Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals and playoffs becoming a common thing?

Featured Replies

  • Author
How many playoff wins do the Bengals have in that time span? How many do they have in the last 20 years?

 

Making the playoffs isn't a great accomplishyment if you can't win a single game in the post season.

 

Make it to the AFCCG and then I'll be impressed.

 

They have zero never said they didn't. For my generation we grew up having to watch the Bengals be terrible in the 90's and the laughing stock of the league up until the early 2000's. Then in 2005 we have a team that brought hope to this city, to only see our QB get his knee torn up and the whole 2005 draft class be taken away because of injuries or bad character guys. So there was still no consistency there with the Bengals. However starting in 2009 they started doing things right, by building through the draft and getting talented by good character guys except for the bad decision to bring T.O. in. We have now seen this team get built like the two teams in our division who are so successful in the Steelers and Ravens. They build through the draft and start with putting together a great defense. This team has done that and it has shown by being 1 of 7 teams to be in the playoffs at least 3 times in the playoffs. Which means the Bengals are starting to become more consistent. So yes that is something to be happy about, because the consistency is getting there. Now they need to take that next step, and maybe it will happen this year or maybe next. However there is reason to believe it will happen since we have such a young team who is already being successful.

 

Don't forget it took the immaculate reception for the Steelers to finally win a playoff game, that set them up for their great run. Now not saying the Bengals will go on a run like the 70 Steelers obviously. However they had to build up to that moment, and then they finally were able to take that next step. So to act like people shouldn't be excited about this team is just dumb! There is plenty of reason to be excited about this team and its future no matter what happens in this years playoffs.

  • Replies 76
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have zero never said they didn't. For my generation we grew up having to watch the Bengals be terrible in the 90's and the laughing stock of the league up until the early 2000's. Then in 2005 we have a team that brought hope to this city, to only see our QB get his knee torn up and the whole 2005 draft class be taken away because of injuries or bad character guys. So there was still no consistency there with the Bengals. However starting in 2009 they started doing things right, by building through the draft and getting talented by good character guys except for the bad decision to bring T.O. in. We have now seen this team get built like the two teams in our division who are so successful in the Steelers and Ravens. They build through the draft and start with putting together a great defense. This team has done that and it has shown by being 1 of 7 teams to be in the playoffs at least 3 times in the playoffs. Which means the Bengals are starting to become more consistent. So yes that is something to be happy about, because the consistency is getting there. Now they need to take that next step, and maybe it will happen this year or maybe next. However there is reason to believe it will happen since we have such a young team who is already being successful.

 

Don't forget it took the immaculate reception for the Steelers to finally win a playoff game, that set them up for their great run. Now not saying the Bengals will go on a run like the 70 Steelers obviously. However they had to build up to that moment, and then they finally were able to take that next step. So to act like people shouldn't be excited about this team is just dumb! There is plenty of reason to be excited about this team and its future no matter what happens in this years playoffs.

You want to talk about your generation....let me tell you a story. I had season tickets since 1977. Was at the Freezer bowl, saw them win big games and lose bigger games. I gave my ticketys up in 2008 and the reason? Several reasons actually, 1. I got tired of giving thousands of dollars every year to Mike Brown and watch him do zilch to improve the team. He also keeps re-hiring the worst coach in the league. 2. It got to the point where it wasn't fun anymore going to games, having to deal with obnoxious drunks and the atmosphere at games had gotten so bad I felt bad anytime I would bring my kids to the games due to the idiots and the language etc. and 3. Wanted to spend more time with my family.

 

After going to games for over 30 years I can honestly say I haven't missed it one bit. Also I got tired of so many gullible fans who think the Bengals have finally turned the corner only to be proven wrong time and time again. This franchise will never win anything until Mike Brown is out of the picture. Fans like yourself have shown me once again how gullible some can be, you say you have followed this team since the 90's yet you still think they are a great team. If you have followed them that long you would know long ago that this team just isn't built to win on a constant basis. The offense this year is pathetic, we need a QB and an O-line and a RB and another WR.....sorry to dissapoint you but I don't get excited watching this team get embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs every time.

