Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rules question

Featured Replies

My first post in the soccer forum, so be gentle.:)

 

Scenario. Team County scores a goal on Team City. 1-0. County players on the field rush over to the sidelines and start taunting the City fans. Ref runs over and throws a yellow card. Questions:

 

1. Who does the yellow card go to? The coach, the players on the field?

2. Can the yellow card go to either/or the coach/team?

3. If it CAN go to all the players on the field...do they ALL have to come off the field?

4. If it CAN go to all the players on the field...if one of those players later receives another yellow to make 2 yellows, would it be just like it normally would and combined be a red, thus ending their day?

 

This discussion came up this morning, have a buddy who's son plays high school soccer and this very scenario could/should have occurred in a game last night, according to him. A team taunted the opposing fans on the sideline after a goal, and he thought a yellow card should have been throw. But if it had been, he wasn't sure how it would count.

I think the caution would be issued to the coach in the case of misconduct that is not attributable to any one player. Seems unlikely you'd caution an entire team and I doubt that has happened but who knows. If it was one or two or just a few players, then I think you can caution all of them. Team misconduct I would think would result in a caution to the coach.

I didn't know taunting fans was card worthy.

  • Author
I didn't know taunting fans was card worthy.

 

Unsportsman like conduct? I can easily see a scenario where this could be a cause for a penalty in any sport. Now, I don't know soccer very well, but my buddy said a yellow card should have been thrown and that the touting was pretty over the top.

Not the same scenario but back when I played, our student section was guilty of taunting and our head coach received the yellow card. Then later the whole student section got ejected.

I think it's debatable and a judgment call really. It could be considered unsportsmanlike conduct but depends on the actual case. I've seen the CCH student section taunted by opposing soccer players a few times that I can recall. NCC player a couple years ago after he scored against CCH in the regional final.......I think he may have been cautioned but not sure. Highlands player last year after he scored in a regular season game made a point to come over and taunt the student section. Of course, three CCH goals later he was probably not so happy he did that.

 

As long as it's not over the top, a little bit of that is not a big deal in my opinion.

I didn't know taunting fans was card worthy.

 

Are you referring to players taunting fans or fans taunting players?

I think it's debatable and a judgment call really. It could be considered unsportsmanlike conduct but depends on the actual case. I've seen the CCH student section taunted by opposing soccer players a few times that I can recall. NCC player a couple years ago after he scored against CCH in the regional final.......I think he may have been cautioned but not sure. Highlands player last year after he scored in a regular season game made a point to come over and taunt the student section. Of course, three CCH goals later he was probably not so happy he did that.

 

As long as it's not over the top, a little bit of that is not a big deal in my opinion.

 

I think it adds a little fun to the game, I don't see much wrong with it. I guess you'd have to see how over the top it was. I'll take BigMans word for it that it was over the top. However, you don't want to give too many additional subjective decisions to the refs who sometime struggle with consistency as it is.

Similarly, I have seen the CCH student section at a soccer game chastised by the ref for distracting the opposing players or some such nonsense like that. Keep in mind there was nothing vulgar..........just normal CCH crazy stuff. Those who were there know who this ref was. He told them to keep quiet or something like that.

I think it adds a little fun to the game, I don't see much wrong with it. I guess you'd have to see how over the top it was. I'll take BigMans word for it that it was over the top. However, you don't want to give too many additional subjective decisions to the refs who sometime struggle with consistency as it is.

 

As long as it is clean, and in good taste, I also think it adds to the match. Saw quite a bit of this the past two nights and I think it actually made the experience more enjoyable.

 

I will also say that in last nights match one of the players turned to address the students a few times during the course of play... the ref actually had a short discussion with him. I think the ref did a good job of cautioning the player at the time, the students were not unruly by any means. I think the discussion went something like this...

 

Player... They are talking to me and saying my name.

Ref... Understood, you do not have to respond, I'll address it if it gets out of hand.

Player... Sounded like Smugly the cartoon character... I could not make it out.

Taunting of fans by a player can technically be a red in high school though I have never personally seen it. They made a point in our youth ref class to make that distinction.

some points of clarification:

-in soccer, "rules" are referred to as "laws" :facepalm:

 

-coaches/team personnel cannot be "carded". According to "Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct":

The yellow card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been cautioned.

The red card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been sent off.

Only a player, substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow card.

A player who commits a cautionable or sending-off offence, either on or off the field of play, whether directed towards an opponent, a team-mate, the referee, an assistant referee or any other person, is disciplined according to the nature of the offence committed.

 

-Under "Powers and Duties", the Referee "takes action against team officials who fail to conduct themselves in a responsible manner and may, at his discretion, expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds"

some points of clarification:

-in soccer, "rules" are referred to as "laws" :facepalm:

 

-coaches/team personnel cannot be "carded". According to "Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct":

The yellow card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been cautioned.

The red card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been sent off.

Only a player, substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow card.

A player who commits a cautionable or sending-off offence, either on or off the field of play, whether directed towards an opponent, a team-mate, the referee, an assistant referee or any other person, is disciplined according to the nature of the offence committed.

 

-Under "Powers and Duties", the Referee "takes action against team officials who fail to conduct themselves in a responsible manner and may, at his discretion, expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds"

 

And that actions usually involves a card. Trust me, I've been there.

And that actions usually involves a card. Trust me, I've been there.

 

that doesn't mean the referee was correct in his actions! Which then brings up a whole new conversation (competence of officials) .. seems we've come full circle!!!

some points of clarification:

-in soccer, "rules" are referred to as "laws" :facepalm:

 

-coaches/team personnel cannot be "carded". According to "Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct":

The yellow card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been cautioned.

The red card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been sent off.

Only a player, substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow card.

A player who commits a cautionable or sending-off offence, either on or off the field of play, whether directed towards an opponent, a team-mate, the referee, an assistant referee or any other person, is disciplined according to the nature of the offence committed.

 

-Under "Powers and Duties", the Referee "takes action against team officials who fail to conduct themselves in a responsible manner and may, at his discretion, expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds"

 

For high school you have to look at the NFHS where they are indeed called "rules" not LOTG and where coaches and bench personnel can, in fact, be carded... but otherwise you're spot on.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.