January 13, 201313 yr Just had an arguement with someone who insisted that AR stood for assult rifle, I could not convince him it did not. Then he sent me all of these links and finally said just Google AR gun, which I did. There were tons of articles saying AR stands for assult rifles. Where do these things get started?
January 13, 201313 yr Author AR stands for Armalite, they were the original designers.That is what I kept telling him, and each time he kept sending me link after link saying otherwise, lol.
January 13, 201313 yr Just out of curiosity, SportsGuy41017, does your friend think BAR stands for Big Assault Riffle?
January 13, 201313 yr Author Just out of curiosity, SportsGuy41017, does your friend think BAR stands for Big Assault Riffle? Didn't say it was a friend, lol.
January 13, 201313 yr Didn't say it was a friend, lol.:lol: Tell them to check out the History link under the Library link. Then, smack them upside the head. :lol:
January 13, 201313 yr In my neck of the woods AR means Acoustic Research.They make some cool vintage turntables... Sorry I couldn't resist posting a pic of a turntable...
January 13, 201313 yr In my neck of the woods AR means Acoustic Research.They make some cool vintage turntables... Sorry I couldn't resist posting a pic of a turntable... Is that thing fully auto?
January 13, 201313 yr BTW, if this guy want's to argue, he could say AR stands for Armalite Rifle and likely be correct. But, I get what rubbish he was trying to push, too bad he was clueless. :lol:
January 13, 201313 yr In my neck of the woods AR means Acoustic Research.They make some cool vintage turntables... Sorry I couldn't resist posting a pic of a turntable... :lol: In my world AR stands for Accelerated Reading. How many AR points for that book?
January 13, 201313 yr Is that thing fully auto? No.It's fully manual.The only knock on these turntables,they don't have a cue lever. Not good if you have shaky hands.:scared:
January 13, 201313 yr Just had an arguement with someone who insisted that AR stood for assult rifle, I could not convince him it did not. Then he sent me all of these links and finally said just Google AR gun, which I did. There were tons of articles saying AR stands for assult rifles. Where do these things get started? By legal definition an 'assault rifle' is an weapon capable of engaging in selective (automatic) fire. This has been the definition for a long long time. AR-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia From above link (yes, its wiki but they should get this correct...) The "AR" in AR-15 comes from the ArmaLite name. ArmaLite's AR-1, AR-5, and some subsequent models were bolt action rifles, the AR-7 a semi-automatic survival rifle and there are shotguns and pistols whose model numbers include the "AR" prefix. Only Colt can use the AR-x name legally. Its a trademark. Hence why other manufacturers create names like 'Bushmaster'.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.