 

I applaud your enthusiasm, but I have to disagree with you when you say they are a yyoung team and can only get better. They have been a young team for over 20 years and have not gotten better. When the owner preaches about building through the draft yet lets his best draft picks get away such as Steinbach, Joseph and many others and refuses to get anyone in FA that is worth anything, sorry this team and Mike Brown has you pretty fooled as many others have been, but for me, nope...not until they can beat teams with winning records on a consistent basis or even win a playoff game.

 

You talk about the Bengals being consistent.....can you please show me where besides not bbeing able to beat good teams. Consistent where? Making the playoffs by beating teams with losing records isn't anything to be excited about. They are consistent...consistently bad.

Never once did I say they are a great team, but nice try. You are pretty good at that thought from all previous post I read from you in all other threads.

It is not a what if game, if those teams beat the Bengals then those teams would be looking at going to the playoffs again plain and simple. So since they can't beat the Bengals that means they are no longer good, that is basically what your saying. The reason why they couldn't beat them is because the Bengals are a good team. 3 out of 4 years in the playoffs show that they are a good team, its not that hard to grasp. Now are they as good as some of the other good teams and great teams they will see in the playoffs? That remains to be seen, and I even admitted that the Pats game will be a tough game for them.

Wrong. I didn't say those teams weren't good because they couldn't beat the begnals. I said those teams aren't good because they have losing records....there are a lot of teams they couldn't beat. So please show me where I said they are bad because they lost to the bengals. It looks like you are the one who makes things up.

 

Do me a favor, before making blanket statements do me a favor and do like I do and do some research before making claims like you have about the Bengals.

 

Here I will save you some time.

Lets look at the teams the Bengals beat this year and their record as of today

Cleveland 5-10 (Bengals also lost to them)

Washington 9-6 (the only team with winning record))

Jacksonville 2-13

Giants 6-10

Kansas City 2-13

Oakland 4-11

San Diego 6-9

Philly 4-11

Pitt 7-8

 

 

So please if you want to continue to make statements that claim me wrong, do me a favor and do some research, I will even let you do one to share with us all. The Bengals went to the playoffs last year right? Do me a favor and look at who we beat last year and list their records. I am willing to bet that we didn't beat more than say 3 teams, if thaat many that had a winning record.

Edited by Hellbird

  • Author
You want to talk about your generation....let me tell you a story. I had season tickets since 1977. Was at the Freezer bowl, saw them win big games and lose bigger games. I gave my ticketys up in 2008 and the reason? Several reasons actually, 1. I got tired of giving thousands of dollars every year to Mike Brown and watch him do zilch to improve the team. He also keeps re-hiring the worst coach in the league. 2. It got to the point where it wasn't fun anymore going to games, having to deal with obnoxious drunks and the atmosphere at games had gotten so bad I felt bad anytime I would bring my kids to the games due to the idiots and the language etc. and 3. Wanted to spend more time with my family.

 

After going to games for over 30 years I can honestly say I haven't missed it one bit. Also I got tired of so many gullible fans who think the Bengals have finally turned the corner only to be proven wrong time and time again. This franchise will never win anything until Mike Brown is out of the picture. Fans like yourself have shown me once again how gullible some can be, you say you have followed this team since the 90's yet you still think they are a great team. If you have followed them that long you would know long ago that this team just isn't built to win on a constant basis. The offense this year is pathetic, we need a QB and an O-line and a RB and another WR.....sorry to dissapoint you but I don't get excited watching this team get embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs every time.

 

I applaud your enthusiasm, but I have to disagree with you when you say they are a yyoung team and can only get better. They have been a young team for over 20 years and have not gotten better. When the owner preaches about building through the draft yet lets his best draft picks get away such as Steinbach, Joseph and many others and refuses to get anyone in FA that is worth anything, sorry this team and Mike Brown has you pretty fooled as many others have been, but for me, nope...not until they can beat teams with winning records on a consistent basis or even win a playoff game.

