Simon Kenton 22 Beechwood 20 (JV)

A wild ending to this one. I will have the game story later this afternoon. Beechwood ended the game with a first down at the one yard line, out of timeouts. Score was SK 22 BW 20. Beechwood spiked the ball after getting the first down at the one. There was 25 seconds left. On second down they ran the ball and the refs spotted it just short of the goal line. Remember, no timeouts so they run the hurry up play, QB tried to sneak it and got nowhere. Less than 10 seconds, clock running, hurry up again and the QB spiked the ball on fourth down. Obviously, the QB did not realize it was fourth down, most likely because of the spike play on first down. It was his first game at QB so I put no fault on him. A crazy situation for your first game at QB.

A wild ending to this one. I will have the game story later this afternoon. Beechwood ended the game with a first down at the one yard line, out of timeouts. Score was SK 22 BW 20. Beechwood spiked the ball after getting the first down at the one. There was 25 seconds left. On second down they ran the ball and the refs spotted it just short of the goal line. Remember, no timeouts so they run the hurry up play, QB tried to sneak it and got nowhere. Less than 10 seconds, clock running, hurry up again and the QB spiked the ball on fourth down. Obviously, the QB did not realize it was fourth down, most likely because of the spike play on first down. It was his first game at QB so I put no fault on him. A crazy situation for your first game at QB.

That "first down" was not a spike....it was a fumble, recovered by the offense (QB) who scored a TD. So since we had no TD, the only other thing it could have been was an inadvertent whistle. Which would not have been counted as a down. This might have lead to some of the confusion.

That "first down" was not a spike....it was a fumble, recovered by the offense (QB) who scored a TD. So since we had no TD, the only other thing it could have been was an inadvertent whistle. Which would not have been counted as a down. This might have lead to some of the confusion.

Interesting. That first down play was strange. It was a fumbled snap. I could not tell what happened after the QB picked the ball up but when the whistle blew immediately I assumed the QB either tossed the ball down quickly after picking it up or at least the officials ruled it a spike. Did the officials say it was an inadvertent whistle? If it was an inadvertent whistle, shouldn't the officials have reset the game clock and the downs?

Interesting. That first down play was strange. It was a fumbled snap. I could not tell what happened after the QB picked the ball up but when the whistle blew immediately I assumed the QB either tossed the ball down quickly after picking it up or at least the officials ruled it a spike. Did the officials say it was an inadvertent whistle?

Haven't spoken with anyone.....Just know that the rule states for a play to be considered a "spike", First it has to be a clean exchange between center and QB, with one step taken backward and the ball thrown forward into the ground.....That clearly did not happen!

Haven't spoken with anyone.....Just know that the rule states for a play to be considered a "spike", First it has to be a clean exchange between center and QB, with one step taken backward and the ball thrown forward into the ground.....That clearly did not happen!

Regardless of what actually happened, I think the officials ruled it a spike. If it was an inadvertent whistle, wouldn't they reset the clock?

A field goal wins the game and the Beechwood kicker looked capable. He kicked the ball down to the 10 on a couple kickoffs. Good question.

IMO the JV had probably not worked much on special teams, that probably went into the thought process, but you are correct, a couple of kicks had plenty of leg to make a chip shot. Staff will probably make sure they concentrate more on special teams play in the upcoming weeks.

Good game for both teams, as one person said, both teams seem to be well stocked moving forward.

IMO the JV had probably not worked much on special teams, that probably went into the thought process, but you are correct, a couple of kicks had plenty of leg to make a chip shot. Staff will probably make sure they concentrate more on special teams play in the upcoming weeks.

Good game for both teams, as one person said, both teams seem to be well stocked moving forward.

The thing you have to really like as a Beechwood fan, any time a small 1A school competes in a JV contest with a big school, especially a 6A school with much greater numbers, you have to feel good regardless of game score. That is impressive depth for a 1A school. Beechwood looks well stocked based on this game.

Jeremy Burns #6 is the Kicker for Beechwood's JV also starts offense and defense. From my understanding Beechwood played the entire roster in this game to get some improvement in players. Where as simon kenton played very few.

Nevertheless beechwood should have kicked the field goal poor coaching for the tigers and this is the way that the JV has always been. Poorly coached.

The way the game ended they should have put the ball out of the qurterbacks hands. Hunter Spahn #8 had a great game but i think the coaches relied on the kid too much he is a great quarterback and will be great in the future but in your first game at QB I dont think they should have put that on the kid.

Good Win By SK though