Mason Co./Montgomery Co. Predictions

Montgomery put a hurting on Mason earlier in the year.

Both won their first-round games easily.

Montgomery is king of the mountain until someone knocks them off;

much as it hurts to say, Montgomery gets my vote 72-64; if for no other reason than they have a deeper bench.

Hopefully, Mason boys Regional Championship will give the girls a boost. Mason sure does owe the Lady Indians one. Mason wins a close one 72-70. Maybe this time we hit the last shot. Lets go Girls!!!!!!!:banana: :banana:

Maybe this time if we're up by 3 with seconds to go, we'll foul instead of giving up a game-tying trey.

As much as I truly hate to second guess coaches, I have to completely agree with mcpapa. I watched that game last year and I automaticly thought that the best thing to do was to foul Montgomery and make them go to the line and make a decision if they were going to make the first and miss the second on purpose or make both and try for the steal. But the fact is, they could have missed their first FT and that would have been it. Fouling was a no-brainer but didn't happen. I am sure if Mason Co's coach had to do it all over again, she would choose something different. Who knows, she may get a second chance.

As much as I truly hate to second guess coaches, I have to completely agree with mcpapa. I watched that game last year and I automaticly thought that the best thing to do was to foul Montgomery and make them go to the line and make a decision if they were going to make the first and miss the second on purpose or make both and try for the steal. But the fact is, they could have missed their first FT and that would have been it. Fouling was a no-brainer but didn't happen. I am sure if Mason Co's coach had to do it all over again, she would choose something different. Who knows, she may get a second chance.

I saw the exact same scenario play out in the 2004 boy's state tourney. Trinity up 6 vs. Mason County with less than a minute to play; I think Casey Pfeffer hit a 3 to make it a 3-point contest; then after getting the ball back, EVERYONE in the arena knew that Chris Lofton was going to take the game-tying three if he wasn't fouled. He wasn't, Lofton hits the 3, game gets into OT and Mason eventually wins.

I'll take my chances fouling EVERY TIME, because there are so many things that have to happen for the game to be tied.

1. First free throw must be made

2. Second free throw must be missed while still drawing iron

3. Shooting team must get the rebound

4. Shooting team must then convert a field goal

or:

1. Make both free throws (usually a 50-50 proposition)

2. Steal the inbounds pass

3. Score

Chances of making a game-tying three are much better than all of these things happening.

I know for a fact they talked about fouling on the last shot. Montgomery had the ball out of bounds with about 16 seconds in the clock. Although I am also a firm believer in fouling at the last, I think it is best when there is less than 10 secs. on the clock. Foul early and Montgomery is a great FT shooting team, Mason still will have it hit on the other end. If Mason misses Montgomery still has time to go down and score. After Montgomery hit the shot, Mason still has time but should have taken a timeout immediately but let some precious time tick off and could not get a good shot.

Montgomery wins 55-49 or something like that. They are just so deep and talented, but Mason fought hard, and it was a good game. They just couldn't pull it off down the stretch. I think fatigue set in in some of the players that had rested little or none in the game.

Benches were the difference of this game. And rebounding it seemed like.