 

You talk about the Bengals being consistent.....can you please show me where besides not bbeing able to beat good teams. Consistent where? Making the playoffs by beating teams with losing records isn't anything to be excited about. They are consistent...consistently bad.

 

You have a problem with me for being opptimistic and I have a problem with you for letting past things affect the here and now. How bad they have been in the past MEANS NOTHING FOR THIS YEARS TEAM! NOTHING! If what happened in the past mattered, and this team was like past teams then they don't even come close to winning yesterday. You can keep watching with your bias of them being the Bengals things will never change, and I will keep watching them on the little things and how they perform. Its the bias of not being negative for why I was one of the few people the last few years who have seen that they have had the talent to do well. You talk about how they consistently beat bad teams, but guess what good teams do? They do exactly that! Are they at the level of the Pats, Packers, etc who always beat the bad teams and also usually beat the best teams? Nope. Yet once again you wanted to say that I said the Bengals were great, yet once again never said that. However that is what you do on here, so thats understandable.

 

You talk about how I said they are a young team which they are. However you also seemed to leave out the fact that I also talked about how they were a young team with good character guys for once too. They are a young team who expects to win, not to lose like the past teams. These young guys have no idea about the past of this team, and how they are suppose to find ways to lose not to find ways to win like they have. This team the last two years have shown that, and have shown how they can move on from a bad play or a bad game and keep on going. The past Bengal teams would let stuff like that destroy them.

 

You talk about you are tired of them being embarrassed in the playoffs. However besides last year when were they embarrassed in the playoffs? They were not in 2005 they were even winning at halftime, and that Steelers team won the Super Bowl. They were not embarrassed in 2009 and were right in that game and would have had a chance to win in the end if the kicker had not decided he wanted to miss chip shot field goals. They have not won, however they were not embarrassed at all except maybe last year.

 

Marvin definitely is not a good game manager, I can't argue that. Mike Brown for the majority of his years as owner has made many more wrong decisions than right. However he and the Bengals have done a great job the last three years in the draft and with player evaluations. So maybe they are learning or have someone who is really smart because they have been getting it right lately even though you would rahter them not.

 

So you keep being a fan of wanting them being bad so you can sing your praises on how your right not to really support them. While I keep on being an actual fan. Have they let me down yes more times than not, will they maybe let me down again this year yes possibly. If your going to be a fan then be a fan, if not then why not find a new team since you are so unhappy with them and have not faith in them. I mean shoot I would have thought someone like you would believe anything is possible once the game is played. I would hope you didn't have that thinking about your Cooper Jags when they played for the state title. Even though Bowling Green was the big time favorite, I hope you didn't think there was no chance Cooper could win. As they shown on the field they deserved to be there and deserved to have that chance. Just like the Bengals deserve to have the chance to play in the playoffs because they did what they had to do to get there. Then once you get there anything is possible. There is no reason not to be excited since there is always that chance it could happen. Especially with this young team who does have a bright future even though you rather them not.

  • Author
Wrong. I didn't say those teams weren't good because they couldn't beat the begnals. I said those teams aren't good because they have losing records....there are a lot of teams they couldn't beat. So please show me where I said they are bad because they lost to the bengals. It looks like you are the one who makes things up.

 

Do me a favor, before making blanket statements do me a favor and do like I do and do some research before making claims like you have about the Bengals.

 

Here I will save you some time.

Lets look at the teams the Bengals beat this year and their record as of today

Cleveland 5-10 (Bengals also lost to them)

Washington 9-6 (the only team with winning record))

Jacksonville 2-13

Giants 6-10

Kansas City 2-13

Oakland 4-11

San Diego 6-9

Philly 4-11

Pitt 7-8

 

 

So please if you want to continue to make statements that claim me wrong, do me a favor and do some research, I will even let you do one to share with us all. The Bengals went to the playoffs last year right? Do me a favor and look at who we beat last year and list their records. I am willing to bet that we didn't beat more than say 3 teams, if thaat many that had a winning record.

