March 3, 201313 yr She can't get a job at Walmart? Why not? Once again, I don't know. I'm not her. Neither are you. I just don't think all these people are useless leeches. Could she be? Sure.
March 3, 201313 yr I don't think it's as simple as categorizing people as hard working or lazy. Why is it theft? I just don't think it's that simple. How do you know she didn't learn a trade? You don't know every person's situation and I just think it's arrogant and simple minded to just yell "BUM GET A JOB!" To have a child with sole intention of getting govt handouts that is what I call theft. I don't care about sounding mean. I'm being honest something we lack as a country. If she did learn a trade why would she need a child to get govt assistance? Your logic is lacking. We make it to easy for people to live off welfare from generation to generation. I find that problem to be the core of this country's ever decreasing sense of personal responsibility. Why would someone's parent's first idea to her child be to have a child so she can live off the govt. instead of finding a job to support herself? I find it a disgusting thought and bad parenting. There is no excuse you can make to justify this thought process. Edited March 3, 201313 yr by True blue (and gold)
March 3, 201313 yr Because she can't afford it. Because she isn't able to get a job that offers healthcare. I mean people are in these situations. Instead of investing on programs that can remove them from the situation, we put money into caring for them while they're in the situation. I fault the programs, not the people. Why can't we fault both? I couldn't afford college either, so I got loans that I'm currently repaying. Why couldn't she do that instead of having a kid just to get more money?
March 3, 201313 yr Once again, I don't know. I'm not her. Neither are you. I just don't think all these people are useless leeches. Could she be? Sure. I had a friend once who would argue the sky is green if you said it was blue. Is that you? Nice to hear from you!
March 3, 201313 yr I will further elaborate on my opinion: it is pathetic to think it even remotely acceptable to bring a life into this world for money. I don't entertain ANY gray area here.
March 3, 201313 yr Why can't she go to college? Why can't she get a job? This. I love how we make excuses for everyone. Get out and get a job, stop taking my money that I earned because you choose to take advantage of the system. Help the people that truly need it, yes, but not the vast number of people who are taking advantage of the rest of us.
March 3, 201313 yr I had a friend once who would argue the sky is green if you said it was blue. Is that you? Nice to hear from you! :confused:Not exactly sure what I'm arguing? I agree that the mom's comment is off base. Am I arguing that it would be nice for people to be empathetic instead of demonizing all those that receive government aid? Sure.
March 3, 201313 yr :confused:Not exactly sure what I'm arguing? I agree that the mom's comment is off base. Am I arguing that it would be nice for people to be empathetic instead of demonizing all those that receive government aid? Sure. The problem is this is someone who is looking for ways to keep getting government assistance even if it means having a baby. Why not look for ways to make money so you don't need the government's help?
March 4, 201313 yr The problem is this is someone who is looking for ways to keep getting government assistance even if it means having a baby. Why not look for ways to make money so you don't need the government's help? Once again, I agree with you. I'm not trying to justify the idea of intentionally doing things only for the purpose of receiving a handout. However, we don't know their mindset or their level of hopelessness.
March 4, 201313 yr Once again, I agree with you. I'm not trying to justify the idea of intentionally doing things only for the purpose of receiving a handout. However, we don't know their mindset or their level of hopelessness. You are trying to find an excuse for a thought process that is wrong period. You either believe in personal responsibility or you do not. I believe we should help the helpless but I'm tired of helping the clueless.
March 4, 201313 yr Once again, I agree with you. I'm not trying to justify the idea of intentionally doing things only for the purpose of receiving a handout. However, we don't know their mindset or their level of hopelessness. Doesn't matter. Anyone who has a baby just so they can stay on government assistance is reprehensible. Absolutely no gray area or acceptable reasoning for doing it. Sent from my Samsung Stratosphere using Forum Runner
March 4, 201313 yr Oh, they are not clueless...it takes some smarts to play the system. I was a bleeding-heart liberal until I became the owner of a four family apartment building (at the age of 25, by WORKING for the $$ to buy it, btw). What my tenants managed to get and to get away with was sickening. They were living better than me some months. I certainly wasn't eating steak and seafood. The first cell phone I ever saw was in the hands of a guy who had lived with three different women in my building over the course of a year. I had regular arguments with my ultra-conservative father-in-law over the years that no one would have another baby for an additional $83 per month in "benefits"....I was wrong, he was right. I just found out, in my own family, a cousin I had lost touch with has never worked, has lived on assistance her whole life, as have her kids and ~ apparently ~ their kids. She is three months older than me, a grandmother before the age of 35. She has a freaking degree in social work!! Ridiculous!
March 4, 201313 yr Doesn't matter. Anyone who has a baby just so they can stay on government assistance is reprehensible. Absolutely no gray area or acceptable reasoning for doing it. Sent from my Samsung Stratosphere using Forum Runner I agree. It wasn't my intention to make it seem otherwise.
March 4, 201313 yr Author The system has enabled this type of thinking. The parent is reprehensible... and so is the system. No defense for either in my opinion.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.