Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cooper 64 Scott 58 (OT)

Featured Replies

Good stuff by Coach Sullivan and his staff. Glad for the kid.

 

Parth is so much fun. Played football for 4 years, basketball and also ran track. I told him one day that I was going to go and watch one of his track meets and he said he is easy to spot, he would be the guy in last place lol

  • Replies 68
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great ending to a great game.

Sounds like the 1 in a 1000 chance on a deigned miss FT worked to perfection.

BTW for those saying a layup cant be made with .9 left, that is plenty of time.

 

I've seen a bunch of different descriptions of what actually happened. If it went directly to the shooter then yes. If it was tipped from one player to another, caught, and then released then that's a tough one for the mind to comprehend.

No way! This was a brilliant well executed play on the part of the Jags. Colin intentionally missed a free throw attempt and Phillip tipped it to the vacated spot on the low block. Sean slide down behind them from the third spot on the lane. He caught the tip and laid it in. Could not have been executed any better. Great coaching on Sully's part to have Colin shoot his free throw from the right side of the foul line giving him an easier angle to miss the shot. Great tip by Phillip and the lay in by Sean. I love it when coaches plays are ran to absolute perfection. Nice win Jags. Congrats!

 

T, fill in some details. You seem to have a detailed description here.

 

Obviously, Scott is on the low blocks for the Cooper FT.

 

I assume Phillip was in the 2nd spot. You said Sean was in the 3rd. That would normally be a Scott player.

 

Were Phillip and Sean on the same side or opposite sides?

  • Author

Scott (8-20) - Ohmer 3 2 9, Schneider 7 3 18, Wolff 1 1 3, Trame 2 0 6, Osborne 2 1 5, Jackson 1 0 2, Crim 7 1 15. Totals: 23 8 58.

 

Cooper (13-11) - Morgan 0 2 2, McNair-Turner 1 3 5, S. McNeil 4 2 11, Holland 6 2 15, Liechty 4 0 9, Randall 2 0 4, Z. McNeil 0 4 4, Hathorn 5 1 11, Hawkins 1 0 2, Patel 0 1 1. Totals: 23 15 64.

 

Halftime: C 22-20. 3-pointers: S 4 (Ohmer, Schneider, Trame 2); C 3 (S. McNeil, Holland, Liechty).

 

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20140221/SPT0302/302210171/Friday-s-prep-results

T, fill in some details. You seem to have a detailed description here.

 

Obviously, Scott is on the low blocks for the Cooper FT.

 

I assume Phillip was in the 2nd spot. You said Sean was in the 3rd. That would normally be a Scott player.

 

 

 

Were Phillip and Sean on the same side or opposite sides?

 

 

Glad to clear this up for everybody Clyde. Sean was actually standing on the perimeter when they lined up. He was on the same side of the free throw lane as the Scott player and Phillip. When Colin's free throw attempt hit the rim, Sean slide down behind Phillip and the Scott player to occupy the vacated low block position. Phillip tipped the ball to Sean and he tipped it in. All done legally and the ball never hit the floor nor did it hit the blackboard. Ball went directly to Sean and he converted the basket. I agree this action can be argued that it actually occurred in .9 seconds. However, the officials grouped together, discussed it and made the call that the basket counted. I have also seen the tape and while I understand the argument from the Scott faithful that the basket should not have counted I can honestly say this, I was at the game, the shot while very close and obviously right at the buzzer was the correct call. I'm sure I just made 50% of those attending or interested in this game bitter, however on the bright side I made 50% of them happy. Thus is life!

Thanks. Next question would be in regard to how high the ball went into the air after it hit the rim. Also, where was McNeil when the ball hit the rim?

Glad to clear this up for everybody Clyde. Sean was actually standing on the perimeter when they lined up. He was on the same side of the free throw lane as the Scott player and Phillip. When Colin's free throw attempt hit the rim, Sean slide down behind Phillip and the Scott player to occupy the vacated low block position. Phillip tipped the ball to Sean and he tipped it in. All done legally and the ball never hit the floor nor did it hit the blackboard. Ball went directly to Sean and he converted the basket. I agree this action can be argued that it actually occurred in .9 seconds. However, the officials grouped together, discussed it and made the call that the basket counted. I have also seen the tape and while I understand the argument from the Scott faithful that the basket should not have counted I can honestly say this, I was at the game, the shot while very close and obviously right at the buzzer was the correct call. I'm sure I just made 50% of those attending or interested in this game bitter, however on the bright side I made 50% of them happy. Thus is life!

 

Exactly how Sully drew it up ;)

Thanks. Next question would be in regard to how high the ball went into the air after it hit the rim. Also, where was McNeil when the ball hit the rim?

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the clock doesn't start until the ball is touched right? So it doesn't matter how high the ball went in the air. I remember waching a video on here of a HS game where a half court shot was made to win te game and it came off a miss FT where the player let the ball bounce off the floor before pickingit up cause the clock wouldn't start until touched.

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but the clock doesn't start until the ball is touched right? So it doesn't matter how high the ball went in the air. I remember waching a video on here of a HS game where a half court shot was made to win te game and it came off a miss FT where the player let the ball bounce off the floor before pickingit up cause the clock wouldn't start until touched.[/quote']

 

You are correct as to when the clock starts. I asked because of Sean starting from behind the arc and getting the ball near the rim.

Ball hit the rim and went high into the air. There was time for Sean to get there. Looking at the tape he did not break the free throw line before the ball hit the rim. Again, it was a bang bang type of play that while debatable, and I am sure it will be, I believe the basket was a good basket. And yes Hellbird, the clock would start on the initial tip by Phillip.

Ball was tipped somewhere in the middle of the lane. Tipped ball came off the glass to the left side where McNeil catches and shoots. It was not a tip in. This is exactly what happened. Big question is, can this happen in .9 seconds? Seems unlikely, but what a hard fought game. It will serve both teams well heading into district play.

Phillips tip did not hit the backboard. It was directed to the vacant spot Sean occupied.

The play occurred right in front of me and I agree with Big T, the ball never hit the glass. I have also been fortunate enough to see the video 3 times and again, it never hit the glass!!!

Ball was tipped somewhere in the middle of the lane. Tipped ball came off the glass to the left side where McNeil catches and shoots. It was not a tip in. This is exactly what happened. Big question is, can this happen in .9 seconds? Seems unlikely, but what a hard fought game. It will serve both teams well heading into district play.

Apparently it can because the tip according to eyewitnesses and video shows the tip going straight to S McNeil and from there the basket is made. So yes it deffinatly is very possible.

 

Maybe if the clock did run down it was just the HS sports gods making a make up call for the football game earlier in the year between these two schools lol.

This one play shows how hard it is to be an official.

 

The official under the basket has to watch the players in the low blocks and the two other players on the far lane.

 

The other two officials have to watch for the following on this one play:

 

When does the ball get touched.?

Did the shooter cross the FT line before the ball hit the rim?

Did any of the other players on the lane enter before the ball hits the rim?

Did any player (ie McNeil) behind the arc cross the arc (NOT the FT line) before ball hit the rim?

Did the clock start on time?

Did any foul occur during the play?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.