Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pizza Parlor's Church Discount Challenged by Atheist Group

Featured Replies

Unbelievable... If the suing atheists are upset about the discount they can go in to a church and grab a bulletin, its not like its a big secret document only for Christians! :ohbrother:

Sorry, but I think there is a decent case here. He IS essentially offering a discount based on religion. My religious beliefs have no church, so I don't have a bulletin to present to him.

 

Getslow, I think the UL example is a poor one, football fandom isn't protected in discrimination laws.

I'm a Christian. If a local pizza place wants to give a discount to atheists or any other group, and I choose to have an issue with it, I will take a highly sophisticated approach.

I will spend my dollars elsewhere.

Sorry, but I think there is a decent case here. He IS essentially offering a discount based on religion. My religious beliefs have no church, so I don't have a bulletin to present to him.

 

Getslow, I think the UL example is a poor one, football fandom isn't protected in discrimination laws.

 

What about Ladies Nights at bars then? Should men sue for discrimination in that situation?

Sorry, but I think there is a decent case here. He IS essentially offering a discount based on religion. My religious beliefs have no church, so I don't have a bulletin to present to him.

 

Getslow, I think the UL example is a poor one, football fandom isn't protected in discrimination laws.

 

I agree. It was a weak starting point, but the idea that this is so far beyond the realm of what equal protection and the open access laws around the country were designed to protect doesn't get us extremely far.

What about Ladies Nights at bars then? Should men sue for discrimination in that situation?

 

Bingo! Class action ready to file!

On a tangent, that's the major problem with our legal system. Even if you fight such a suit and win you are likely financially ruined anyway.

 

The law suit is preposterous.

 

Until a Judge slaps one side with the other side's court costs for filing a frivolous suit.

 

Even if it didn't happen, I'm sure there'd be a competent lawyer willing to take an easy case like that pro bono just for the publicity it'd bring them.

I agree. It was a weak starting point, but the idea that this is so far beyond the realm of what equal protection and the open access laws around the country were designed to protect doesn't get us extremely far.
And I'd say this is very close to what those laws were designed to protect. If I were to go to this pizza place my pizza WOULD be more expensive than yours and that is entirely because of our religious beliefs.,

Some conservative group will take up this fellow's cause. O'reilly or Hannity need to put their money where their mouth is!

And I'd say this is very close to what those laws were designed to protect. If I were to go to this pizza place my pizza WOULD be more expensive than yours and that is entirely because of our religious beliefs.,

 

I didn't go to mass this week, so I don't have a church bulletin and our pizza would be the same price, despite the boxes we'd respectively check on a census form. That's my concern. This is a coupon, not a measure of one's faith.

And I'd say this is very close to what those laws were designed to protect. If I were to go to this pizza place my pizza WOULD be more expensive than yours and that is entirely because of our religious beliefs.,
Would you not be fine with this, based on your libertarian beliefs?

 

IMO, regardless of how a judge would rule, individuals and businesses have a moral right to do business with whom they want and to charge whatever price the market will bear. Pizza is a commodity. If the cost is objectionable, then keep looking for a better deal.

 

It is unjust for government to dictate that citizens must provide goods and services to anybody and/or interfere with contracts between its citizens. The only exceptions should be for reasons such as product safety or fraud.

 

Of course "just" and "legal" are not synonyms under our government.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.