Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 73 Conner 54

Featured Replies

  • Author
Make their bigs foul you.

Would like to see a team try that sometime.

 

Now NCC fans---don't get all uptight on that comment. I'm also the one who says that McDonald has my POY vote! :lol2:

 

No more FedEx deliverers for you, they just might get lost like plantmanky's printer parts. :lol:

  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I don't know if I'd call it a "slap in the face". Conner has a nice team. NewCath MAY be a little tired as well. Winter Dance on Sunday with school Monday. Travel to Louisville Tuesday. Exams start tomorrow. That's a long week. And Conner just played Holmes to 1 point. Cut them some slack.

 

Minus the "skating rink" game, Newcath as never trailed at the end of the 1st quarter to NO ONE, including Trinity, Ballard, PRP (twice), Lafayette, Cordia (twice), Knott Co., etc......With all due respect to Conner, they don't compare to any of those teams so IMO, that's a slap in the face or at least a wake up call.

 

I

I don't know if I'd call it a "slap in the face". Conner has a nice team. NewCath MAY be a little tired as well. Winter Dance on Sunday with school Monday. Travel to Louisville Tuesday. Exams start tomorrow. That's a long week. And Conner just played Holmes to 1 point. Cut them some slack.

 

I get that, but almost every team in Kentucky is faced with this because of all the cancellations of games and tryng to get them in.

 

Don't know but my guess is that tomorrow being Friday, that several Conner players may have a AP exam, unit test, or essay due.

 

Shouldn't be an excuse or reason.

By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM

Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

The Newport Central Catholic Thoroughbreds basketball team has a ton of momentum entering the postseason.

The Thoroughbreds (26-3) concluded the regular season with a bang taking out the Conner Cougars, 73-54. NewCath has won 20 in a row.

The Thoroughbreds saw three players reach double-figures. Zack Pangallo and Jake Schulte scored 19 each and Tanner Moeves had 14.

Host NewCath earned the top seed in the 36th District Tournament and takes on either Dayton or Bellevue on Wednesday in the district semifinals. Game time is 6 p.m.

 

Fort Thomas Sports: Thoroughbreds thrash Cougars to conclude regular season

I have to say one thing that it tested last night, and impressed me, about was the man-2-man NCC ran with Conner. Conner is a quick team and not having the bigs inside like a lot of other teams we saw NCC guarding guys outside and having to run with smaller faster guys more than have done with other teams.

 

I would say with a sloppy 1st half from NCC and a very strong half for Conner it gave NCC a lot of problems. Smaller guys on the inside meant more balls were getting hit/stolen and Conner capitalized on that

 

It was a win, but not what a lot expected, including myself.

Conner does have a nice team. Glad to see Will Ruholt have a nice game tonight.

 

I think that was the best game Ruholt has played in his varsity career. Took it to the rim strong and knocked down some 3's. Most importantly, took care of the basketball.

As mentioned, was a close game throughout the first half. I think that was more due to Conner's assertiveness than any type of letdown or "trap" game. Ruholt and Lamblez were relentless taking the ball to the rim, despite a few shots being blocked. To me, it just looked like NCC eventually wore Conner down. Was paying close attention, but I don't think Conner played more than 7 players the whole game until it was out of reach. Tough to keep that energy level with minimal substitutions when you are running and pressing the whole game.

 

Conner can win the 33rd District (as can Ryle, Boone, or Cooper). If they play like they did against Holmes and the first half last night I'd consider them the favorite. We shall see.....

 

Incidentally, for those saying NCC was tired, it should be noted that that was Conner's 5th game in 10 days with 3 of those games vs Cov Cath, Holmes, and NCC.

  • Author
I think that was the best game Ruholt has played in his varsity career. Took it to the rim strong and knocked down some 3's. Most importantly, took care of the basketball.