 

I claimed you wrong in the fact that if the Giants and Steelers just beat the Bengals then they would be in the playoffs. Also before you decide to list statements how about you try to list true facts unlike the one you provided that says the Giants are 6 and 10. The Giants right now still have a winning record at 8 and 7 but nice try. Maybe you should do a little bit more research. Or I guess you think Denver is overrated then too, since they have only beaten one team with a winning record. Or how about the Pats who played one of the easier schedules in football this year themselves. Or what about Atlanta, or what about Houston who only beat really two good teams this year. Or what about Washington who only has two good wins themselves based on what you seem to think are good wins. You can go look at it for youself and see what I just looked up about those teams. I mean with your thinking we really shouldn't have many teams at all in the playoffs this year, because no one really has shown to deserve it since most of these teams have not beaten that many good teams either. I say we make the NFL like college football and just use like a BCS system where strength of schedule is involved and have the two highest ranked teams play. I mean we see how well that works out, and why college football is sticking to that great system...

 

I think Tom Coughlin said it best yesterday when he was asked if his team deserved to be in if they get all the help they need to squeak in. He said if we get in then we deserve to be in. Teams play 16 games for a reason, and you have to go out and win enough games to make the playoffs. In the NFL you see bad teams beat good teams. So no matter what schedule you play or how you get in, if you get in then you deserve to be in.

  • Author

However Hellbird as you try to figure out that the Giants don't have a 6 and 10 record and actually have a winning record still. I am going to stop this discussion because there is no much you can say to really change my opinion on this, especially when you post false research like on the Giants haha. So to save the rest of the people on here from having both of us go back and forth for a long time with long post from both of us. I will stop now and wish you a Merry Christmas! :D

 

I hope to be cheering on the same team as you when the Bengals play in the playoffs, since apparently your suppose to be a fan. I sure hope you are not rooting against them so you can have stuff to complain about. Merry Christmas once again. Who Dey :D

I wouldn't consider the Giants a good win.

 

The Bengals game was near the beginning of a horrible stretch of games for the Giants (excluding the N.O. Game).

  • Author
I wouldn't consider the Giants a good win.

 

The Bengals game was near the beginning of a horrible stretch of games for the Giants (excluding the N.O. Game).

 

Based on people's standards then this year. The majority of the teams who will be in the playoffs this year then have barely any good wins. So even if people want to downgrade the Bengals on that, then they need to look at the wins of the other teams and see how they don't have really many good wins either based on people's standards. So the Bengals fit pretty closely with the other teams with their resume. The main difference is their name is the Bengals, and people can get past that and the reason why people haven't not down played most of the other teams schedules.

 

Not to mention the Giants the very next game after the Bengals beat them, the Giants came out and destroyed the Packers. So the Giants were not on their bad stretch yet.

 

Based on people's standards then this year. The majority of the teams who will be in the playoffs this year then have barely any good wins. So even if people want to downgrade the Bengals on that, then they need to look at the wins of the other teams and see how they don't have really many good wins either based on people's standards. So the Bengals fit pretty closely with the other teams with their resume. The main difference is their name is the Bengals, and people can get past that and the reason why people haven't not down played most of the other teams schedules.

 

Not to mention the Giants the very next game after the Bengals beat them, the Giants came out and destroyed the Packers. So the Giants were not on their bad stretch yet.

 

I said the Bengals game was near the beginning of a horrible stretch. It started the week before vs Pittsburgh. That game started a 2-5 stretch for the Giants. So yes, it was right in the middle of a bad stretch. The Packers and Saints game the Giants somehow managed to win....I'm not really sure how.

Just some thoughts:

1. Posts in this thread are long and I can't hang on long enough to read all that

2. I am a Bengals fan & proud of it. It is my hometown team and it is who I grew up watching and rooting for

3. Sounds like HellBird is a Steelers fan :)

4. If everyone who claimed to be at the Freezer Bowl was actually there Riverfront must've held 1 million fans that day.

5. Why is it so hard to give Marvin Lewis & the Bengals credit? Fact: they are in the playoffs again! I know they have not won one in awhile, but you gotta get there first.

