Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Misunderstood Song Lyrics

Featured Replies

In the "Songs You Haven't Heard in 20 Years" thread, LB13 posted the Donnie Iris tune "Ah Leah" that answered a long time puzzle for me about what he was saying in the song, which turned out to be "Ah Leah"... Go figure... right?

 

I'm curious to know any of your personal flubs in misunderstanding lyrics, or maybe even some you're still confused about.

 

We've all heard funny ones such as The Beatles' tune "Take a Typewriter" instead of "Paperback Writer" or CCR's "There's A Bathroom On The Right" instead of "There's a Bad Moon On The Rise".

 

So let's hear yours, and don't panic if you can't think of them all now, you're bound to little by little remember which ones you've had trouble with as time goes by.

 

I'll start with this one.

 

David Bowie - "Suffragette City"

 

Although it's the dang song title, I didn't know that, and every time I heard the song all I could decipher was that he was saying "Suck On Your....(A slang word meaning breast that starts with a 'T' - 2 syllables) - and the very last line being "Suck A ('T' - 1 syllable).

 

  • Replies 105
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the funniest thing you'll watch in a month of Sundays:

 

[video=youtube;xLd22ha_-VU]

In the Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever," John says slowly (near the end, I think) "Cranberry Sauce" which has been interpreted as "I buried Paul" - stirring the Paul is Dead case.

 

Not misinterpreted, but also in the Beatles hit "Hey Jude" you can hear Paul say 2 words quietly in the background. I cannot post the words here because of rules...

But at 2:57 (

)
In the Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever," John says slowly (near the end, I think) "Cranberry Sauce" which has been interpreted as "I buried Paul" - stirring the Paul is Dead case.

 

Not misinterpreted, but also in the Beatles hit "Hey Jude" you can hear Paul say 2 words quietly in the background. I cannot post the words here because of rules...

But at 2:57 (

)

 

After re-reading B ball fan's post I realize my post doesn't really fit in or apply here. Enjoy regardless.

  • Author
This is the funniest thing you'll watch in a month of Sundays:

 

[video=youtube;xLd22ha_-VU]

 

That's awesome!

 

I'm cracking up.

 

I have a real hard time ever making out just about anything Eddie Vedder says.

  • Author
After re-reading B ball fan's post I realize my post doesn't really fit in or apply here. Enjoy regardless.

 

It's all good... I'm cool with this thread flying in whatever way it does.

 

I listened to "Hey Jude" and can't exactly make it out, but I will keep trying.

  • Author

I have trouble understanding a lot of Bowie tunes.

 

Here's another "Fame"

 

Other than the word "Fame" just about 80% of the rest of the song puzzles the heck out of me.

 

  • Author

Jeremy Messersmith is a seriously talented singer/songwriter.

 

Here he's just having some fun.

 

For many years, I thought the B-52s were saying "loveshack betty" instead of baby. My wife heard me singing it one day and gave me that "What the hell is wrong with you" look and then corrected me.

  • Author

That's pretty funny.

 

You made me go listen and I can hear where you got that. Easily done.

There is one that in my mind is unforgivable. Many of you know Tom Petty is my all-time favorite singer/songwriter. On his album Long After Dark is a song called Between Two Worlds. As was the case in my previous post, for several years when Petty sang the line "between two worlds" I thought he was saying "changeable ones". I realize that makes no sense, but if you heard the song you might understand. The song is very nasal in nature. The reason the error is unforgivable is because the three words I misunderstood are the title of the song!!!!!:wacky:

  • Author
There is one that in my mind is unforgivable. Many of you know Tom Petty is my all-time favorite singer/songwriter. On his album Long After Dark is a song called Between Two Worlds. As was the case in my previous post, for several years when Petty sang the line "between two worlds" I thought he was saying "changeable ones". I realize that makes no sense, but if you heard the song you might understand. The song is very nasal in nature. The reason the error is unforgivable is because the three words I misunderstood are the title of the song!!!!!:wacky:

 

I checked it out and to be perfectly honest I had trouble understanding much of the entire song, but I paid special attention to the words that tripped you up. If you hadn't said what they were I'm not sure that I would have made sense of them either.

One more...... Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann

 

Until just minutes ago when I googled it, I never understood what he was saying when he sang "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night".

I checked it out and to be perfectly honest I had trouble understanding much of the entire song, but I paid special attention to the words that tripped you up. If you hadn't said what they were I'm not sure that I would have made sense of them either.

 

Lol......

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.