Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals, James Harrison meet

Featured Replies

You're mistaken. He's still a stud if he's healthy in a 3-4.

 

He's never going to be healthy. That's what happens when you get old and washed up. You can't stay on the field.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's never going to be healthy. That's what happens when you get old and washed up. You can't stay on the field.

The Steelers and Harrison made a mistake by not having surgery in the offseason on his knee. Doctors gave him the option of taking time off and letting it heal. Big mistake. Took him 2/3 of the season to get back to full speed. And at that point, he was the best defensive player on the roster.

The Bengals have nobody with experience starting at strong side.

 

Shows how many of you pay attention the to Bengals defense. In passing downs the Bengals use 3 down linemen. Harrison would rush from the out side and be a perfect fit.

 

Shows me how much you pay attention. The only time you really see them go 3 down lineman is maybe on 3rd and 15 or more. Any other time than that, even in passing situations they use a 4 man line. Usually sliding Geather down to DT with Geno, and having Dunlap and Johnson at ends to rush. Their Sam backer which would be the position Harrison would be, only played a third of the defensive snaps last year and I would bet you during most of those third of snaps the SAM backer to it wasn't to rush the passer. Not to mention they have a guy in Dontay Moch who they like for that spot in rushing the passer.

 

Maybe you might want to pay more attention to what they do on defense before you claim other people don't. If the Bengals were a 3/4 defense I would have loved to brought him in, but in the Bengals 4/3 he would not fit what they do. I understand you wanting them to have experience at the backer spot, and so do I. However Karlos Dansby would fit this defense much better than him, not to mention Dansby's defensive coordinator came from the Bengals and played a similar style.

 

To many people around this area see a guy with a name and want them, and Harrison is a big name but not one who fits what the Bengals do.

You're mistaken. He's still a stud if he's healthy in a 3-4.

 

I don't think he would be a stud, but he would still be a very good player in the 3-4 defense still. Which is why I don't think the Bengals should try with him, in a 4-3 I can't see him doing well at all.

Shows me how much you pay attention. The only time you really see them go 3 down lineman is maybe on 3rd and 15 or more. Any other time than that, even in passing situations they use a 4 man line. Usually sliding Geather down to DT with Geno, and having Dunlap and Johnson at ends to rush. Their Sam backer which would be the position Harrison would be, only played a third of the defensive snaps last year and I would bet you during most of those third of snaps the SAM backer to it wasn't to rush the passer. Not to mention they have a guy in Dontay Moch who they like for that spot in rushing the passer.

 

Maybe you might want to pay more attention to what they do on defense before you claim other people don't. If the Bengals were a 3/4 defense I would have loved to brought him in, but in the Bengals 4/3 he would not fit what they do. I understand you wanting them to have experience at the backer spot, and so do I. However Karlos Dansby would fit this defense much better than him, not to mention Dansby's defensive coordinator came from the Bengals and played a similar style.

 

To many people around this area see a guy with a name and want them, and Harrison is a big name but not one who fits what the Bengals do.

 

Watch a replay of any Bengals game when it is a passing down they usually only rush. Atkins, Dunlap and Johnson. Geathers didn't do much of anything last year. Harrison would play strong side in the base 4-3. Then on passing downs he would be a pass rusher. I would say over 80 percent of the 3rd downs they used 3 down linemen.

Watch a replay of any Bengals game when it is a passing down they usually only rush. Atkins, Dunlap and Johnson. Geathers didn't do much of anything last year. Harrison would play strong side in the base 4-3. Then on passing downs he would be a pass rusher. I would say over 80 percent of the 3rd downs they used 3 down linemen.

 

I am willing to say you are 80% wrong. Unless it was 3rd and very long like 15 or more they were rushing 4. Yes Geathers didn't do to much when it came to stats, but they moved him down to DT on passing downs and had him and Geno rushing from the inside and Dunlap and Johnson on the outside. The Bengals didn't blitz much because they would rush 4. Your little theory would make it count as an actual blitz, and the Bengals themselves even talked about how even on passing downs they didn't have to blitz because of the front 4 being able to get a rush and how they were able to drop 7 back in coverage.

Shows me how much you pay attention. The only time you really see them go 3 down lineman is maybe on 3rd and 15 or more. Any other time than that, even in passing situations they use a 4 man line. Usually sliding Geather down to DT with Geno, and having Dunlap and Johnson at ends to rush. Their Sam backer which would be the position Harrison would be, only played a third of the defensive snaps last year and I would bet you during most of those third of snaps the SAM backer to it wasn't to rush the passer. Not to mention they have a guy in Dontay Moch who they like for that spot in rushing the passer.

