November 18, 201411 yr The Marlins TV deal runs out either the year before or the year of his opt-out. I think that plays a part in it too. I still think it's a good contract. He will be well below value for the first three years which gives the Marlins flexibility to build around him. Then the next three years probably right at, if not slightly below value. With the way TV contracts and salaries are growing that back part won't look as bad. Stanton is protected with the no-trade and with the opt-out. Something nobody seems to pay attention to is that Stanton is much younger than the mega-contracts that are typically thrown out as comparisons. The only one I can think of that was near his age and dollars was Jeter at 27 and it turned out pretty dang good.
November 18, 201411 yr The VAST majority have been nightmares for the clubs though. Why the hell would he opt out of this deal?
November 19, 201411 yr Giancarlo Stanton's $325M with Miami Marlins heavily backloaded - ESPN According to a major league source who had seen the terms, Stanton's salaries over those first three seasons will be only $6.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017, far less than he could have earned through arbitration in 2015-16 and then via free agency. He would then earn $77 million over the next three seasons, and could opt out of the contract after 2020, following his age 30 season. So the Marlins would be on the hook for only $107 million of the deal over the first six seasons, which computes to an average annual value of just $17.83 million per season before Stanton would have the right to exercise the opt-out clause. If Stanton remains a Marlin, the $218 million he would collect over those final seven seasons would average out to $31.14 million a year. He will have a complete no-trade clause through the life of the contract, a first for the Marlins under the ownership of Jeffrey Loria. You make some good points. It is pretty friendly to the Marlins early on. I still say 13 years is way too long and I don't know why they had to go that long. The last 7 years of that deal will be a nightmare for them most likely. They better hope his skills don't diminish because if they do, he they will not be able to unload him because of the no-trade clause.
November 20, 201411 yr Giancarlo Stanton Celebrates His New Contract at FDR at Delano | World Red Eye :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa
November 21, 201411 yr You make some good points. It is pretty friendly to the Marlins early on. I still say 13 years is way too long and I don't know why they had to go that long. The last 7 years of that deal will be a nightmare for them most likely. They better hope his skills don't diminish because if they do' date=' he they will not be able to unload him because of the no-trade clause.[/quote'] Owner could bail and sell the team in 3 years also.
November 22, 201411 yr If I had to do it over, I think I would become a stud outfielder. That man just got PAID.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.