6. Mike Brown has spent the $ lately and it shows on the field

7. Not sure who does the drafting the last few years, but they are doing a damn good job. Not to mention the Palmer trade was great for the Bengals!

8. I think any time you beat the NY Giants it is a quality win! They are one of the big boys in the NFL.

9. Also, the beat Washington & SD on the road and beat up Palmer and the Raiders!

10. Did I mention the Bengals beat the steelers in Pittsburgh in a game that was basically a playoff game.

11. Lewis' call on 4th &22 was there! Catch the ball!

  • Author

To be fair since people still don't want to give the Bengals credit and talk about well they haven't beaten good teams. I decided to show what all "good and even great teams" the division leaders and or known playoff teams have beaten so far. I am using the criteria of what it seems like people determine a good team. Since I now know that people don't consider the Steelers or Giants to be good wins. I am guessing since the Giants are 8 and 7 but with three very good wins, that I should not count any team with an 8 and 7 record as a good win for teams since the other 8 and 7 teams don't have as good as resume as the Giants. So here is how it turned out:

 

Packers- 2 good wins (Houston and Minnesota and Minnesota might end up not being a playoff team. So we might not even count them as a good team based on peoples criteria.)

 

Seattle- 4 good wins (Green Bay, San Fran, New England, and Minnesota)

 

San Francisco- 3 good wins (New England, Seattle, Green Bay)

 

Washington- 2 good wins (Baltimore, and Minnesota which as said may not even count as a good win.)

 

Atlanta- 2 good wins (Denver and Washington. Its 0 good wins if people want to say they dont count because RG3 had only played 4 games and Peyton Manning wasn't fully back yet)

 

Denver- 1 Good win (Baltimore)

 

Baltimore- 1 Good win (Houston)

 

New England- 3 good wins (Houston, Indy, Denver)

 

Houston- 3 good wins (Baltimore, Denver, Indy)

 

Indy- 2 good wins (Green Bay, and Minnesota which may not be a good win)

 

Bengals- 1 good win (Washington)

 

So hmmm seems to may the majority of these playoff teams didn't go out and have many good wins either. So that means they were either losing to other good teams like the Bengals have, or were losing to bad teams. So please people stop acting like its just a Bengals thing. It may be hard to believe but the Bengals are a good team and deserve to be here just like the other teams. And if they don't deserve to be here then Denver, Baltimore, Indy, Atlanta, Washington, and Green Bay don't either. So we might as well just have a final four for the playoffs of Houston, New England, San Fran, and Seattle.

  • Author
I said the Bengals game was near the beginning of a horrible stretch. It started the week before vs Pittsburgh. That game started a 2-5 stretch for the Giants. So yes, it was right in the middle of a bad stretch. The Packers and Saints game the Giants somehow managed to win....I'm not really sure how.

 

They didn't just manage to win those games, they dominated those games. Giants actually have more good quality wins than most of the top teams in the NFL has this year. So that shows how good of a team the Giants have. The Giants could end up with just 7 losses and 5 of them being from possible playoff teams. So its not like they were going out and losing to bad teams. It took good teams to beat them, which they also showed they could beat those good teams too.

  • Author
Just some thoughts:

1. Posts in this thread are long and I can't hang on long enough to read all that

2. I am a Bengals fan & proud of it. It is my hometown team and it is who I grew up watching and rooting for

3. Sounds like HellBird is a Steelers fan :)

4. If everyone who claimed to be at the Freezer Bowl was actually there Riverfront must've held 1 million fans that day.

5. Why is it so hard to give Marvin Lewis & the Bengals credit? Fact: they are in the playoffs again! I know they have not won one in awhile, but you gotta get there first.

6. Mike Brown has spent the $ lately and it shows on the field

7. Not sure who does the drafting the last few years, but they are doing a damn good job. Not to mention the Palmer trade was great for the Bengals!

