Republic Bank Holiday Classic (Boys) December 27th Day #2

REH5

Republic Bank Holiday Classic (Boys)

Lexington Catholic High School

Lexington, KY

December 27, 2013

Tournament Bracket Only

DuPont Manual 79 Bardstown 71 (OT) – Manual captured a 79-71 overtime victory over Bardstown. There were nine lead changes and 14 ties in this game. 6-3 Jr. Tyron Horton led Manual with 16 points and 11 rebounds. 6-4 Jr. Dwayne Sutton added 16 points and eight rebounds. 6-2 Jr. Chris West and 6-0 So. Nick Reed chipped in with 15 and 12 points respectively. 5-8 Sr. Tavon Johnson led Bardstown with 21 points. 6-7 Sr. Sevion Schooling added 15 points and 12 rebounds. 5-6 Jr. Keanu Young also scored 15 points.

Dixie Heights 56 Male 46 – 6-1 Sr. Peter Scott led Male with 16 points. 6-7 Jr. Will Parker added 10 points and nine rebounds. 6-3 Sr. Brandon Hatton led Dixie Heights with 35 points including five three point baskets and 16 of 18 free throws.

Newport Central Catholic 64 Cordia 63 (2 OT) – Newport Central Catholic captured a double overtime thriller over Cordia tonight. 6-7 Jr. Drew McDonald led the victors with 22 points, 16 rebounds, and three blocked shots. 6-8 Sr. Jake Schulte added 16 points and 10 rebounds. 6-6 So. Ben Weyer chipped in with 15 points. 6-2 Sr. AJ Tagaloa led Cordia with 21 points. 6-2 Sr. JJ Catchings added 15 points. 6-2 Sr. Christen Cunningham recorded 12 points and eight rebounds.

Pleasure Ridge Park 52 Bryan Station 45 – This game was tied seven times with 11 lead changes. 6-7 Sr. Lamontray Harris led PRP with 21 points and 17 rebounds. 6-4 Sr. Deandre Bradford led Bryan Station with 12 points and 6-1 Sr. Daquice Allen added 10 points.

Lafayette 86 Augusta 46 – Lafayette broke open the game with a 35-8 advantage in the second quarter. Lafayette scored 35 points off 19 Augusta turnovers. 6-9 Sr. Jackson Davis led Lafayette with 14 points and eight rebounds in 13:18 minutes. 5-11 So. Harrison Lane also scored 14 points. 5-11 Sr. Dequise Robinson and 6-0 Fr. Jake Duby chipped in with 13 and 11 points respectively. 6-2 Sr. Brent Bach led Augusta with 15 points.

Scott County 67 Hazard 47 – 6-2 Sr. Trent Gilbert led Scott County with 25 points including five three point baskets, five rebounds, and six assists. 6-1 Sr. Teddy Ware added 10 points. 6-2 Sr. Josh Hollan led Hazard with 16 points. 6-7 Sr. Chris Hudson added 14 points and 11 rebounds.

Edited by Randy Parker

Fun day of basketball.

NewCath/Cordia was easily the highlight of the day in terms of on-the-court action.

Trent Gilbert of Scott County is an outstanding shooter.

Brandon Hatton dominated the Dixie/Male game.

Hated to see Augusta lose in the manner they did, but it is what it is. Hard to learn anything substantial about Lafayette in such a lopsided affair, but they sure do seem really good to me.

So fun taking in the action courtside with PP92 & Joker. Couple of great guys & we had some good laughs all day long. And it's always a good say when you get to see Lawnboy too. He sure gets around. :lol2: And BigVMan was in the house. Very nice meeting him too. :thumb:

For the record, PP92 had 3 pieces of pizza, a bag of popcorn, & a burger.

#fatjason

1 piece of pizza, 1 tray of nachos, 1 popcorn, and 1 bag of M&M's here. Lex Cath's concessions were pretty quick and had a nice selection, and good/acceptable quality of offerings. $2 for a soda breaks you up though.

If I could pick a starting 5 from today, I'd like to see:

PG - Brent Bach, Augusta

SG - Trent Gilbert, Scott County

SF - Lamontray Harris, PRP

PF - Chris Hudson, Hazard

C - Jackson Davis, Lafayette

What a lineup. Toughest call was Chris Hudson over Drew McDonald. Honestly, that decision would mostly be based on the style you wanted to play than anything else, but with two small guards who can fill it up, I like Hudson's athleticism and strength over McDonald's touch.

Just finished uploading and posting some photos from tonight's games in the individual score threads (for those of you who are into that kind of thing).

Links:

PRP vs. Bryan Station:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/pleasure-ridge-park-268505-page2.html

Lafayette vs. Augusta:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/lafayette-86-augusta-268504-page2.html

Scott County vs. Hazard:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/scott-county-67-a-268525.html

Also, just wanted to throw out that I think Lexington Catholic has done a tremendous job hosting this tournament and putting out a quality product.

From the standpoint of the average spectator, I saw a lineup with the potential for 4 consecutive great games with 8 teams who each had something they brought to the table. For my $8 on the day pass (which, if I'm not mistaken, granted you a reentry), I definitely got my money's worth and can't think of many ways I could have invested the admission and got as much entertainment.

The incredible part about all of this is that I just went to the games starting with Newport Central Catholic vs. Cordia, and didn't even mention the fact that I could have caught some great games in the consolation bracket as well.

Also, just wanted to throw out that I think Lexington Catholic has done a tremendous job hosting this tournament and putting out a quality product.

From the standpoint of the average spectator, I saw a lineup with the potential for 4 consecutive great games with 8 teams who each had something they brought to the table. For my $8 on the day pass (which, if I'm not mistaken, granted you a reentry), I definitely got my money's worth and can't think of many ways I could have invested the admission and got as much entertainment.

The incredible part about all of this is that I just went to the games starting with Newport Central Catholic vs. Cordia, and didn't even mention the fact that I could have caught some great games in the consolation bracket as well.

They do put on a quality tourney. Danny Haney did a great job of establishing this.