Scott County 71 Wayne County 69 (Toyota Classic Finals)

Scott Co down 1 with just under 7 seconds left. Washington hits a runner down the lane and gets fouled with 1.5 seconds left.

Lots of up and down action in this one.

Scott Co dominated the offensive glass and shot the ball well from the outside. Isaiah Johnson scored from everywhere and Hines Jones was also knocking down shots.

For Wayne, Sterns and the PG were both putting on a show offensively. Woods was held in check for the most part. The PG had to have hit at least 8 threes.

Wayne missed 3 free throws (two were front end of the bonus) in the final minute or they would have taken this one.

It was a fun game to watch. I may have to venture over to Lafayette when these two play again in a week or two.

I'd agree with everything said.

Johnson dominated the first half for Scott County, had 17 and 9 at the break. Washington had 19pts, 4r, 4a, 3s. Jones played well also, scored some early and set guys up later in the game.

Stearns ended with 26pts, 9r, 5a. Blevins had 32 including 9-16 on 3's. I'd be curious if there was a reason Peyton Woods only took one shot all night, he ended with 5 points. From what I recall he was mostly guarded by Jones and Johnson. They did a good job on him so it would have just been that Wayne Co liked their matchups better with Stearns and Blevins but I did find it odd he was so uninvolved.

And yes, if Wayne makes free throws they win. With 19 seconds left Blevins hit a three to put Wayne up one and was fouled but missed the free throw. Then after that Woods and Stearns both missed the front end of 1-1's that could have put Wayne up 3 points (don't recall order but one happened, Wayne got offensive rebound then other happened).

I was at the Dunbar/Wayne game last weekend and this really reminded me of that game. Scorers for Wayne did really well but lost battle of boards badly. Outside of the big 3 for Wayne they had trouble handling the pressure D of Scott Co (this week) or Dunbar (last week).

One last thing, I've only seen Scott County play a few times but this is by far the best I've seen them play. I really look forward to the rematch in a couple weeks and I'd bet the outcome is different.

Interesting end of the game.

Scott Co led pretty much the entire way, typically by 5-11 points, until Blevins hit a 3 and got fouled with under a minute left to put Wayne up by 1. He missed the free throw and Hines Jones was fouled on the other end, but he missed both free throws. Stearns got the rebound and missed the front end of a 1 and 1. Woods then got the rebound and was fouled, but also missed a front end.

Scott Co got the rebound and the official gave the Scott Co bench a timeout, which lead to a Coach Hicks throwing one of his patented tantrums. I'm guessing he tried to get a timeout when Washington was trapped after gathering the loose ball, and it was granted right after he got out of the trap.

Hicks spent a majority of the timeout time complaining to the officials about the timeout, but eventually went back to his team to set up Washington's game winner.

Hines Jones completely shut Woods down. Peyton finished with 5 points on 1 FGA. Blevens and Stearns carried Wayne with 32 and 26. Blevins hit 9 3s.

Washington was tremendous for Scott Co, and Johnson athleticism caused Wayne Co all kinds of trouble, especially on the glass. Scott Co was very physical and seemed to really frustrate the visiting Cardinals, especially early on.

Stearns ended with 26pts, 9r, 5a. Blevins had 32 including 9-16 on 3's. I'd be curious if there was a reason Peyton Woods only took one shot all night, he ended with 5 points. From what I recall he was mostly guarded by Jones and Johnson. They did a good job on him so it would have just been that Wayne Co liked their matchups better with Stearns and Blevins but I did find it odd he was so uninvolved.

And yes, if Wayne makes free throws they win. With 19 seconds left Blevins hit a three to put Wayne up one and was fouled but missed the free throw. Then after that Woods and Stearns both missed the front end of 1-1's that could have put Wayne up 3 points (don't recall order but one happened, Wayne got offensive rebound then other happened).

I was at the Dunbar/Wayne game last weekend and this really reminded me of that game. Scorers for Wayne did really well but lost battle of boards badly. Outside of the big 3 for Wayne they had trouble handling the pressure D of Scott Co (this week) or Dunbar (last week).

One last thing, I've only seen Scott County play a few times but this is by far the best I've seen them play. I really look forward to the rematch in a couple weeks and I'd bet the outcome is different.

WC's "big three" were averaging roughly 62 ppg entering the Scott County game. They totaled 63 in this game which indicates that Scott County placed a premium on keeping Woods from getting shots which led to Stearns & Blevins getting more opportunities which they made good use of.

However, WC obviously was subpar on keeping Scott County off the offensive boards which killed them. And then at the end of the game they didn't make their free throws and that's a must.

And I agree that Scott County likely played one of their better games of the season but I would expect no less as I'm sure that Coach Hicks did not want Coach Woods to get the best of him in this face-off.

Exciting game to watch. Wayne County out rebounded Scott County in second half and out shot them in both halves. Offensive rebounds in first half by Scott County were due to their quickness and arms being grabbed with no fouls called - plenty of chances when you don't shoot the ball well. Woods made his only shot and had one rebound but he did have 3 assists and two steals. Blevins and Stearns smoked the home team for 32 points and 26 points respectively. Gillespie led team with 11 rebounds and 5 blocks (18 for tournament). KYBleacherButt's comment:

Outside of the big 3 for Wayne they had trouble handling the pressure D of Scott Co

is funny because the only difference in this game from others Wayne has played is that Peyton Woods was unable to score or rebound, and that was offset by Stearns and Blevins taking the Scott County defense to school. Very good game that will make Wayne County a better team. Home court advantage came into play on several calls late in the game that took possession away from Wayne County: Scott County player knocked rebound out of bounds from behind Wayne County player and ball was given to Scott County, Wayne County player was called for carrying the ball with no one guarding him, referee made sure to call a foul on the last shot of the game just in case the shot was missed (no doubt in my mind that was going to happen). Wayne had the chance to put it away but Blevins, Stearns, and Woods all missed free throws. Looking forward to the rematch if game doesn't get canceled or changed due to it being a rematch.

I suppose what I meant by the comment was that anyone other than the big 3 seemed to turn the ball over. Scott Co doubled Gillespie many times in the first half to favorable results. While Woods didn't score I didn't feel like he was a liability on offense. And like you mentioned, as well as Stearns and Blevins played they really didn't need Woods' scoring.

I didn't think the officiating was favorable towards Scott Co, there were some bad calls but nothing I'd call biased. The call you're talking about on the free throw was poor though. My buddy and I talked about it at the time. It looked like one of those plays where it may have been off of Wayne but that was only because the Scott player was over the back. Most often on a play like that the ball is just given to the defense without a foul being called.

Did think of one other thing, I (and who I was with) thought Blevins was fouled a couple times on 3 pointers (just like the one they called in the last minute) that didn't get called.