8. I think any time you beat the NY Giants it is a quality win! They are one of the big boys in the NFL.

9. Also, the beat Washington & SD on the road and beat up Palmer and the Raiders!

10. Did I mention the Bengals beat the steelers in Pittsburgh in a game that was basically a playoff game.

11. Lewis' call on 4th &22 was there! Catch the ball!

 

I have mentioned this before. It seems like people have become so use to the bengals doing things wrong. That they can't believe that maybe this franchise has done somethings right, so they would rather complain about things. Like now its who they have played and beat, even though thats not a great argument because as I just shown its not like many of the playoff teams this year have went out and beat all these other good teams. Teams play who is on their schedule, and the teams who are in the playoffs have done a better job with it and deserve to be there. So as fans we should be excited to have a team that even though it may be a long shot, they still have a shot.

Just some thoughts:

1. Posts in this thread are long and I can't hang on long enough to read all that

2. I am a Bengals fan & proud of it. It is my hometown team and it is who I grew up watching and rooting for

3. Sounds like HellBird is a Steelers fan :)

4. If everyone who claimed to be at the Freezer Bowl was actually there Riverfront must've held 1 million fans that day.

5. Why is it so hard to give Marvin Lewis & the Bengals credit? Fact: they are in the playoffs again! I know they have not won one in awhile, but you gotta get there first.

6. Mike Brown has spent the $ lately and it shows on the field

7. Not sure who does the drafting the last few years, but they are doing a damn good job. Not to mention the Palmer trade was great for the Bengals!

8. I think any time you beat the NY Giants it is a quality win! They are one of the big boys in the NFL.

9. Also, the beat Washington & SD on the road and beat up Palmer and the Raiders!

10. Did I mention the Bengals beat the steelers in Pittsburgh in a game that was basically a playoff game.

11. Lewis' call on 4th &22 was there! Catch the ball!

You couldn't be more wrong. I can't stand the steelers, have been one of the biggest Bengals fans you will ever know. So much so that I was the original administrator of the Bengals Message Board on the Bengals web site.

 

Also I was at the freezer bowl and could actually care less if you believe it or not because you matter nothing to me and could care less. I sat in section 110 row 10 seat 4 where our season tickets were and actually have in my basement a picture of me and my dad that was in the newspaper from the game.

 

now about your points.

 

#5 Marvin Lewis if coached for any other team would of been fired long ago. There was and is no other coach in the entire league that has coached for a decade and only has 4 winning seasons and 0 playoff wins.

 

#6 first off Mike Brown has been among the least spending owners n the NFL. When he does spend money he wastes it on the wrong players. Just look at the players he has franchised tagged over the past 6 years and see who is still here and who was worth the money in the first place. Next year Mike Brown is forced to spend money due to the new collective barganing agreement....this year and last year he spent the least out of the majority of teams so quit claiming he spends the money when the facts state otherwise.

 

#7...The Palmer trade was a no brainer, it wasn't Mike who initiated the trade, it was the Raiders so don't give credit for doing what anyone would of done if offered.

 

#8. The giants aren't even in the playoffs, again, another losing record team we beat.

 

#9 San Diego a horrible team....Washington we beat when they had a rookie QB in only his 2nd game and also allowed them to score over 30 points.

 

#10 another bad team with a losing record.

 

#11 one of the dumbest calls of the year, how you can defend a 4th and 22 call when we were leading at the time is just plain stupid.

 

Do me a favor and don't try and tell me who and what I am a fan of, you don't know me and by your posts you know very little about football.

They didn't just manage to win those games, they dominated those games. Giants actually have more good quality wins than most of the top teams in the NFL has this year. So that shows how good of a team the Giants have. The Giants could end up with just 7 losses and 5 of them being from possible playoff teams. So its not like they were going out and losing to bad teams. It took good teams to beat them, which they also showed they could beat those good teams too.

Didn't the Giants just lose their last 2 games by a combined score of 70 something to 14? Thought so. Don't make them out to be anything other than what they are, a very average team at best.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.