Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

50 most successful programs in the last 50 years

Featured Replies

If you read the scoring explanation, they do have a stipulation that an independent gets the 5 points if they finished the AP Poll ahead of two major conference champions. Not sure if that would affect Dayton much or not.

 

Seems reasonable, but I've never really cared for the "major conference" term as it tends to get applied in basketball.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

22 (t) - Penn

22 (t) - Princeton

20 (t) - Utah

20 (t) - Purdue

19 - Memphis

18 - Temple

17 - Marquette

16 - Villanova

15 - Ohio State

14 - UNLV

13 - Michigan

12 - Georgetown

11 - Michigan State

By my figuring, UK should end up somewhere around 800 points. I got 810, but could be off a few points as I wasn't sure how the sanctions would end up tallying, and I'm not 100% sure on the AA's and top 10 picks. But, 810 should be pretty close.

 

That took a while, so I'm thinking I won't be figuring anyone else. :lol:

 

I think the end results might be a surprise to some. The last time they did something like this was prior to Cal's current run. Cal has netted the Cats a lot of points in his 3 seasons.

Edited by 5wide

I'm not sure what the criteria are for first and second team AA's, since there are various lists - AP, NCAA, etc. Which do they go by or do they all count? And, I'm also not sure about the particulars of any teams past NCAA sanctions. I know UCLA has some, but I'm not sure how many nor what they were.

 

As is, I'm predicting...

 

1. North Carolina

2. UCLA

3. Kentucky

4. Duke

5. Kansas

I'm not sure what the criteria are for first and second team AA's, since there are various lists - AP, NCAA, etc. Which do they go by or do they all count? And, I'm also not sure about the particulars of any teams past NCAA sanctions. I know UCLA has some, but I'm not sure how many nor what they were.

 

As is, I'm predicting...

 

1. North Carolina

2. UCLA

3. Kentucky

4. Duke

5. Kansas

 

I would think those top two are accurate. Not sure if UK will be ahead of Duke, though.

I would think those top two are accurate. Not sure if UK will be ahead of Duke, though.

 

I'm mentally prepared. If UK is higher than Duke then the formula is fine. If Duke is higher than UK then the formula will be garbage.

 

 

Watch. :D

I'm mentally prepared. If UK is higher than Duke then the formula is fine. If Duke is higher than UK then the formula will be garbage.

 

 

Watch. :D

 

When I try to do the "best program" evaluation, I basically go back to the 90's. That's when I really started caring. During that time, Duke has been the premier program. I feel like what Coach K has done might eclipse what Wooden did, because it's tougher today than it was back then IMO. Carolina & Kentucky would be behind them, though I'm not sure in what order.

When I try to do the "best program" evaluation, I basically go back to the 90's. That's when I really started caring. During that time, Duke has been the premier program. I feel like what Coach K has done might eclipse what Wooden did, because it's tougher today than it was back then IMO. Carolina & Kentucky would be behind them, though I'm not sure in what order.

 

It is tougher today, but 10 titles in 12 years including 7 straight from '67-73 and an 88 game win streak thrown in to boot dwarfs anything ever accomplished in college basketball. UCLA's overall record from '67-73 was 205 wins vs. 5 losses. A winning % of .976.

I would think those top two are accurate. Not sure if UK will be ahead of Duke, though.

 

My first and second team AA values are estimates/guesses, and to some degree the top 10 picks. And, the sanction deductions are tougher to track down, so I could only include the ones I was sure about, with a little guesswork. As is, I'm thinking it is something like this...

 

1. North Carolina - ~925 (928)

2. UCLA - ~850 (858)

3. Kentucky - 810

4. Duke - ~750-800 (768)

5. Kansas - ~700-750 (708)

 

Indiana, I'm thinking is in the 400-450 range.

 

 

The AA's and sanctions, depending on how much I'm off, could possibly flip flop 3 and 4, but I think the other ones are pretty solid (the positions, if not the point totals). Of course, I may have a huge mistake in there somewhere and be off terribly. I was trying to do it quickly but be as accurate as possible in that context.

Edited by 5wide

It is tougher today, but 10 titles in 12 years including 7 straight from '67-73 and an 88 game win streak thrown in to boot dwarfs anything ever accomplished in college basketball. UCLA's overall record from '67-73 was 205 wins vs. 5 losses. A winning % of .976.

 

I certainly don't want to lessen the importance of UCLA's accomplishments. And I'm not saying I for sure feel like what Coach K has done surpasses what Wooden did. But I think an argument can be made. You certainly made a convincing one for the Bruins.

I certainly don't want to lessen the importance of UCLA's accomplishments. And I'm not saying I for sure feel like what Coach K has done surpasses what Wooden did. But I think an argument can be made. You certainly made a convincing one for the Bruins.

 

I have made that argument before. Nobody is listening though. Trust me.

  • Author

Guess we know now 5wide... (edited to add the rest)

 

10 - Arizona

9 - UConn

8 - Syracuase

7 - IU

6 - UofL

5 - Kansas

4 - Duke

3 - Kentucky

2 - UCLA

1 - UNC

Edited by mobaar

I have made that argument before. Nobody is listening though. Trust me.

 

Believe me, it's painful to make that argument. :lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.