 

Agree 100%, 1st time seeing this young man play, and was impressed. :ylsuper:

  • Author
As mentioned, was a close game throughout the first half. I think that was more due to Conner's assertiveness than any type of letdown or "trap" game. Ruholt and Lamblez were relentless taking the ball to the rim, despite a few shots being blocked. To me, it just looked like NCC eventually wore Conner down. Was paying close attention, but I don't think Conner played more than 7 players the whole game until it was out of reach. Tough to keep that energy level with minimal substitutions when you are running and pressing the whole game.

Conner can win the 33rd District (as can Ryle, Boone, or Cooper). If they play like they did against Holmes and the first half last night I'd consider them the favorite. We shall see.....

 

Incidentally, for those saying NCC was tired, it should be noted that that was Conner's 5th game in 10 days with 3 of those games vs Cov Cath, Holmes, and NCC.

 

THIS.....they were on a mission.

 

I think the halftime "butt-chewing" Coach Dawn gave his team, and the fact that they started hitting treys which opened up the inside for the "bigs" was a big difference.

 

NewCath only played 7 until the 1:05 mark of the 4th when it was "sub-city".

As mentioned, was a close game throughout the first half. I think that was more due to Conner's assertiveness than any type of letdown or "trap" game. Ruholt and Lamblez were relentless taking the ball to the rim, despite a few shots being blocked. To me, it just looked like NCC eventually wore Conner down. Was paying close attention, but I don't think Conner played more than 7 players the whole game until it was out of reach. Tough to keep that energy level with minimal substitutions when you are running and pressing the whole game.

 

Conner can win the 33rd District (as can Ryle, Boone, or Cooper). If they play like they did against Holmes and the first half last night I'd consider them the favorite. We shall see.....

 

Incidentally, for those saying NCC was tired, it should be noted that that was Conner's 5th game in 10 days with 3 of those games vs Cov Cath, Holmes, and NCC.

 

That definitely is a tough 10 days, NCC has played 3 games in 7 days with those being Holmes, Trinity and Conner. High school basketball is alot of work. :ohbrother:

THIS.....they were on a mission.

 

I think the halftime "butt-chewing" Coach Dawn gave his team, and the fact that they started hitting treys which opened up the inside for the "bigs" was a big difference.

 

NewCath only played 7 until the 1:05 mark of the 4th when it was "sub-city".

 

I'd agree, Coach Dawn wasn't happy, especially in the 1st half. I think the play that set him off was when Conner got a steal around mid-court and it was a 3 on 1 breakout. Ruholt missed the layup but the 2 Conner players continued to hustle down the floor and Way got an easy put-back. Dawn wasn't even watching the play, rather was watching to see which NCC players even crossed half court, which was only 1.

Shout out to my Cougars for busting their hump in an out-manned situation.

I'd agree, Coach Dawn wasn't happy, especially in the 1st half. I think the play that set him off was when Conner got a steal around mid-court and it was a 3 on 1 breakout. Ruholt missed the layup but the 2 Conner players continued to hustle down the floor and Way got an easy put-back. Dawn wasn't even watching the play, rather was watching to see which NCC players even crossed half court, which was only 1.

 

Yep, that would cause displeasure.

  • Author
I'd agree, Coach Dawn wasn't happy, especially in the 1st half. I think the play that set him off was when Conner got a steal around mid-court and it was a 3 on 1 breakout. Ruholt missed the layup but the 2 Conner players continued to hustle down the floor and Way got an easy put-back. Dawn wasn't even watching the play, rather was watching to see which NCC players even crossed half court, which was only 1.

 

Shot was blocked by Tanner Moeves who was THE ONLY NewCath player to bother to get back on "D", and he came from the other foul line........flat-out HUSTLE!!!

Shot was blocked by Tanner Moeves who was THE ONLY NewCath player to bother to get back on "D", and he came from the other foul line........flat-out HUSTLE!!!

 

Glad that I wasn't the only one that looked and wondered why no one else was down the floor to help Tanner out.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.