ago, Seth Meyers (cbs), Mark May(espn) with football, Doug Gottlieb (cbs) - no.

That's just my opinion though and everyone has theirs.

Might be nice to hear as a featured speaker, but as a color commentator, he just can't get his thoughts out quickly enough for basketball.

 

Walton has most certainly lived an interesting life and has a lot of stories to tell. I imagine the man would be a blast to hang out with for a day.

 

I'll never smoke weed with Bill Walton again, my parties all over before it begins...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.