Should baseball be in class system?

15thSportsFan

I just think this would be an interesting format. Probably single elim.
I like that very much and could be "Grand Champion" and the KHSAA would certainly benefit financially, which may be the stepping stone to getting something like what MBBF has proposed.

Very good ideas in this thread and I say, submit a proposal to the Board of Control.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played my my high school sports in Virginia. The district alignments with football, basketball, baseball, softball, ie.. everysport are all the same. I played in an AA district which dictated us traveling 2 hours for every district game in Roanoke. The only other schools that were local to us were single A schools which we did play but it meant nothing but bragging rights. I think that this would work much better with 4 classes having championships. This makes a more even playing field.

Should be done. You can break it down to so many numbers of school in each class. It needs to be done in each sport. That way the smaller schools have a chance to win there respective class. It's hard to compete with a school that has 1200 kids to choose from when yours has 400 to 600.

There is a lot of truth, in your two lines of post my friend....a lot of truth.

:thumb:

How can the KHSAA be so blind to not see that classification in baseball would only help it grow and become a bigger event than it already is.

You could still finish with 8 teams in Lexington. Let the State Champion and runner up advance to Lexington to play an overall Champ.

They could use EKU, WKU, Northern, U of L and I'm sure there are a couple other colleges that have some nice fields to use as individual class championships. The more you spread it out, the more fan base you could draw to Lexington, thus overtime, building baseball to be bigger than it is now.

How can the KHSAA be so blind to not see that classification in baseball would only help it grow and become a bigger event than it already is.

You could still finish with 8 teams in Lexington. Let the State Champion and runner up advance to Lexington to play an overall Champ.

They could use EKU, WKU, Northern, U of L and I'm sure there are a couple other colleges that have some nice fields to use as individual class championships. The more you spread it out, the more fan base you could draw to Lexington, thus overtime, building baseball to be bigger than it is now.

Not so sure it's being blind, as much as it's actually no one has probably approached the Board of Control, with a serious proposal or format to make it work. I do know it's been discussed and mentioned to several KHSAA directors but not to the point of submitting a proposal, with an outline and a plan. It would take an effort like that, plus lobbying all the A.D.'s and coaches, to get it going.

At the same time, what you are proposing was done for a long time, on rotating the championship game. In the 70's, it was at Shivley I believe for a long time and below are the locations it was held at from 1974 on.

1974-77 Morehead State University Allen Field

1978-79 Chatauqua Park, Owensboro

1980-81 Cornwell Field, Fort Knox

1982-83 Somerset High School

1983 Somerset High School

1984 Johnson Central HS, Paintsville

1985-86 Panther Park, Elizabethtown

1986 Panther Park, Elizabethtown

1987 Chatauqua Park, Owensboro

1988 Panther Park, Elizabethtown

1989-90 UK Shively Field, Lexington

1990 UK Shively Field, Lexington

1991-94 KY Wesleyan Panther Field, Owensboro

1995-96 Apollo High School, Owensboro

1996 Apollo High School, Owensboro

1997 Cardinal Stadium, Louisville

1998 Brooks Stadium, Paducah

1999-01 UK Cliff Hagan Stadium, Lexington

2002-05 Applebee’s Park, Lexington

If not classes, why not do it like softball? Let all 16 regional winners go to the state tourney? Double elimination. Winners keep playing at Applebee's where the championship would eventually be. Losers bracket could be played at UK. The team with the best pitching (deepest staff) would definitely have the advantage in this format. Teams do not get the attention they deserve by making it to the semi-states (which is equivalent to making it to the sweet 16 in basketball).

If not classes, why not do it like softball? Let all 16 regional winners go to the state tourney? Double elimination. Winners keep playing at Applebee's where the championship would eventually be. Losers bracket could be played at UK. The team with the best pitching (deepest staff) would definitely have the advantage in this format. Teams do not get the attention they deserve by making it to the semi-states (which is equivalent to making it to the sweet 16 in basketball).
I believe if 16 teams advanced to a double elimination tournament, than it would be a certain advantage to the larger schools in most years, as they would tend to have more numbers to choose from (size, grade and talent) in relation to Pitching, Hitting and Defense.

Double elimination tournaments, allow more days off for the winning Pitcher to recover, as each win would usually translate into days off. The losing team would be required to play with less days off.

I believe if 16 teams advanced to a double elimination tournament, than it would be a certain advantage to the larger schools in most years, as they would tend to have more numbers to choose from (size, grade and talent) in relation to Pitching, Hitting and Defense.

Double elimination tournaments, allow more days off for the winning Pitcher to recover, as each win would usually translate into days off. The losing team would be required to play with less days off.

I agree a double elimination would favor the larger school. I would like for all sixteen teams to advance to a single elim tournament.

The smaller schools would not have the pitching depth to come out of the losers bracket. The larger schools could have the depth. Good point Strike3.

I agree. Too much of an advantage for the bigger schools. Most of the smaller schools only have 1 or 2 quality pitchers. However, I am starting to get to the point that I think all sports should go to a class system.