Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Cincinnati Double

Featured Replies

I found this term in a Grantland article by Mark Titus and found it to be pretty amusing. Here is how he defines it:

 

This is a term I made up for when Ohio State wins the football national championship and Kentucky wins the basketball national championship in the same season, since so many people from Cincinnati cherry-pick these two as their college sports teams. The only other time it happened was when the Buckeyes split the 1957 national title with Auburn before Kentucky won the 1958 NCAA tournament. While we’re on the topic, the Indianapolis Double is Indiana winning the basketball title the same year Notre Dame wins the football title, which has surprisingly never happened. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Double (USC football and UCLA basketball) has happened three times: 1967-68, 1972-73, and 1974-75.

 

Does it exist?

I found this term in a Grantland article by Mark Titus and found it to be pretty amusing. Here is how he defines it: This is a term I made up for when Ohio State wins the football national championship and Kentucky wins the basketball national championship in the same season' date=' since so many people from Cincinnati cherry-pick these two as their college sports teams. The only other time it happened was when the Buckeyes split the 1957 national title with Auburn before Kentucky won the 1958 NCAA tournament. While we’re on the topic, the Indianapolis Double is Indiana winning the basketball title the same year Notre Dame wins the football title, which has surprisingly never happened. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Double (USC football and UCLA basketball) has happened three times: 1967-68, 1972-73, and 1974-75. Does it exist?[/quote']

 

It exists here on BGP.

I don't know a single person that is an Ohio State football fan and a UK basketball fan. I think people just assume it happens since both fan bases are very large. Very small % if I had to venture a guess.

I don't know a single person that is an Ohio State football fan and a UK basketball fan. I think people just assume it happens since both fan bases are very large. Very small % if I had to venture a guess.

 

Paging LRCW.

Just off the top of my head I can think of a family of 5 and another of 2.

Are these people you guys are talking about from the Cincinnati area? That's what this is talking about.

I like all the teams with a 100 miles or so.

 

thCAH266JR.jpg

My impression from the numerous denizens of the Queen City I knew going to college in Ohio is that maybe 1 in 15 cared anything for Ohio State at all...

My impression from the numerous denizens of the Queen City I knew going to college in Ohio is that maybe 1 in 15 cared anything for Ohio State at all...

 

Pretty much, but let's not let that change the national narrative about it.

My impression from the numerous denizens of the Queen City I knew going to college in Ohio is that maybe 1 in 15 cared anything for Ohio State at all...

Only 41% of the TVs that were turned on Monday night in the Cincinnati DMA were tuned to the game. A number that even I, a non-tOSU guy, found shockingly low. Columbus' share was over 75% I believe, off the top of my head.

Only 41% of the TVs that were turned on Monday night in the Cincinnati DMA were tuned to the game. A number that even I, a non-tOSU guy, found shockingly low. Columbus' share was over 75% I believe, off the top of my head.

 

The folks I knew seemed to care fairly little for college sports in general. A few were UD fans just because that's where they were in school or who their parents cheered for (and UC seemed to have a decent little group), but the Bengals and Reds were the absolute priorities and all they really seemed to care about.

 

Not as bad as the Chicago folks, who only seemed mildly amused that any of us watched college sports at all, but along that same line.

Not as bad as the Chicago folks, who only seemed mildly amused that any of us watched college sports at all, but along that same line.

 

New Yorkers are the most pro sports-centric folks in America...it is crazy to me.

New Yorkers are the most pro sports-centric folks in America...it is crazy to me.

 

But I was led by the B1G to believe that New York was Rutgers Country...

New Yorkers are the most pro sports-centric folks in America...it is crazy to me.

 

I don't know. I think pro sports are infinitely better than the college product.

 

Outside of the NBA (which I still think is at worst equally as entertaining as the college version), there isn't a single college sport that isn't absolutely dwarfed by it's professional counterpart in both popularity and excitement/entertainment.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.