Mercer County 71 Anderson County 66

Mercer continues to fly under the radar in improving to 15-4 on the season. Anderson-Mercer is always an intense, physical game. Always. I believe the final score was as close as it was the entire night. It was a 12 point game at the half. Anderson closed the gap once they started putting Mercer on the line over the last 4 minutes. Mercer probably shot 50% from the line during that span. Gotta make these to have a chance to beat the really good teams.

Mercer had 4 in double figures: Dow 20, Hager 15, Mink 12 & Faulkner 12. Anderson went to a box on Hager the second half and Dow stepped up big. What makes this team dangerous is their balance. They have 4 players that are legit threats to score 20+ on any night. Makes it very difficult for teams to focus on one or even two players.

15 wins over very mediocre teams. Would like to see them play one of the top 4 teams in 12th or any really good out of region teams. Still have Boyle, Lincoln and SW on the schedule. Will be interesting to see how they fare in those games.

Agreed. This is my beef with Mercer County. They are definitely a very solid team but nobody knows just how good they are because they haven't played anyone at all and the teams they have lost to aren't world beaters. Their first true test of the season will be against Boyle County on the 27th of January. A lot of questions about Mercer County will be answered that night.

I agree that they don't have a win against an elite team. The comment that their losses aren't to world beaters is a little misleading in my opinion. Three of their losses were to teams rated highly in their respective regions (at the time). A lot of teams would have trouble on the road against Shelby (when at full strength), North Hardin and DeSales. Harlan was the one "bad" loss. I believe they were rated 4th or 5th in their region at the time but the 13th isn't that strong.

To be clear, I'm not saying Mercer is a top 20 team. I'm just saying that they are now 15-4 having played a "solid" schedule. And that they do have the pieces/talent.

I agree that they don't have a win against an elite team. The comment that their losses aren't to world beaters is a little misleading in my opinion. Three of their losses were to teams rated highly in their respective regions (at the time). A lot of teams would have trouble on the road against Shelby (when at full strength), North Hardin and DeSales. Harlan was the one "bad" loss. I believe they were rated 4th or 5th in their region at the time but the 13th isn't that strong.

To be clear, I'm not saying Mercer is a top 20 team. I'm just saying that they are now 15-4 having played a "solid" schedule. And that they do have the pieces/talent.

What would Boyle County, Lincoln County and Wayne County's records be against the same schedule? I say they'd all be undefeated.

I'd include Southwestern but at this point their losses are worse than any of Mercer County's losses.

Hard to disagree that Lincoln would be undefeated against that schedule but you never know. On the other hand, Wayne lost to Bullitt East who (at the time and I believe still) was not rated as highly as DeSales (same region). Boyle lost to Whitley who is weaker than all 3 of Mercer's losses I referenced above. And Whitley is on par with Mercer's "bad loss" as Whitley and Harlan are in the same region and are rated similarly.

Would Wayne or Boyle have lost 4 with that schedule? Probably not. Would they be undefeated.? Not likely.

Hard to disagree that Lincoln would be undefeated against that schedule but you never know. On the other hand, Wayne lost to Bullitt East who (at the time and I believe still) was not rated as highly as DeSales (same region). Boyle lost to Whitley who is weaker than all 3 of Mercer's losses I referenced above. And Whitley is on par with Mercer's "bad loss" as Whitley and Harlan are in the same region and are rated similarly.

Would Wayne or Boyle have lost 4 with that schedule? Probably not. Would they be undefeated.? Not likely.

Keep in mind that Boyle County has defeated the best team in that same region.

Boyle County and Wayne County would be undefeated with Mercer County's schedule. At the worst they would have one loss and that's it. What would Mercer County's record be if they played Boyle County, Lincoln County or Wayne County's schedule? Would Mercer County even be .500? I'm not saying they wouldn't be .500 but nobody knows because their schedule isn't of the same quality of any of the top 3 teams in the 12th Region.

I like this Mercer team. They could be a sleeper in the 12th region. I would say their best win was at West Jessamine. When they play Boyle, Lincoln, Southwestern on down in the season will show if they're contenders or pretenders.

Keep in mind that Boyle County has defeated the best team in that same region.

Boyle County and Wayne County would be undefeated with Mercer County's schedule. At the worst they would have one loss and that's it. What would Mercer County's record be if they played Boyle County, Lincoln County or Wayne County's schedule? Would Mercer County even be .500? I'm not saying they wouldn't be .500 but nobody knows because their schedule isn't of the same quality of any of the top 3 teams in the 12th Region.

Using power rankings as my basis, Mercer would be 11-6 vs Boyle's actual of 13-4 (excluding the out of state team as there's no basis for comparison). Mercer would not have beaten Bryan Station or Cov Cath. Again, per the rankings (as opposed to just simply my opinion).

Looking at Wayne's schedule, 3 of their 15 games have been against out of state teams. But they've played a tougher schedule. They are 8-4 in their games against Kentucky teams. Using the same method for Wayne's schedule, Mercer would be 6-6.

Looking at Lincoln's schedule, Mercer would be 10-7.

As was said, we will see if Mercer can beat any of the 12th region's elite. For the record, I'm not picking them to win any of those games. I haven't said they are top 4 this year. That's next year for them. Just saying they are flying under the radar. The comment that they would be sub-500 with Boyle's schedule demonstrates that point. They are clearly better than that.

Likewise for West Jessamine. Don't sleep on them either. Doing well with litte fanfare.

Edited by First

Using power rankings as my basis, Mercer would be 11-6 vs Boyle's actual of 13-4 (excluding the out of state team as there's no basis for comparison). Mercer would not have beaten Bryan Station or Cov Cath. Again, per the rankings (as opposed to just simply my opinion).

Looking at Wayne's schedule, 3 of their 15 games have been against out of state teams. But they've played a tougher schedule. They are 8-4 in their games against Kentucky teams. Using the same method for Wayne's schedule, Mercer would be 6-6.

Looking at Lincoln's schedule, Mercer would be 10-7.

As was said, we will see if Mercer can beat any of the 12th region's elite. For the record, I'm not picking them to win any of those games. I haven't said they are top 4 this year. That's next year for them. Just saying they are flying under the radar. The comment that they would be sub-500 with Boyle's schedule demonstrates that point. They are clearly better than that.

Likewise for West Jessamine. Don't sleep on them either. Doing well with litte fanfare.

IMO Mercer County isn't flying under the radar and I don't think anyone in the 12th considers them to be flying under the radar. We're just waiting to see just how good they are.

15 wins over very mediocre teams. Would like to see them play one of the top 4 teams in 12th or any really good out of region teams. Still have Boyle, Lincoln and SW on the schedule. Will be interesting to see how they fare in those games.

Their 11 total wins over mediocre teams from last year was much more of an accomplishment, right coach?

Haterade?