Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Proposal restricts financial sources

Featured Replies

So schools shouldn't strive to be the best they can be in academics or athletics, they should all just mire thenselves in being average and not try to push the envelope?

 

Well, if open enrollment were to happen in McCracken county, one or two schools would become the best in everything and the rest would suffer, that doens't make sense. Then you have all the kids wanting to go to those schools and then you have the econmomics of getting all those kids to those schools and then those particular areas of the county suffer.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yet, in Louisville, the JCPS has become nationally recognized for their system.

 

The thing is, there is one thing that private schools, specifically religiously affiliated schools, can offer that no public school can offer. The biggest, of course, is a religious focus in education.

 

A sense of "Community" is not restricted to the scenario that children in a certain area attend a certain school. At Trinity, there's a widely disparate range of residential occupation. The sense of "Community" comes from a group of people who are all in agreement of, and working toward, excellence for their institution.

 

The school is not the bodies of it's students, it's the spirit of their families.

 

Sorry, that's not "Community", that's "Corporate". Kind of like comparing Wal-Mart to the local hardware store.

Well, if open enrollment were to happen in McCracken county, one or two schools would become the best in everything and the rest would suffer, that doens't make sense. Then you have all the kids wanting to go to those schools and then you have the econmomics of getting all those kids to those schools and then those particular areas of the county suffer.

Argument against your post is work harder to get better.

 

But that argument is not realistic. My 5'9" center no matter how hard they work will ALWAYS have a disadvantage against the 6'4" centers. My point guard that is 2 steps slower will ALWAYS be two steps slower. Might be a great ball handler but if you are slower, you are slower.

Sorry, that's not "Community", that's "Corporate". Kind of like comparing Wal-Mart to the local hardware store.

 

 

I don't understand.... :confused:

Sorry, that's not "Community", that's "Corporate". Kind of like comparing Wal-Mart to the local hardware store.

Could not disagree with you more.

 

My church draws from mutiple counties and we consider ourselves a family whether we are from the same geographical community or not.

 

That also gives my church advantages over churches that only draw from one geographical community. We have more talents and resources to draw from in my church than the previous church I attended.

Could not disagree with you more.

 

My church draws from mutiple counties and we consider ourselves a family whether we are from the same geographical community or not.

 

That also gives my church advantages over churches that only draw from one geographical community. We have more talents and resources to draw from in my church than the previous church I attended.

 

Lol, you are comparing church to high school athletics? Nobody governs all churches.

He's not comparing his church to High School athletics. He's showing that "Community" is not strictly a geographic term.

Lol, you are comparing church to high school athletics? Nobody governs all churches.

 

 

But I still don't understand how my description of Trinity's community is corporate in it's scope... I seriously don't understand... :confused:

I don't understand.... :confused:

 

Ok, Wal-Mart is very big, and the hardware store is very small. Wal-Mart always wins because they have the buying power and thus can attract more people to their store because they offer cheaper prices. If you create a situation where you are pooling all your resources into a couple of schools, you are in effect doing the same thing and destroying the other communities involved. I say do what McCracken is doing and work to make all the communities better.

Ok, Wal-Mart is very big, and the hardware store is very small. Wal-Mart always wins because they have the buying power and thus can attract more people to their store because they offer cheaper prices. If you create a situation where you are pooling all your resources into a couple of schools, you are in effect doing the same thing and destroying the other communities involved. I say do what McCracken is doing and work to make all the communities better.

 

 

But, on the flip side, we DON'T offer "cheaper prices". The price is high, both in terms of real dollars and in the amount of time and effort required to attend Trinity. The difference in a school like Trinity and a public school is that the families have chosen their school, and all are there because of one underlying reason: They believe in what the school's mission and goals should be, and are willing to make it happen. What you describe for McCracken Co schools is a group of kids who attend a school because the government told them that's where they had to go.

But I still don't understand how my description of Trinity's community is corporate in it's scope... I seriously don't understand... :confused:

 

Well, in my eyes, a community is like the small town of Mayfield, which is probably about the same size as St. Matthews, I have lived in both places so I think that is probably about right. Mayfield has just about 90% of their kids living in the city limits. I am not sure about Trinity, but I would doubt that 50% of those kids live in St. Matthews. If you take kids from all over the place, even counties away, it is more of a corporate thing, where you are pooling resources.

Well, in my eyes, a community is like the small town of Mayfield, which is probably about the same size as St. Matthews, I have lived in both places so I think that is probably about right. Mayfield has just about 90% of their kids living in the city limits. I am not sure about Trinity, but I would doubt that 50% of those kids live in St. Matthews. If you take kids from all over the place, even counties away, it is more of a corporate thing, where you are pooling resources.

 

 

Maybe this is where we're not connecting:

 

A Community can be defined as a geographic location and the residents therein.

 

A sense of community is not dependent upon geographics, but in philosophies and a common bond.

 

A Community can exist without a sense of community. I'm not sure I'd want to live there, though! :lol:

He's not comparing his church to High School athletics. He's showing that "Community" is not strictly a geographic term.

Thank you.

 

When HS athletics started over 70 years ago, I would agree with the assertion of communities. That has changed now with the emergence of private schools and the definition of communities is different.

Maybe this is where we're not connecting:

 

A Community can be defined as a geographic location and the residents therein.

 

A sense of community is not dependent upon geographics, but in philosophies and a common bond.

 

A Community can exist without a sense of community. I'm not sure I'd want to live there, though! :lol:

Sounds like the inner city issues that we see on the newscasts.

Maybe this is where we're not connecting:

 

A Community can be defined as a geographic location and the residents therein.

 

A sense of community is not dependent upon geographics, but in philosophies and a common bond.

 

A Community can exist without a sense of community. I'm not sure I'd want to live there, though! :lol:

 

Yeah, I agree with you. But the people of McCracken voted to keep it the way it was because they like their communities, they didn't want to lose that "common bond".

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.