 

Maybe you might want to pay more attention to what they do on defense before you claim other people don't. If the Bengals were a 3/4 defense I would have loved to brought him in, but in the Bengals 4/3 he would not fit what they do. I understand you wanting them to have experience at the backer spot, and so do I. However Karlos Dansby would fit this defense much better than him, not to mention Dansby's defensive coordinator came from the Bengals and played a similar style.

 

To many people around this area see a guy with a name and want them, and Harrison is a big name but not one who fits what the Bengals do.

 

Moch hasn't even touched the field.

Moch hasn't even touched the field.

 

Migraines is the only reason he hasn't. It has not been because they didn't think he can play, if healthy they have even talked about how they want to use him because of his pass rushing skills.

 

The Bengals are passing situations would go with three corners Adam Jones and Newman on the outside receivers, and Nelson and by the end of the year Crocker as the safeties. Vontez and Rey were the only two linebackers on the field for passing downs, no Sam backer. They were used to drop back in zone or cover the TE or RB out of the backfield. Then they would rush the four guys I have talked about. That is what they would do on the majority of passing downs. Very rarely did they use a 3 man rush, and I doubt very rarely would they want to start using a 3 man rush since they have gone about trying to keep their whole defensive lineman rotation intact. Unless it was 3rd and 15 or longer, they were not really using a 3 man rush. Which is why Harrison is not a good fit.

I really have no idea where you came up with this whole the Bengals use the 3 man rush a lot on passing downs. I know you probably want them to sign James Harrison, but don't say the Bengals did things that they didn't do just to help your case for why they should sign him. I won't lie even though I was confident I was right, you did make me at least go to the Bengals website and watch the defensive highlights from different games last year. I didn't even see one time when the Bengals used only 3 down lineman and that included passing downs and when they did their prevent defense. They are a pure straight up 4-3 defense and uses 4 defensive lineman even on passing downs. Not sure where you came up with the 3 man rush thing.

I really have no idea where you came up with this whole the Bengals use the 3 man rush a lot on passing downs. I know you probably want them to sign James Harrison, but don't say the Bengals did things that they didn't do just to help your case for why they should sign him. I won't lie even though I was confident I was right, you did make me at least go to the Bengals website and watch the defensive highlights from different games last year. I didn't even see one time when the Bengals used only 3 down lineman and that included passing downs and when they did their prevent defense. They are a pure straight up 4-3 defense and uses 4 defensive lineman even on passing downs. Not sure where you came up with the 3 man rush thing.

 

 

I have seen plenty of games where they use a 3 man front.

I have seen plenty of games where they use a 3 man front.

 

Show me please? Show me stats of how much they rush with three? I can tell you where you can go to find what I am talking about, just go to bengals.com and watch the video's of different games last year. Or if you would like I could go ahead and provide links of many different examples of passing downs, 3rd downs, etc. where they are doing exactly what I said. I can easily be convinced your right if you can please show me more than one or two plays that they do. I mean if they do it 80% of the time on 3rd down as you claim then it should be easy to find. However the fact is they probably do it less than 5% of the time on 3rd down so it probably will be hard for you to find much proof to back you up that they do it a lot. Good luck.

 

I guess to be safe I should say find it from last year. I am sure you can go back and find plenty of 3 man rushes they used over the last 30 years haha.

I have seen plenty of games where they use a 3 man front.

 

I am still trying to figure out what team you were watching that you say they used the 3 man front a lot. Here is the breakdown of every single play they had last year. Remember for the situation you are talking about with the 3 man line they would either need 6 defensive backs or have the Sam linebacker on the field. Read this article and see how little the Sam played, especially in passing situations. Then also notice how many times they used 6 defensive backs for the WHOLE SEASON. The Bengals were in a Nickel defense for about 50% of the time last year, but that consisted of 4 down lineman, 2 linebackers Rey and Vontez, and 5 defensive backs. Then the rest of the majority of the time they were in their base 4/3. So not sure how you have came up with how people don't watch the defense like you do, when apparently you didn't watch what the defense did if you thought they used the 3 man front a lot.

 

 

 

Bengals Defense Played Over 50 Percent Of Snaps Out Of Nickel Package In 2012 - Cincy Jungle

I will say this airraid after getting to thinking about it for a couple of days now. I don't think it would be as horrible of an idea as I first said for the Bengals to bring him in. I think he would do alright, but not great and definitely not as good as he would do in a defense that really does use a 3 man front.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.