Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Interminable Will of Peter Edward Rose

Featured Replies

So far we've got:

 

Will to Win

Competitiveness

Hustle

Pride/Ego

 

I'll add that I think all those are a by-product of his work ethic.

 

Would "stubbornness" be a fair addition to the list; a relative of these traits?

 

I'll get to the gambling angle as well, but rest assured that's part of it. Feel free to include traits relating to that side of him (let's keep the jokes to a minimum — we're not covering any new ground here), as in how they made him a successful gambler — his suspension notwithstanding.

 

Don't think he was a successful gambler.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Don't think he was a successful gambler.

 

Was awful good at the ponies. I can't imagine he doesn't still play that and the games. It's too ingrained in him. And it ain't like we have access to his total winnings/losses. He got into a rough patch, which happens every once in a while when you wager on the games — especially the money he was playing. Just so happens those guys got rolled and turned Pete over to MLB. The league looked for a long time for somebody to sell out Pete before those guys fell in their laps.

  • Author
So far we've got:

 

Will to Win

Competitiveness

Hustle

Pride/Ego

 

I'll add that I think all those are a by-product of his work ethic.

 

Would "stubbornness" be a fair addition to the list; a relative of these traits?

 

I'll get to the gambling angle as well, but rest assured that's part of it. Feel free to include traits relating to that side of him (let's keep the jokes to a minimum — we're not covering any new ground here), as in how they made him a successful gambler — his suspension notwithstanding.

 

I'll add on AJG's statements regarding Rose's work ethic in learning new positions; playing wherever he was asked in the interest of helping the team win. Also his passion for the game, which could be fairly described as unparalleled.

 

Anybody else want to add anything?

 

I'm about ready for phase II of this little study …

I'll add on AJG's statements regarding Rose's work ethic in learning new positions; playing wherever he was asked in the interest of helping the team win. Also his passion for the game, which could be fairly described as unparalleled.

 

Anybody else want to add anything?

 

I'm about ready for phase II of this little study …

 

I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this...

  • Author
I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this...

 

No, it's gonna be worth it. Bear with me. I'm going somewhere with all of this.

He was an average player at best, but his hustle and competitiveness made him great.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

 

Not even the biggest Rose fan in the world, but get real.

  • Author
He was an average player at best, but his hustle and competitiveness made him great.

 

I think it's fair to say he was above average and those traits made him great. You don't jump rungs on the ladder.

  • Author
So far we've got:

 

Will to Win

Competitiveness

Hustle

Pride/Ego

Passion for the Game

Stubbornness

Work ethic

Willing modify/adapt his game to help team win

Gambler's instinct

Student of the game

 

 

I'll add that I think many of those are a by-product of his work ethic, and many of these are interrelated in other ways.

 

OK, keeping in mind these traits as characteristics of Peter Edward Rose the player, I think it would also be fair to say that he applied most, if not all, of those traits into how he operated as a manager and a gambler, right?

 

Gimme some feedback on how these aforementioned traits have been used by Pete to advance — and, also, sabotage his career.

  • Author
Pete also excels in fan repport, and making himself accessible to fans.

 

Reporters as well, really. This part of his personality comes into play heavily in phase III of this study.

Was awful good at the ponies. I can't imagine he doesn't still play that and the games. It's too ingrained in him. And it ain't like we have access to his total winnings/losses. He got into a rough patch, which happens every once in a while when you wager on the games — especially the money he was playing. Just so happens those guys got rolled and turned Pete over to MLB. The league looked for a long time for somebody to sell out Pete before those guys fell in their laps.

 

Not sure of your information but my sources, who certainly should know since they're in the industry, tell me that he was not very good at the ponies. He had some big hits but the numbers he was losing on a regular basis were staggering. I have no idea about sports betting, my guess is he did well on baseball but probably did average on other sports, which means he lost.

  • Author
Not sure of your information but my sources, who certainly should know since they're in the industry, tell me that he was not very good at the ponies. He had some big hits but the numbers he was losing on a regular basis were staggering. I have no idea about sports betting, my guess is he did well on baseball but probably did average on other sports, which means he lost.

 

Fair enough. It's irrelevant to my overall point beyond the fact that he is a gambler.

Reporters as well, really. This part of his personality comes into play heavily in phase III of this study.

 

There's 3 phases to this thing?!? Now, you've REALLY got me worried!! :lol2:

  • Author
There's 3 phases to this thing?!? Now, you've REALLY got me worried!! :lol2:

 

It's the "Big Reveal." :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.