Caldwell County 48 Mayfield 41

MHSCardinal

Great game. Congrats to the Tigers on the win. It was a treat to watch Caldwell's QB. He is a stud and I hope to watch him on Saturdays. Mayfield played a good game and fought back each time they went down. Glad I got to see this one. Hope to see Caldwell bringing home the Championship to western Kentucky.

I think the biggest difference in the game was Caldwell Co's secondary outplayed Mayfield's secondary. I thought Mayfield's defense played great against the run, but, gave up 4-5 big runs that'd break there backs. Just couldn't get enough stops. It seemed like either Caldwell would get 1 or 2 yards or even lose a yard or 2 or they'd break a huge run. No in between. But, Mayfield's got to learn to wrap up better. Too many times we had them dead to rights and just didn't wrap up and they'd get big gains, plus, Sindelar was very accurate all night and made a lot of big 3rd down conversions, many of those 3rd and a lot. He's very elusive. I was impressed with Mayfields running game, especially that 98 yard drive when they needed to get some momentum back. They answered the bell time and again when they got down, but, had a stretch of 3 series late in the 2nd qtr and the 1st series of the 3rd that they seemed out of sync. Other than that, they looked good. But, against a team like that, you can't afford any bad series and need to come away with points on every possession or at least most of them.

Congratulations to the Tigers...it takes a good team to hand the Cardinals a loss. I did not think that the Tigers would find success with the run and that was what broke our backs. The QB is awsome as it that real tall reciever, Pepper I believe it is. Good luck the rest of the way, I will be pulling for the Tigers to get that AA title

This game was all that it had been hyped up to be all season long. The crowd was huge and loud, both teams left it all on the field, and the sportsmanship was fantastic! I got to my seat as soon as they opened the gates and I have never felt the buzz going through the crowd like it was tonight. The announced attendance was around 5,500, and boy, did we get a show! Mayfield came out throwing the ball when the run wasn't working, but were held to a short field goal on their first drive. This gave Caldwell County a lot of confidence, and they would need it. Mayfield's defense would not let the Tigers run the ball early on, but Sindelar was hitting his receivers, especially Eli Pepper. The game went back and forth all night, until the passing games of both teams opened up the run. At that point, it was all up to who made the first mistake. Mayfield's Mills ran hard until he got hurt for a bit, then their freshman RB came in and absolutely LIT UP my Tigers. Tragen Bright will be a BEAST in the not too distant future for the Cardinals, but tonight the running star was Caldwell County junior running back, Jaylen Boyd. He ran the ball 14 times for 230 yards and 3 touchdowns. The touchdown runs were 45, 60, and 61 yards.

In the end, the thing that stood out most to me was the class that everybody showed all afternoon and evening. I talked to several, and I mean several, Mayfield supporters, and all of them were really cool and wished us the best of luck throughout the playoffs, and wanted what we all wanted, and that was a hard-fought, but injury-free battle tonight. I will be rooting for Mayfield to win the Class A State Championship for sure!

TEAM STATISTICS

Mayfield — First downs: 21.

Rushing attempts-yards: 41-298.

Passing-yards: 13-29-207.

Total yards: 505.

Penalties-yards:7-60.

Fumbles-lost: 2-2.

Caldwell County — First downs: 21.

Rushing attempts-yards: 25-256.

Passing yards:18-28-288.

Total yards: 544.

Penalties-yards: 6-48.

Fumbles-lost: 0-0.

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Rushing — Mayfield: Stuart Mills 18-116,

Jake Guhy 1-(-9), Johnny Hernande2-9,

Trajon Bright 17-160, Alfred Capuano 2-7,

Deion Jackson 2-15.

Caldwell County:Jaylen Boyd 14-229, Elijah Sindelar 9-68,

DeMetreus Cain 3-5,

Passing — Mayfield: Jake Guhy 7-17-106, 1 INT.

Caldwell County: Elijah Sindelar 18-28-288, 3 INT.

Receiving — Mayfield: Deion Jackson 4-48,

Lane Kennemore 5-32, Dylan Reed 2-14,

Trajon Bright 1-16, Latayo Crumble 1-47.

Caldwell County: DeMetreus Cain 3-54,

Jordan Young 1-4, Eli Pepper 7-157,

Elijah Anderson 4-36, Jaylen Boyd 1-18.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41546[/ATTACH]

The home crowd from last night's game. 5300+

Strangely enough it was only the 4TH largest crowd for Mayfield this season as McCracken Co ( the largest) followed by Graves and PT, most years those crowds would not have been as large but it was McCracken County looking for its first win in history, the 100TH Mayfield PT game and both were highly ranked and Graves was undefeated and felt they had the team to win this years game for the first time in years.

The one thing about the Caldwell crowd that stood out as amazing to me was that they arrived hours before kickoff. We arrived at 5:30 and their stands were already half or better full and that was a testiment to their support for this years team. The community is like a bunch of kids at Christmas

Strangely enough it was only the 4TH largest crowd for Mayfield this season as McCracken Co ( the largest) followed by Graves and PT, most years those crowds would not have been as large but it was McCracken County looking for its first win in history, the 100TH Mayfield PT game and both were highly ranked and Graves was undefeated and felt they had the team to win this years game for the first time in years.

The one thing about the Caldwell crowd that stood out as amazing to me was that they arrived hours before kickoff. We arrived at 5:30 and their stands were already half or better full and that was a testiment to their support for this years team. The community is like a bunch of kids at Christmas

They had a great student section also.