North Laurel & South Laurel spring scrimmages

I haven't heard anything about a South Laurel scrimmage but would love to see this one as well if they have one. Their numbers continue to grow and I am hearing they have a bunch of new kids out as well. It will ihteresting to see how South does in replacing their lost linemen as well as Zak Marcum and Cory Brown. They should continue their progress towards a district title in the near future. Irwin is doing a great job there as well! Finished #2 in the district and won a playoff game for the first time in a few years at South.

I am hearing that North Laurel will be having their 2nd annual blue/white scrimmage at the end of the school day the final day before spring break. A great idea. I am also hearing that they have more kids out right now then were on the team last season and that doesn't count incoming freshmen. Looks like the win over Madison Central really sparked more interest in the program. I remember when North only had 19 kids on the whole team around 1999. Now they are in the 50's just in the soph-jr-sr classes combined with another 25 possible frosh. Abbott will continue to build this program in his 2nd season.

Do both teams have 2 QB's for the scrimmages?

North has Tommy Lawson (sr to be) and Justin Jones (soph to be)

South has Ricky Bowling (soph to be) and some younger guys (I know they had another good frosh or soph QB who ran the frosh/jv team but I cannot remember his name) but that is only IF Jantzen O'Neill isn't playing this spring

I am sure that both teams have enough younger QB's and the spring is a good time to work on their development and see what their areas for growth are.

I haven't heard anything about a South Laurel scrimmage but would love to see this one as well if they have one. Their numbers continue to grow and I am hearing they have a bunch of new kids out as well. It will ihteresting to see how South does in replacing their lost linemen as well as Zak Marcum and Cory Brown. They should continue their progress towards a district title in the near future. Irwin is doing a great job there as well! Finished #2 in the district and won a playoff game for the first time in a few years at South.

I am hearing that North Laurel will be having their 2nd annual blue/white scrimmage at the end of the school day the final day before spring break. A great idea. I am also hearing that they have more kids out right now then were on the team last season and that doesn't count incoming freshmen. Looks like the win over Madison Central really sparked more interest in the program. I remember when North only had 19 kids on the whole team around 1999. Now they are in the 50's just in the soph-jr-sr classes combined with another 25 possible frosh. Abbott will continue to build this program in his 2nd season.

I stopped by North yesterday and saw a lot of new faces. The numbers seem up from last season, and Abbott seems very excited!

Was it South Laurel that started a Freshman QB??

Do they run the Tony Franklin system? How did their offense look?

South Laurel started Ricky Bowling, frosh, last season and runs the Tony Franklin system. I am not sure about their spring scrimmage this year.

North Laurel is a run dominated team with some option mixed in and very little passing. I heard the offense looked like you would expect in spring ball. The defense is always ahead of the offense as you haven't had really any time to develop the chemistry/timing necessary in just 2 weeks of practice.

Great to hear more kids are coming out to play football. That's great stuff and I hope the programs continue to have success.

I think they will. Both programs have coaches who really care about the kids and want what is in their best interest. They are strict disciplinarians, but I think the kids need that. They also both love the game of football and it shows in their dedication.

I didn't get a chance to see the North Blue/White scrimmage, but was told that Brandenburg was a manchild (no surprise). I understand that the defenses really dominated and that the only TD scored was by soph-to-be RB Steven White. I hate that I missed it.

It was actually 14-7, with Brandenburg scoring the winning TD for the Blue squad. One play stood out to me: Brandenburg runs off-tackle right picking up would-be tacklers with every step, seemingly. By the time SEVEN white defenders got him down, he had about a 15-yard run. He's a monster, and will make some big college program very happy.

It was actually 14-7, with Brandenburg scoring the winning TD for the Blue squad. One play stood out to me: Brandenburg runs off-tackle right picking up would-be tacklers with every step, seemingly. By the time SEVEN white defenders got him down, he had about a 15-yard run. He's a monster, and will make some big college program very happy.

I heard he was a manchild. When he learns to control his temper, he has all the potential to be a bigtime player.

• 2 weeks later...