I was stopped by a police officer the other morning....

ACE

.....I had basically "ran that stop sign back there" at 4:30 in the morning with absolutely no traffic on the road. I kept my hands on the steering wheel, was respectful and polite. He returned the same respect. After a few other questions and comments he said be careful and don't do it again. I wonder how the officer would have handled it if I had been a bit disrespectful and gave him a hard time?

.....I had basically "ran that stop sign back there" at 4:30 in the morning with absolutely no traffic on the road. I kept my hands on the steering wheel, was respectful and polite. He returned the same respect. After a few other questions and comments he said be careful and don't do it again. I wonder how the officer would have handled it if I had been a bit disrespectful and gave him a hard time?

Did he know you? I'm sure you know a lot of them.

.....I had basically "ran that stop sign back there" at 4:30 in the morning with absolutely no traffic on the road. I kept my hands on the steering wheel' date=' was respectful and polite. He returned the same respect. After a few other questions and comments he said be careful and don't do it again. I wonder how the officer would have handled it if I had been a bit disrespectful and gave him a hard time?[/quote']

Were you in Bellefonte by any chance? It happened to me there once, as has several people I know.

In my case I was pulling on to route 5 at about 3am, I noticed the officer sitting in his usual location at the church across the street, so I obviously made a complete stop. He pulled out behind me and continued to ride 5 feet off my bumper all the way down rt. 5 until we were leaving Bellefonte, so he stopped me in front of Kingsbrook.

He asked for my license/registration/insurance, while I was getting that for him, I asked if I did something wrong. He said you ran a stopsign coming out of mt.savage. I said "oh, about a 2 miles back?" He walked off with my information, came back about 5 minutes later and asked where I was coming from and where I was going. I told him that he knew where I came from and that I was headed home, as he was blinding me with his maglight. He gave me back my license and such and said to be careful on your way home and walked off.

I didn't handle it well, but i was around 19 years old with long hair and grateful dead stickers on my jeep. Today I would be much more respectful of the officer, even if I knew I hadn't done anything wrong.

Close, mine was over the hill in Russell. Now I "try" to come to a 100% stop at my stop sign every time(hard thing to do), because I just know my guy will be lurking somewhere. Sometimes now 30-40 seconds after getting past that stop sign it dawns on me that I don't have a clue if I stopped "enough" or not. :wacky:

The youngest Tacster was coming home from his lady friends house after taking her home at 3:30AM the other night/morning after they had been at our house baking a cake (true story). He had my 4 door long bed pickup. Officer said he almost hit the curb a couple of times. Walked up to the window and recognized my son and asked him if he was tired. Boy said no. Officer recognized he had not been drinking nor was one of those "bad guys" Guru referenced. He sent him on his way and said 'tell your dad I said hello'. Saw the officer the next day. Asked him if was looking for a reason to pull a car over at 3:30 and he said no, just noticed he was cutting it too close to the curb. Said my son was very respectful and sent him on his way home.

I'm guessing if it is 5:00 PM and one is almost hitting the curb, no stop is made. 3:30 AM and almost hitting the curb and the lights come on.

Bad guys run stops signs late at night. These officers are doing their job. Ideally' date=' you stop them all and sort out the good peeps in a hurry from the scum you are sworn to protect everyone from.[/quote']

I understand, however I didn't run a stop sign in the incident I had lol. That said, now that I'm older, I have great respect for officers and would treat them with much more respect than I did this particular officer 10+ years ago.

My mom's car was in the shop about a couple of weeks later, she was using my jeep to make a grocery run and was stopped by the same officer. This isn't the place to go into details about what exactly transpired, but it put things into perspective as to what was going on. I will say Bellefonte fired the officer a short time after that.

I completely agree with what you said guru, my incident just happened to be an issue of someone looking for something that wasn't there, yet continued to look for a reason, however it backfired on him once he stopped my mother for something similar that didn't happen, while driving my car.

I understand, however I didn't run a stop sign in the incident I had lol. That said, now that I'm older, I have great respect for officers and would treat them with much more respect than I did this particular officer 10+ years ago.

My mom's car was in the shop about a couple of weeks later, she was using my jeep to make a grocery run and was stopped by the same officer. This isn't the place to go into details about what exactly transpired, but it put things into perspective as to what was going on. I will say Bellefonte fired the officer a short time after that.

I completely agree with what you said guru, my incident just happened to be an issue of someone looking for something that wasn't there, yet continued to look for a reason, however it backfired on him once he stopped my mother for something similar that didn't happen, while driving my car.

Without getting into it, it sounds as if the officer was taking a shortcut in your case because he thought he had a prize. :idunno:

Without getting into it, it sounds as if the officer was taking a shortcut in your case because he thought he had a prize. :idunno:

You are probably right, he was a bit reckless in riding my bumper though, in what I thought was an attempt to get me to break the speed limit, to justify the stop.. It just didn't sit right with me at the time. Today it wouldnt bother me one bit.

What I don't get is that he obviously knew I had done nothing wrong and was not under the influence of anything, yet two weeks later he gave it another try. Unfortunetly for him, my stepfather didnt like his wife being targeted.

You are probably right, he was a bit reckless in riding my bumper though, in what I thought was an attempt to get me to break the speed limit, to justify the stop.. It just didn't sit right with me at the time. Today it wouldnt bother me one bit.

What I don't get is that he obviously knew I had done nothing wrong and was not under the influence of anything, yet two weeks later he gave it another try. Unfortunetly for him, my stepfather didnt like his wife being targeted.

Even the worst of criminals are normally clean. He probably figured he caught you on a bad (meaning good) night the first time around. :sssh:

Bad guys run stops signs late at night. These officers are doing their job. Ideally, you stop them all and sort out the good peeps in a hurry from the scum you are sworn to protect everyone from.

My youngest who took a delivery job from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. around UK campus has had to learned the lesson of 'keep it clean after midnight'. He was trying to make up time on deliveries around 2 a.m. and of course got pulled over and ticketed. Oldest hand to learn this around 3 a.m. coming back from a midnight UK hockey game and could not understand why they cared about stop signs or speed limits at 3 a.m. with no one on the road....sigh....

Do they care so much about the rolling stop or a few (more) miles over the limit? Usually not. But they are looking for the DWIs obviously.