Highlands 4 Cooper 3

I also wanted to praise the PA announcer at Highlands. That was the first Baseball game I attended at Highlands and the pa guy did a great job.

I have a pet peeve when you go to some schools and the pa guy thinks its his duty to be funny or at least think he's cute with the way they call a game and the visiting teams players, especially when a school has a student do it and he thinks he's cute by disrespecting the visitors team. The PA guy at this game was great. Wish more could be like him.

Kevin is a guy that doesn't have to try and pretend to be funny, the dude is just funny but does it in a very respectful way imo.

FWIW, he was considered the top choice to be Highlands PA announcer on Friday nites but things just didnt work out.

So for now, he is one of the "get back" guys for crowd control at DCM, which by the way he is awesome at that as well :thumb:

Didn't get to see this one, but from what I heard and what your saying that was the case for sure. No answers in the first 4 innings and ran themselves out of a few innings. I am surprised at 2 things for Cooper though....11 hits and Dunn hitting 89 this early in the year and htting spots. Wow!!!

Really a tale of 2 games. Cooper won the 1st 4 innings 1-0. As usual, that doesn't tell the story. Cooper's 1 could have easily been 3 or 4 but ran into some outs and left a ton. Birds 0 was a solid 0 without a threat. Dunn was powerful with both velocity and location. Jones did not have his best location and couldn't find the groove on his breaking ball - bounced several of them. That said, he was a bulldog to hold Cooper to 1 run over 4 innings when he didn't have his best stuff.

In the 2nd half, Birds jumped on the Cooper reliever for 4 runs in the 5th. Big hit by SR Vermeil to help his cause and a bigger hit by JR Ramey with the bases loaded -- line drive. JR Mills also did his job by putting a ball in play with 2 strikes and getting the lead run home. If this team is going to be successful, they are going to have to plate runners on 3rd with less than 2 out at a high %.

Defense was strong again. Super catch by SR Hergott in RF for an out in the last inning. IF made the plays that came their way. JR Whitford played 1 inning in the field as they bring him back slowly from injury. When he is able to play and be in the batting order, that will be a welcome stick. Caution is warranted to make sure he comes back and stays back. SR Allen has done a solid job at SS in his absence and will slide back over to 2B when he returns.

Lots of depth on this Birds' squad.

Good to see Hellbird and Clyde at the game. Also, lots of support from the students, parents and community on a day that was less than perfect, but better than forecasted.

Sounds like the birds are having a little trouble with hitting the higher velocity fastball early in the season but taking care of business on the opposition's relievers. Is this going to hurt the birds when teams start taking their starters farther into the game or do they adjust ?

Sounds like the birds are having a little trouble with hitting the higher velocity fastball early in the season but taking care of business on the opposition's relievers. Is this going to hurt the birds when teams start taking their starters farther into the game or do they adjust ?

It's March. I'd say adjustments are coming and rust will wear off.

Plus it was 89 MPH.