Newport Central Catholic 5 Ryle 3

Great game from NCC perspective. Not so great from Ryle perspective. NCC got a terrific pitching performance from Bartel, who went the distance. Very nice pitcher who has a solid curve that he gets over consistently, good zip on his fastball, and very good control. Surprised I haven't heard more about him up until now (probably me not paying enough attention). NCC played outstanding defense and got two plays from their RF that were flat-out ridiculous. The first one was a headfirst diving catch of a tailing foulball down the RF line in the 2nd inning (I think) that he dove at without any regard for the fact that he was headed right towards and very close to the concrete wall. The second one was not quite as spectacular, but still darn impressive, and hurt Ryle even more, as it occurred in the 6th inning with Ryle down to just a few precious outs.

Ryle led this game 1-0 after the first inning and held the lead through 3 innings. In the 4th, NCC put 5 unearned runs on the board. Ryle had a couple of errors that hurt them and NCC took advantage with several timely hits. Ryle really never got much going with the sticks tonight. They put together a little rally in the 7th inning with 2 outs and had runners at 2B and 3B when the final out was made. Right before this batter struck out to end the game, he hit a slicing ball down the RF line that landed no more than 6 inches foul and would have tied the game. But it was not to be. Ultimately, NCC played the better game tonight and deserved to win. Hats off to them and best of luck going forward.

I would have been willing to bet you my house that the championship game in the 9th would not consist of the two teams coming out of the 36th district.

Clearly, I would be homeless tonight.

NCC, who has had some fielding issues at times this year (at least from what I've seen and heard) has played outstanding defense to date and gotten terrific pitching from Cain and Bartel. Defense and pitching - the heart of quality baseball. And Highlands goes to show what happens when a team gets hot at the right time of year. They've got a ton of momemtum going into tomorrow night's game and would think a fair amount of confidence, having knocked off NCC just a week ago. Should be a great game.

I second Coop in saying a)Bartel was really good and b)I've not heard anything about him.

Who was the RFer who made those two crazy catches?

I found it was Dom Pangallo who made the catches.

The errors certainly hurt Ryle last night but the blame for the loss goes all around. The pitcher still has to get guys out after his defense commits errors. NCC had , I think, 3 straight hits after the errors. You also have to put runners on base and knock them in and Ryle's offense simply failed to do so.

Two "ump" situations last night and I think the ump got both right.

Ryle was batting with 1 out and a runner on 1st. 2 strikes on the batter. R1 takes off on a steal attempt. Batter swings and misses for strike 3 and his follow through caused the NC catcher to hesitate on his throw. Ump correctly called both the runner out for the batter interference. Had it not been strike 3 then the batter would have been out and the runner would have returned to 1st.

Later with NC batting the NC runner takes off on a steal attempt. NC batter swings and misses and his follow through brings him over the plate where he ducks. The Ryle catcher threw to second without any contact with the batter nor without any hesitation. No interference called. I just play an umpire on here but I'm 99% sure there it's not interference if neither contact nor a delay in the throw occurs.

Two "ump" situations last night and I think the ump got both right.

Ryle was batting with 1 out and a runner on 1st. 2 strikes on the batter. R1 takes off on a steal attempt. Batter swings and misses for strike 3 and his follow through caused the NC catcher to hesitate on his throw. Ump correctly called both the runner out for the batter interference. Had it not been strike 3 then the batter would have been out and the runner would have returned to 1st.

Later with NC batting the NC runner takes off on a steal attempt. NC batter swings and misses and his follow through brings him over the plate where he ducks. The Ryle catcher threw to second without any contact with the batter nor without any hesitation. No interference called. I just play an umpire on here but I'm 99% sure there it's not interference if neither contact nor a delay in the throw occurs.

I'm not too certain I'd agree with the first bolded part. I would think it would be pretty unusual for a batter to be positioned over the plate, even though ducking, and not affect the catcher's throw to some degree. The rule doesn't require contact, as you said, but goes beyond just causing a "delay" in his throw. it is sufficient if the batter's action "hinders" the catcher's throwing. So that would include causing the catcher to alter his throwing motion so as to avoid any contact, which is what I believe occurred in the above situation. I thought it was interference, as obviously did a slightly agitated Coach Roesel - haha. That being said, I am certain Ryle also got away with one a couple innings earlier when their batter (on a protection swing) was clearly in the catcher's way when he threw to second.

I'm not too certain I'd agree with the first bolded part. I would think it would be pretty unusual for a batter to be positioned over the plate, even though ducking, and not affect the catcher's throw to some degree. The rule doesn't require contact, as you said, but goes beyond just causing a "delay" in his throw. it is sufficient if the batter's action "hinders" the catcher's throwing. So that would include causing the catcher to alter his throwing motion so as to avoid any contact, which is what I believe occurred in the above situation (as obviously did a slightly agitatedCoach Roesel - haha). I thought it was interference. That being said, I am certain Ryle also got away with one a couple innings earlier when their batter (on a protection swing) was clearly in the catcher's way when he threw to second.

If he makes a clean throw without having to move or hesitate it's not going to be called unless that new throwing motion was underhanded or Dan Quisenberry style to get around the batter. If it's one clean motion it's not getting called from what I gather.

Clyde I tend to agree with Coop on this one. When Pat had a discussion with Blue in the inning prior, IMHO he bought the one that Coop talked about Blue missing and indeed the one Blue missed IMHO was even worse than the one he called! Of note after that inning JJ came down to talk to Blue! Now did they talk about that play? I don't know :idunno:but I haven't see JJ come down like that in any other game!