Spring Practice

dirk80

Just searching to see how important spring practice is to the upcoming season? Our practice may not happen and just wanted opinions, thanks.

I think the importance of spring practice depends on the coaches and the players. If they want to go through the motions and just make it glorified agilities and conditioning then it won't be any more important than everything else teams do all winter/spring. Some coaches look a lot into spring ball though in determining who is going to be in what position, and who can get the job done at certain spots.

I think the importance of spring practice depends on the coaches and the players. If they want to go through the motions and just make it glorified agilities and conditioning then it won't be any more important than everything else teams do all winter/spring. Some coaches look a lot into spring ball though in determining who is going to be in what position, and who can get the job done at certain spots.

I agree that the importance of spring football depends on the coach's emphasis. If your team has adequate numbers then you are looking at enjoying the benefits of TEN full practices. That is almost three weeks worth of full practices through the regular season if you have a full practice on Mondays during the season and upwards of 5 weeks of practice if you only really go full speed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays through the regular season.

Regardless, if your team has an organized winter program then, the coaches can see those gains made in winter ON THE FIELD. Depending on how your basketball teams fared in the regionals the you are looking at no less than 8 weeks of winter programs to take out on the field for spring football practice.

Most people know that significant gains can be made in 6-8 weeks of good, hard work in a weight room and conditioning.

I was told that North Laurel starts this Thursday with a Blue/White scrimmage to cap it off the day before the school goes on spring break.

South Laurel will not know a date until the state tourney is over. But I was told, already has dates in mind pending the outcome of the state tourney.

I was told that North Laurel starts this Thursday with a Blue/White scrimmage to cap it off the day before the school goes on spring break.

South Laurel will not know a date until the state tourney is over. But I was told, already has dates in mind pending the outcome of the state tourney.

I think South will have to start Monday after Sweet 16..they will have 15 school days to get in 10 practices.

I think it also depends on whether your football players (especially the skill players) play baseball or run track. The football coach cannot require a spring sport athlete to go to spring practice. If all of your QBs, WRs or RBs are on the baseball team or run track, that determines some of what can be accomplished during spring ball.

If your 15 day window runs into your spring break, then the coach has the option of starting the 15 day window on the 1st monday AFTER spring break.

So if the people who are in the Sweet 16, have a spring break the first week of April, then they have the option of having their 15 day window for 10 practices from April 10th-April 28th.

Just searching to see how important spring practice is to the upcoming season? Our practice may not happen and just wanted opinions, thanks.

I was just wondering why your team may not be able to have spring practice.

Spring Ball is a great time to focus on the fundamentals and drills that need to be focused on. It is a great opportunity for Linemen in particular and for young kids to demonstrate how much they have improved over the off season.

If your 15 day window runs into your spring break, then the coach has the option of starting the 15 day window on the 1st monday AFTER spring break.

So if the people who are in the Sweet 16, have a spring break the first week of April, then they have the option of having their 15 day window for 10 practices from April 10th-April 28th.

Do many do that?

From my experience (at Oldham County, where 3 different times our boys team made it to the Sweet 16), this isn't the case exactly.

We were told by the KHSAA every time that your window is three school weeks starting the Monday after your bball team gets knocked out, PERIOD.

That means that since the Sweet 16 would be over this weekend, if a school with a team in it has spring break coming up April 1, their 3 week window would start next Monday, they'd have the 2 weeks leading up to Spring Break, then they'd probably have to suspend practice for the week of Spring Break, then they could have their last week of spring practice the first week they're back from Spring Break.

It's a tough thing...you either have to cram all 10 days into those first 2 weeks (stinks if you get a really bad-weather day and maybe have to cancel for some reason) or be willing to have most of your practices the first 2 weeks, and then come back after spring break to finish up how ever many you have left. (We did it both ways while I was at Oldham.)

To be honest, unless you have enough quality players on both sides of the ball to really do a good simulated game-situation scrimmage amongst yourselves, it doesn't hurt to break it up. If you don't have that (and I'd think most teams wouldn't -- you've lost all your seniors from last year, your upcoming Frosh aren't allowed to suit up, and you've not got either all or some of your spring sport kids), I'd think your practices are more about individual or group drills rather than "team" situations like scrimmaging.